Mens Tennis Forums banner

Whom did this break saved?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Murray despite having some problems on his serve was increadibly clutch and eventually found his way to be competetive and even prevail vs Djokovic. He was totally outplayed in the first 2 sets, but has found his rythm and his shots vs pushing wall.

Do you agree that now ,after the break, all this momentum gained by Murray will be gone and Djokovic will start pushing and easily win that 4th set 6-4 or something tomorrow. Murray won't have enough time to find his range and shots. So actually those chances Murray might have had in this match in the 4th set are an old history now.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
It is hard to say, 2013USO Final, Djokovic failed to break Nadal 3rd set 4-4 0:40, and then fell apart. But Murray also hanging by a thread, handing out 7 bp in first 3 service games, if he got broken it is likely game over.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Andy...

Although Novak was nervous on 4th... he still gonna sleep rethinking what he have done wrong why he didn't finish this match... nightmare!

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Murray got broken right back, how is that "his momentum"? And he was barely standing on his legs, with Novak getting multiple BPs on his serve.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
If Andy wins tomo, is Novak still saved?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
The postpone to tommorow saved Andy from losing in 4, he was again losing stamina and serve, fighting very hard and Djokovic was starting to play his tennis again. So no

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I think it favours Murray. If you need to come back from 0-2 would you rather do it over one day or two? Murray can sleep tonight knowing he has a 2nd life in this match.
I still think Djokovic takes it in 4 though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think that in that 4th set at 3-3 Murray had something like a 40% chance to win the 4th and 5th, tomorrow he has something like 10-15%. Because Novak will be fresh and ready for pushing, he won't be missing like he started in the 3d set today. It's a game over for Andy.

·
Registered
17,906 Posts
Murray was almost broken right away in the 4th and then WAS broken.

Is that the momentum OP was referring to?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Answer to this question was already given by Mats Wilander.
Novak wanted to immediately continue after the rain and Andy wanted to postpone for tomorrow.
Obviously he was at the end of his energy levels.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Not a chance Murray would have been able to keep up that level of intensity for the rest of the evenings play.

The break came at a good time for him. Can't afford to make his usual slow start tomorrow though.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
i think that in that 4th set at 3-3 Murray had something like a 40% chance to win the 4th and 5th, tomorrow he has something like 10-15%. Because Novak will be fresh and ready for pushing, he won't be missing like he started in the 3d set today. It's a game over for Andy.
this.
although Andy was struggling, Novak was not at the top of his game either, so Andy had some chances
tomorrow - no way, easy 6-3 in the 4th for Novak

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I am surprised to see many people think this isn´t such an advantage for Djokovic, because while reading the livescore thread I had an impression that people think that it favours Novak much more. As I wrote in other thread, I personally think this break isn´t bad for Murray. We have seen many times Djokovic looking tired and then playing well again in the decider. He is strong enough. Murray is the one who needed this break given his history of struggling against Djokovic in later stages of the match.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am surprised to see many people think this isn´t such an advantage for Djokovic, because while reading the livescore thread I had an impression that people think that it favours Novak much more. As I wrote in other thread, I personally think this break isn´t bad for Murray. We have seen many times Djokovic looking tired and then playing well again in the decider. He is strong enough. Murray is the one who needed this break given his history of struggling against Djokovic in later stages of the match.
Yes, you are right. Confirmed by the players themselves before the announcement that the match will continue tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Andy. Novak will come out tight and hand Andy the break, similar to how he did after Nadal got the RG final stopped in 2012 after Nole was trashing him.

·
Registered
21,947 Posts
Neither, Murray wouldn't have won had they enough time to complete it even in 5, tomorrow Novak also will be fresh again.
Though enough with this hypo-threads from Fedfans, have seen enough jinxes from them already in last 2 days. :eek:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
definitely favoured murray

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I doubt it'll matter tbh. Novak will win in 4 or an easy fifth set 6-2 or something. His defence on a clay court is quite unreal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts