Mens Tennis Forums banner

Do you agree Cincy/USO should be cancelled and Madrid and Rome each advanced one week?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Given the current COVID-19 situation in the southern US states, and the fact that many European players will not attend if Cincy/US Open go ahead with the draconian restrictions (What's a slam at this point without Nadal or Djokovic or both?) Does it make sense to simply scrap US hardcourts all together at this point and just focus on getting as many players as possible to attend all 3 European clay tournaments?

There are 2 benefits to advancing Madrid and Rome by one week each:
(1) Gives top players who make it to semis and final in Rome more than just 1-2 days rest before they play in Paris. Remember they've likely played many consecutive days already in Madrid and Rome.
(2) Gives lower-ranked players chance to play in both Rome and Paris qualies, instead of playing Paris qualies while Rome matches are going on.

·
|
15,009 Posts
And ironically Novak is currently the most unappealing man in tennis, so him being in America (where he's disliked even more) is not a great thing.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Yes, of course that's what should happen.

We should be playing tennis in Europe now.

But why would the USTA accommodate the FFT in this matter, when the FFT screwed them over?

Something could easily be organised to everyone's mutual benefit, but that requires cooperation and good will. And the French Open scuppered any hope of that. So now the French Open, which could easily be held in late July or August, is scheduled for a date when Europe will probably experience a second wave.

There's a very real prospect of having only 1 or 2 official tournaments when we could have had 6 or 7.

This is what happens when amateurs try to act tough and only manage to shoot themselves in the foot.

What a shambles.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
If they can organize it without getting everyone sick then that’s fine but I still don’t know why they chose to have tournaments in the US where the virus is at its worst. Tournaments should be scheduled where the virus is scarce and not spreading like wildfire.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
No cancellations. I vote in favor of organizing the events as per the schedule and players are free to show-up or not show-up; that's their call.

People who live in the US are not giving a rat's ass about virus and they are doing their thing. On the other hand, people who live outside US are shit scared and making a big deal of virus's situation in the US. LOL.

I can tell you one thing. You can play tennis for three weeks in the US, right now, and it won't be a huge issue.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
ActuaIIy, had ATP, ITF & whatever other reIevant governing body had courage & foresight, we couId have compIeted a major by now. I think current HC tourn. along w/ USO format is fine but if for whatever Iame reason it must b canceIed, then i think it's onIy fair that at Ieast a Grass major is salvaged like for CIay so that we couId have aII the surfaces covered in GS format for 2020. My proposaI is to aim for hoIding a Grass major sometime after FO between Oct.-Dec. in Aus. & after its compIetion, most of the participants couId choose to remain there & train/prepare for AO21.

·
|
15,009 Posts
ActuaIIy, had ATP & ITF & whatever other reIevant governing body had courage & foresight, we couId have compIeted a major by now. I think current HC tourn. along w/ USO format is fine but if for whatever Iame reason it must b canceIed, then i think it's onIy fair at Ieast a Grass major is salvaged like for CIay so that we couId have aII the surfaces covered in GS format for 2020. My proposaI is to aim for hoIding a Grass major sometime after FO between Oct.-Dec. in Aus. & after its compIetion, most of the participants couId choose to remain there & train/prepare for AO21.
Grass major? Its called Wimbledon, and they took the insurance instead of playing it.

·
|
15,009 Posts
Nope. I prefer the current schedule that is totally unfavourable to the older players especially Djoke and Nadal.
IF Rafa skips the US Open, the schedule is perfect, because he'll play Madrid, and then go to Paris and train for a week and play Roland Garros.
He'd never played a tournament in the week before a slam, so Rome is out of the question, but he won that last year anyway and keeps the ranking points.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Novak's schedule is the best since he'll play Cincy, USO and RG. He can win two slams and gain lots of points. He will also get to keep his 1600 points he earned last year at Madrid and Rome.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Grass major? Its called Wimbledon, and they took the insurance instead of playing it.
Thanx for reminding us again about the WB ins. which we’ve known about for at least 4 months now. Meanwhile, either you’re not desperate enough to hold a Grass major to compensate for WB since Claybot’s last title came in 2010 vs Birdshit or you’re desperately trying to deny the world no.1 from defending the title for a third consecutive & become only the third player in modern era history to exceed 5 WB titles or both 😉

·
Registered
822 Posts
defending the title for a third consecutive & become only the third player in history to exceed 5 WB titles.
In Open Era.
William Renshaw: 7
1881 to 1886 (6 in a row) + 1888

It was certainly the time of the challenge round where defending champion played only the final, until 1922, but as during this period the next maximum is
5 1 times (Laurence Doherty)
and 4 2 times (Reginald Doherty, Anthony Wilding), it is useful to specify it.

Just like at US Championships (and US Open in 1968) with the Challenge Round until 1912

-Richard Sears (CR) 7: 1881 to 1887 (7 in a row)
-William Larned (CR) 7: 1901-02 plus 1907 to 1911 (5 in a row)

and especially

- Bill Tilden (complete draw) 7: 1920 to 1925 (6 in a row) plus 1929.

The others are naturally better known.
Connors: 5
Sampras: 5
Federer: 5 in a row

·
Registered
966 Posts
No, I don't agree. As I've said numerous times, I think the players should turn up to the tournaments and get the f*ck on with it, or they should shut the f*ck up, stop moaning, and not play. It's not fair, it's not fair, it's not fair. Life isn't fair. It isn't fair that millions of people have lost their jobs. It isn't fair that hundreds of thousands of people have lost their lives. It isn't fair that billions live in poverty.

Oh no, wait a minute...the greatest injustice is that some multi-millionaire athletes, who hit a ball over a net for a living, are going to get one less week's rest between tennis tournaments than they would ideally like, and they can't manage the transition from standing on concrete to standing on crushed brick. Boo hoo. Get the f*ck on with it, or shut the f*ck up.

·
justice for all
15,238 Posts
Nope. I prefer the current schedule that is totally unfavourable to the older players especially Djoke and Nadal.
It’s a mess which would normally favour younger players and upsets. But these old farts may try to make a secret deal like Nad will only play RG and Djok only USO.

·
Registered
822 Posts
It’s a mess which would normally favour younger players and upsets. But these old farts may try to make a secret deal like Nad will only play RG and Djok only USO.
Hmm, I don't think they even need any secret agreements, the tournaments take care of putting them in the best conditions to keep the record-hunting buzz alive.

After seeing Thiem's schedule last year at RG, I don't worry about them :)

And everything will be done to "absorb" the upheaval caused by the covid

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
First off, Can u read english? I never stated ‘in a row’ was a record, just that exceeding 5 titles puts him in an elite status in the Modern Era, oops.

·
Registered
822 Posts
It seems to me that I can read English.

So in history, there are already 3 players with more than 5 titles at Wimbledon, as specified:
William Renshaw: 7 (6 in a row)
Pete Sampras: 7 (3 in a row and 4 in a row)
Roger Federer: 8 (5 in a row)

As for the in a row, I am the one who specifies this other fact on a complementary basis, so I can also read myself.

·
Registered
822 Posts
the world no.1 from defending the title for a third consecutive & become only the third player in history to exceed 5 WB titles or both 😉
And without trying to prolong this useless controversy, it is you yourself who introduce the notion, so it seems that you are not insensitive :)

If I understand English well and read you correctly

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I’m thrilled for Mr. Renshaw but i’m also realistic enough to separate the amateur era w/ modern open era & that all the people of our era will remember (if & when next title achieved) r those 3 at WB on Grass along w/ ATG Borg & perhaps Connors.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts