Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thy are prone to errors, usually make wrong calls, and ruin games. We have something better than them, "technology".
Next Generation ATP Finals are doing fine without them. Why should we be reluctant to embrace a better one?

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
the fact is...we dont. in the following years tennis should switch to umpire + VAR room similarly to soccer imo

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
With hawkeye, there would also be another option:
Players have to decide themselves whether the ball was in or out. If they disagree, Hawkeye is called. If a player wrongly decides in his own favour several times during a set (number to be decided), he'll get a point penalty.

·
Registered
850 Posts
If the system can make calls instantly and with superior accuracy, no.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I like tennis to stay the same year in year out, call me boring but i do, I just love it as it is

Reactions: WhistleCleaner

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Challenge system is for players to waste time when they are not playing well.

Players like Rafolerer will complain when linesman are taken away.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The research made during Wimbledon 2019 (or 18 I don't remember) showed that the linesmen were wrong with 8.2% calls. That's a bit far from "usually" imo.
That's actually pretty terrible and worse than I thought it would be. Nearly 1 in every 10 calls is wrong. Yikes.
It's not 8.2% of all calls. That indeed would be horrible. It's rather 8.2% of all calls where the ball was within 100mm of a line.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Technology comes with limitations. How many times did we not see a "let" (i.e., serve hits the net, but lands in the serve box correctly) that was not picked up by the sensor?

By the way, at my work, in the restroom, there are three water faucets operated by sensors, of which two sensors (faucets) do not work. We also have two toilet tissue dispensers operated by sensors, of which one sensor (one tissue dispenser) does not work. The faucets and tissue dispensers need to detect human hand in order for them to dispense water and toilet tissue, but 3 out of 5 sensors do not work, as of today. As we speak, everyone who enters and uses the restroom waits for the only faucet whose sensor works. The two other faucets in the restroom, which also costed more money to install, are basically useless, because their technology failed. They would also cost more to maintain now because no one knows how to fix them, except the company that installed those faucets and tissue dispensers. I'd rather replace them with regular faucets and tissue dispensers that are operable by human hand instead of the technology/sensors.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
I'd like to hear the real reason ATP keeps them

1 - 20 of 20 Posts