Mens Tennis Forums banner

Are the latest Masters results a sign of things to come at the US Open?

• Yes - They confirm he is in poor form and will not win the US Open

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • No - It will have no impact on his play in New York

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • No - But I am not as confident as I was in the previous years

Votes: 30 46.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people will say that the correlation between winning Toronto/Cinci and New York is poor, but none the less it's the worst he's done at these two competitions for as long as I can remember. It's as if winning Wimbledon did the exact opposite of what everyone expected, instead of being more confident and inspired it seems to have relieved so much energy and frustration from previous losses that he is struggling to find his motivation again. Therefore I ask you, how much is there to worry about and will his last couple of early round losses have an impact on the US Open.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Zero impact.

The question really is how focused will Nole be for the USO, given his personal life situation.

Having your first child is immensely emotional time for the young couple!

·
6,246 Posts
Not a good thing, and I don't buy all this tanking theories.
Unlike the AO, where there are only minor lead up events, these 2 Masters are a good indicator of where a player is at.
He can still turn it around, but will have to be quick about it.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Not a good thing, and I don't buy all this tanking theories.
Unlike the AO, where there are only minor lead up events, these 2 Masters are a good indicator of where a player is at.
He can still turn it around, but will have to be quick about it.
There's no way he tanked Cincinnati - I'm pretty sure he'd like to be the first man since Lendl to win all 9 Masters.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not at all. Djokovic is a heavy favourite for the USO. He will be back in beast form for that. Plus the earlier rounds will help him play his way into form! With nadal out, who can realistically stop him. Only olderer really and that is not likely over best of 5. Wawrinka playing like crap now and Murray is just not there mentally at all this season. All the young guns, I think can't match djoko really.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
yes, they do. Confidence is everything at this level and from 4th round up it will be a roller coaster for the Serb, no doubt.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
yes, they do. Confidence is everything at this level and from 4th round up it will be a roller coaster for the Serb, no doubt.
No they don't matter.

Murray went from being pumped by Jeremy Chardy to US Open Champion within a month.

Just the smell of New York will have the big guns fired up. Diddy masters events dominated by penisoners are effectively pre-season friendlies in comparison to a major.

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With nadal out, who can realistically stop him
Just by looking at the top 10, I would say:

Federer, Wawrinka, Murray and Tsonga on a good day and a poor one for Djokovic can definitely beat him

On the other hand, I would agree that the likes of Ferrer, Raonic, Berdych and Dimitrov even on a bad day he can probably grind down and beat.

The draw will definitely play a big part as well..

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Just by looking at the top 10, I would say:

Federer, Wawrinka, Murray and Tsonga on a good day and a poor one for Djokovic can definitely beat him

On the other hand, I would agree that the likes of Ferrer, Raonic, Berdych and Dimitrov even on a bad day he can probably grind down and beat.

The draw will definitely play a big part as well..
Murray has already booked his flight home for after the quarter-final.

He ain't doing anything in New York.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
shouldn't matter. in his, by far, the worst pro year 2010. he won against everyone in USO, except nadal. nadal is not here, so ...

he will win USO, no doubt about that. after that, not much this year.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
No they don't matter.

Murray went from being pumped by Jeremy Chardy to US Open Champion within a month.

Just the smell of New York will have the big guns fired up. Diddy masters events dominated by penisoners are effectively pre-season friendlies in comparison to a major.
you're confusing a tank job with a full on motivation loss.

makes a world of difference.

at this very point many players would have a solid shot at him. Just pray he doesn't get in the path of guys like Monfils, Cilic, even Isner, or Simon..

·
Registered
590 Posts
Nole did badly at the two Masters events because he sacrificed some of his usual preparation time for them. That won't be the case for the US Open. He's so experienced and knows exactly where he needs to be at the start of a slam. Novak will be ready and is the favourite.

·
Registered
726 Posts
It's not like last year he was so good in Montreal/Cinci...still reached the final, although he didn't play his best there. I don't think it's an indication of anything, that he lost early at the Masters. The fact he just got married and is expecting a child is a bigger factor. He is just in a different state of mind.

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you're confusing a tank job with a full on motivation loss.

makes a world of difference.

at this very point many players would have a solid shot at him. Just pray he doesn't get in the path of guys like Monfils, Cilic, even Isner, or Simon..
Isner has given him troubles (although the praying part is going too far), as for the others I think by now they are well established usual customers for Nole. Don't get me wrong, I don't take them lightly, but I am sure he would rather play them again than someone unpredictable like a Gulbis or Nishikori (when healthy) or young with nothing to lose like a Pospisil or Kyrgios..

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Nole did badly at the two Masters events because he sacrificed some of his usual preparation time for them. That won't be the case for the US Open. He's so experienced and knows exactly where he needs to be at the start of a slam. Novak will be ready and is the favourite.
yes, he needs to have between 6 and 8 matches of preparation.

He doesn't.

Everything is different for him at the moment and even Trociki isn't available much for saving the day.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
yes, he needs to have between 6 and 8 matches of preparation.

He doesn't.

Everything is different for him at the moment and even Trociki isn't available much for saving the day.
Not true at all. When he won 3 consecutive AO and his 2 Wimbledon he had no preparation.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Isner has given him troubles (although the praying part is going too far), as for the others I think by now they are well established usual customers for Nole. Don't get me wrong, I don't take them lightly, but I am sure he would rather play them again than someone unpredictable like a Gulbis or Nishikori (when healthy) or young with nothing to lose like a Pospisil or Kyrgios..
i would disagree and mainly because he would meet the likes of Kei and Gulbis at such a late stage that he would have worked himself into form already, gained confidence, etc., while a match with Isner or Simon might come too early.

I don't think the likes of Kyrgios or Pospisil stand any kind of chance against him at any stage at a Slam.

It's the "Robredos" that will be dangerous, regardless of H2H and this precisely because of the potential lack of preparation and mainly because of the lack of confidence.

Lack of confidence means (to me) precisely what we saw from him at the two Masters - being too passive, not trying to take control early enough, allowing to get muscled. And it takes that little advantage that he has usually to change the whole direction of a match.

It will be a matter of whether he adjusts his form enough until the dangerous guys.

If he loses some sets and makes some tighter matches in the first 3 rounds i think he'll have serious problems ahead and even if he makes it to the final he wouldn't be a clear fave against an eventual Federer, or even Murray, Tsonga.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Not true at all. When he won 3 consecutive AO and his 2 Wimbledon he had no preparation.
the only 2 Slams where preparation counts a lot are RG and USO.

AO you come after off season and have one tournament, which counts for nothing. Same with Wimby and the one tourney before it.

Players just carry their from from the off season or clay season, while just adapting to the surface and conditions, while for USO they play themselves into form at the two Masters.

These two are very important for the USO. Players have very specific plans for the number of matches and timing for both of these in order to step in NY with the right settings. Otherwise Tsonga would have just kept cruising f.e.

There are numerous exceptions indeed, just as anywhere else, but these are the bases.

Djokovic is still favorite for the USO, yet mostly because of the lack of competition atm.

Had Nadal not injured himself and won one of the preps, together with Nole's consecutive fails (especially the second one, which is the telling one), Rafa would have been 1.80 favorite going in.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts