Votes: 14 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 51.7%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer serving better than ever... Karlobot peaking at 36. Djokovic's serve has also vastly improved.

·
Registered
17,609 Posts
No, no, no, no, NO! Don't you DARE suggest that any part of Federer's game could get any better with age!

·
Registered
27,241 Posts
It's usually the shot that declines at the slowest rate because it's the stroke least dependant on movement. Saying it gets better simply from aging doesn't make much sense though.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
What about Dull's serve :shrug:

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Well I think players become more serve-reliant as they get older, which makes it seem like their serve is stronger.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
It does if you back it up with facts as I did with Nole!
No, sorry. Novak's serve was fine in 2007/08 then Todd Martin happened. 2009/10 was wasted time for Djokovic and we've discussed this so many times. Too many of you guys are too young or simply don't remember.

The older you get things start collapsing.

However, guys like Novak or Fed, champions, also can count on their own respective experiences.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
It's been pointed out by ex *greats* that Nole has adjusted long term body behaviours to improve his serve. Example explained before RG his left elbow used to be out more when he served some years ago........he has retrained himself to keep it closer to maintain better balance.

So yes Nole has improved and will continue to improve!
To be fair, Nole had a hitch in his serve even when he won his first Australian Open title. He had a serve that can be/needed to be improved. I don't know what Fed could change in his serve as it's always been rock solid. I haven't studied Dr. Ivo's serve to know.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
No, no, no, no, NO! Don't you DARE suggest that any part of Federer's game could get any better with age!
Modern rackets and strings could improve a great servers service as they get older. Sports technology seems to improve every year, which makes today's players seem superior to those of 20-40 years ago.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Modern rackets and strings could improve a great servers service as they get older. Sports technology seems to improve every year, which makes today's players seem superior to those of 20-40 years ago.
I see what you're getting at, but we should be comparing today's youngsters to today's veterans in order to contorl for the technology factor. Whilst your serve definitely wouldn't get faster over time as you age, practice could make it more accurate, and most of the time it's accuracy that makes a serve an ace.

·
Registered
17,609 Posts
Just how long do you think Federer has been playing?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Serena's serve has also improved. Her serve from 2012- present has been historic and better than ever before in her career.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
Looking at Ivo Karlovic and Federer it would certainly seem so. Even Nole is serving way better than he's every done before. I guess the serve is more technique than any other aspect of the game. You hope after 10 on the tour one will finally get the technique right.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Everything that involves technique will improve till late 30, some people really benefit from all of it since they never sweat.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts