Mens Tennis Forums banner

How important is RG to Djokovic's chances of a multi slam year?

• Very important. He won't win Wimbledon or USO

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Not important. He is a lock for Wimbledon and/or USO

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Difficult to say.

Votes: 13 35.1%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a little odd when you put it like that seeing as he's never won the French Open; but given that Wimbledon*2 has not been done since peak Federer and that the final slam of the year has seen more Djokovic chokes than any other, is RG his best shot at a multi slam season this year?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'd say the CYGS depends on it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
If he doesn't win it, it will be devastating for him, and will win no other slams this year. But if he wins it, THE Grand Slam is very likely, so Djokovic will win either 1 or 4 slams this year, crazy.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I thought the poll would be worded different. Obviously he can win the remaining Slams but I believe he'll go on a negative spiral if he loses RG, especially if he beats Nadal in 5+ hours then beats Murray in 4+ hours and loses in the Final. He'd be destroyed, mentally and physically.

If he wins RG he'll definitively win another slam can possibly complete the CYGS.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Look, I like Nole but if he loses to Rafa who was getting crushed by a complete newbie today, then he is in trouble. I would say Dimitrov would be in less trouble than Nole if he fails to win this slam. Nobody can touch him ... In 6 months, things can change. But right now, Nole is #1 on clay

·
6,611 Posts
If he doesn't win it, it will be devastating for him, and will win no other slams this year. But if he wins it, THE Grand Slam is very likely, so Djokovic will win either 1 or 4 slams this year, crazy.
This is not 2013, Novak has matured since then and is more focused.
My bet is that he will win RG, but regardless of that he will win at least 1 of the last 2 - he is just too good not to.
The chances of Novak NOT getting a 2nd multi-Slam year are exceedingly low.

·
Registered
645 Posts
i don't think possible RG loss would be devastating to him... technically, physically and mentally he is above others atm, so while possible loss would hit him mentally, his technique and physics alone can get him to another slam.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
It wouldn't be that devastating nor is GS or even triple-slam season likely anyway, because they would again rig the draw for Federer or Fedal at Wimb. and USO, as the last year or as here at RG.

If e.g. instead in no.1's half at the next USO Murray, Wawrinka and Nishikori were in Federer's half then it would be walk in the park for Djokovic, but since they would fix the draw for Olderer again, we might get a new dark horse winner from his half 'cause this year Cilic will be in the other half too.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Your obsession is unreal. Never seen anything like it and there have been so many. Maybe secretly you're a Novak fan only plausible answer.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I'd say the CYGS depends on it.
The RIGHT ANWSER. I can see Djokovic taking Wimbledon maybe even The U.S OPEN even if he doesn't win the French. But IF he wins the French. He will be on for IMMORTALITY. Something no man has ever done not even Laver. And that is win THE MODERN GRANDSLAM. ON ALL THREE SURFACES.

Any man that does that becomes a tennis GOD. in this era...

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Registered
12,267 Posts
Negative.

Next?

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
I think he's least likely to win New York. I think he will have good odds to capture another Wimbledon even if he loses in Paris.

Tbh the only year that Djokovic won the US Open, he did have to battle back from 2 match points down against Fed and just by the skin of his teeth. He's actually quite poor in the "Super Saturday" conditions — tense pressure, heat, humidity, WIND, tough opponent...no secret neither the SF nor F in New York is so kind to him or has always brought out his best form.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
I think he's least likely to win New York. I think he will have good odds to capture another Wimbledon even if he loses in Paris.

Tbh the only year that Djokovic won the US Open, he did have to battle back from 2 match points down against Fed and just by the skin of his teeth. He's actually quite poor in the "Super Saturday" conditions — tense pressure, heat, humidity, WIND, tough opponent...no secret neither the SF nor F in New York is so kind to him or has always brought out his best form.
I agree, he had to fight big time for that USO... I don't see him winning again there. He has lost to different players there since 2011. I don't see him defending Wimbledon. Only grass legends defended Wimbledon and he ain't a grass legend. That leaves RG as the most likely BUT the problem is he seems to have bad luck there. Bad juju as they say. So many weird things since 2011. I see it happening again. Bottom line, he will not win another slam this year. He will have to wait until 2016 to win another slam. He could go down in history as the best BO3 player ever but at slam finals his record is subpar for a reason. 8-7 says a lot about him.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.