Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If we are to say that Nadal is the best ever on clay (which he is), then here is a question for you; Why is there is an increasingly more popular feeling that there is a higher likelihood of someone other than Nadal stopping Djokovic from taking the title? It seems absurd surely, how can anyone other than the guy that's dominated the most ever at FO be the most feared? But for me personally, I feel more confident when he is to face Nadal (on any surface for that matter) than any of Federer, Murray or Wawrinka. Once Federer starts slicing him and keep him guessing, or Murray returns everything inside and outside the stadium (some times it's how it feels) or Wawrinka clips lines from every groundstroke he hits, I genuinely feel Djokovic is more thrown off than anything Nadal does. Thus, at the FO my biggest concern isn't necessarily Djokovic beating Nadal in the finals, but actually getting through the previously mentioned guys to get there in the first place.

What do you people think?

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Tsonga or Stan might give him trouble.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
I think even Murray might trouble Nole on clay. It'd be a tragedy if Nole somehow fails to reach the final... regardless of whether he wins or loses the final

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
If we are to say that Nadal is the best ever on clay (which he is), then here is a question for you; Why is there is an increasingly more popular feeling that there is a higher likelihood of someone other than Nadal stopping Djokovic from taking the title? It seems absurd surely, how can anyone other than the guy that's dominated the most ever at FO be the most feared? But for me personally, I feel more confident when he is to face Nadal (on any surface for that matter) than any of Federer, Murray or Wawrinka. Once Federer starts slicing him and keep him guessing, or Murray returns everything inside and outside the stadium (some times it's how it feels) or Wawrinka clips lines from every groundstroke he hits, I genuinely feel Djokovic is more thrown off than anything Nadal does. Thus, at the FO my biggest concern isn't necessarily Djokovic beating Nadal in the finals, but actually getting through the previously mentioned guys to get there in the first place.

1) matchup issue

2) the most important one imo: rafa serve has been shit so far this year ( compare to pre uso 2013 and specially Uso 2010). So he is playing every poing of his service game, and its against the other guy in the tour who is able to play very long points and win them (djokovic). Rafa needs to up his serve if he wants to beat nole consistently, and even in the RG this year. As I told you before he has been serving pathetically so far this season. Imagine that rafa is able to win nearly all his matches with zero serve, nobody else but him could do that. Thats why I think he has to work heavily on his serve and return, so he could have all the advantage, not only against most of the tour, but against nole too.

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think even Murray might trouble Nole on clay. It'd be a tragedy if Nole somehow fails to reach the final... regardless of whether he wins or loses the final
Hate to be the burden of bad news, but in both 2009 and 2011 Djokovic lost before even getting a chance at Nadal (2009 would have been Fed in the final) even though in both years he showed a lot of good things in the tournaments leading-up..

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
If Nadal makes the final (which is like a 99% chance) it would be a travesty if someone stopped Djokovic on the other side of the draw. Thankfully I wouldn't say this is particularly likely to happen, there is just a greater chance of it happening to Djokovic than there is to Nadal. The last time Djokovic played Fed at RG he won comprehensively, and Fed has declined considerably since then so I don't think we need to worry about him too much. I also don't think Murray poses much of a threat - he probably won't even advance far enough in the tournament to meet Novak. Wawrinka is a slight worry, but it seems unless someone gives him a W/O early in the tournament he just can't be bothered to win this year.

The main danger is if Djokovic goes on a mental walkabout during one of his matches, like he did with Seppi a couple of years ago. Doing this against a dangerous floater like Monfils, Gulbis etc is courting disaster. I will also be hoping he avoids potentially energy sapping opponents - the most obvious one being Ferrer.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
If Nadal makes the final (which is like a 99% chance) it would be a travesty if someone stopped Djokovic on the other side of the draw. Thankfully I wouldn't say this is particularly likely to happen, there is just a greater chance of it happening to Djokovic than there is to Nadal. The last time Djokovic played Fed at RG he won comprehensively, and Fed has declined considerably since then so I don't think we need to worry about him too much. I also don't think Murray poses much of a threat - he probably won't even advance far enough in the tournament to meet Novak. Wawrinka is a slight worry, but it seems unless someone gives him a W/O early in the tournament he just can't be bothered to win this year.

The main danger is if Djokovic goes on a mental walkabout during one of his matches, like he did with Seppi a couple of years ago. Doing this against a dangerous floater like Monfils, Gulbis etc is courting disaster. I will also be hoping he avoids potentially energy sapping opponents - the most obvious one being Ferrer.
But you know it's going to happen. Nole has looked too good today to reach the final of FO. It's one of those years that we will be robbed of an epic final when everyone expects it.

I also think Rafa losing before the final would be bad. If Nole wins without beating Rafa there, there will be question marks

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What are the chances Nadal doesn't make the final? Although nothing is guaranteed in life, if Wawrinka is on the opposite side of the draw, then it's as close as you get to a guarantee that he will..Meanwhile, for Nole regardless of the draw there is the as mentioned the mental lapses and clowning which depending on who he gets may cost him. Heck, he almost got ousted by Raonic in two to prevent today from happening all together.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
What are the chances Nadal doesn't make the final? Although nothing is guaranteed in life, if Wawrinka is on the opposite side of the draw, then it's as close as you get to a guarantee..Meanwhile, for Nole regardless of the draw there is is as mentioned the mental lapses and clowning which depending on who he gets may cost him. Heck, he almost got ousted by Raonic in two to prevent today from happening all together.
Rafa has looked vulnerable at times on clay. Who knows. Maybe a big hitter somehow gets it done. Maybe he gets injured. You never know. I am just saying, that would also be bad if you are a neutral fan.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
What are the chances Nadal doesn't make the final? Although nothing is guaranteed in life, if Wawrinka is on the opposite side of the draw, then it's as close as you get to a guarantee that he will..Meanwhile, for Nole regardless of the draw there is is as mentioned the mental lapses and clowning which depending on who he gets may cost him. Heck, he almost got ousted by Raonic in two to prevent today from happening all together.
The only player apart from Djokovic I see as having a chance to take out healthy-ish Nadal in BO5 clay is Ferrer (and it's a tiny chance).

Btw I almost don't want Novak to win RG by beating anyone other than Nadal in the final.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I agree with a lot of your points. I feel more comfortable watching Djokovic play vs Nadal than Stanimal, Federer or Murray. The thing is those 3 players can make him very uncomfortable.

Against Nadal, the feeling is that the match is ALWAYS on Novak's racket. If he plays well he wins, if he plays poorly, he loses. It's very simple.

Against the other 3, you feel like even if Djokovic plays well, they can take the match away from him, you don't always feel that it's on his racket.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

This. fed just can't hang with nole on slower courts these days especially clay, murray troubling nole on clay is very unlikely. the only player I could see threatening or stopping him is stan.

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
Yes, it is absurd. Djokovic is way more likely to beat Wawrinka on any given match than he is to beat Nadal; if they face at FO, he will be a strong favorite vs Wawrinka and a slight underdog vs Nadal.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
It is still Rafa, he is 0-5, even though I think Novak will win this year. He beat him more impressively in Monaco last year and did not get it. Andy, who the hell knows what he will do. He might go out int 2nd round or go to the sf. If Novak, does not have any issues with his wrist I do not see Wawa beating him again in 5 sets. I definitely do not see the other Swiss troubling a fit Novak in 5 sets on clay.

·
12,691 Posts
Still Nadal but he can lose to some players before the final unlike Nadal. I agree that Nole reaching the final is far from a given.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
It is still Rafa, he is 0-5, even though I think Novak will win this year. He beat him more impressively in Monaco last year and did not get it. Andy, who the hell knows what he will do. He might go out int 2nd round or go to the sf. If Novak, does not have any issues with his wrist I do not see Wawa beating him again in 5 sets. I definitely do not see the other Swiss troubling a fit Novak in 5 sets on clay.
It's not just Nole playing well but Rafa playing way worse this year. Though in the last few matches, he got it together. We will see. Nole needs to play without any mental lapses to win against Rafa at FO.

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, don't see the value in bringing up results from several years ago when Djokovic was just happy to be on the same court as Rafa (i.e. writing Vamos Nole on his shoes to match a guy I think he idolized more than he thought he could beat) by that same logic then Federer of today should instil the same fear as he once did, which he clearly doesn't. In fact, if we were to look at his FO results in the last 3 years it's actually Federer who beat him most convincingly in 2011. Take in to consideration the most recent circumstances for these two and there is a reason why we feel the other mentioned players are more dangerous to him.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts