Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow tennis fans. I have been a long time reader of the forum and have been watching tennis avidly since the mid-70's (Connors-Laver was the first match I can remember watching), but this is my first post. I don't want to make this into another GOAT debate post because overall it is still too close to call. One area that sticks out to me when analyzing the data is top-10 wins. Djokovic wins a few percentage more of these matches, but he plays them at an historically higher rate than anyone else we have ever seen. Can the higher rate of top-10 matches be explained? A perfect example would be last week. Nadal plays in Acapulco and the only other top-10 player in the tournament loses early. Djokovic plays in Dubai and ends up playing both of the other two top-10 players in the field. Nadal and Djokovic play similar schedules so why do the top-10 matches played never even out?

I got these stats from ultimatetennisstatistics.com comparing the big-3 from 2011-2020. They are staggering to me.

Code:
                    Federer         Nadal         Djokovic
All matches           590            614            668
Total wins            493            516            587
Top 10 matches        147            153            219
Top 10 wins            88             99            173
Top 10 matches %     24.9%          24.9%          32.8%

·
Registered
1 Posts
Novak Djokovic has won 92 per cent (46-4) of his matches this season, but when broken down to the simplest level of points won, his winning percentage is just 56 per cent. It’s amazing that someone as dominant as Djokovic is taking a 50-50 battle and shifting it just six percentage points in his favour to create the superiority that we have grown accustomed to.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Very impressive stat, I guess the ATP 500 events he enters have stronger field overall, Tokyo last year was a rarity.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
He is easily the best player from 2011 though, the other two have a lot of wins over top 10 players between 2003 to 2010.
Care to share the stat if we consider 2007-2020?

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
Very impressive stat, I guess the ATP 500 events he enters have stronger field overall, Tokyo last year was a rarity.
It was weak but more importantly would have looked bad on his resume if out of the big 3, he was the only one w/o HC Rakuten.

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
That too but it was missing on his resume, after all he is arguably the most complete player in history holding the only Golden Masters of his era. As u can see, I don’t give much ‘tennis’ credibility to an event held every 4 years playing for medals.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Yes, if i was in Djokovic shoes i would be chasing titles missing on the resume as well, at least for 500 level tournament.

By the way, i have always been surprised why Federer didn't chase Queen's club tennis title (particularly when the field was strong up to ~2010, i guess he couldnt refuse the money that was promised to him at Halle but from a sporting points of view it is odd, particularly when someone has so much money to beging with.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
By the way, i have always been surprised why Federer didn't chase Queen's club tennis title (particularly when the field was strong up to ~2010, i guess he couldnt refuse the money that was promised to him at Halle but from a sporting points of view it is odd, particularly when someone has so much money to beging with.
"In Federer's early days as a pro, when his ranking wasn't very high, he asked Queens for a WC and they declined because they had more interesting players then, to sell the tickets. That's when Halle gave him a WC, so he has remained loyal to them ever since.

After Fed made it, Queens tried to get him to play there but he actually said he would remain loyal to the tournament who gave him a chance before he made it. "

"When Fed was a nobody, he had asked for a wildcard from Queens and they had refused while Halle gave him one. Since then, he has played only Halle. He is just showing his gratitude by sticking with them even after he became the Fed, although Queens is generally considered the more prestigious event. "

And in 2010, lifetime deal with Halle

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
"In Federer's early days as a pro, when his ranking wasn't very high, he asked Queens for a WC and they declined because they had more interesting players then, to sell the tickets. That's when Halle gave him a WC, so he has remained loyal to them ever since.

After Fed made it, Queens tried to get him to play there but he actually said he would remain loyal to the tournament who gave him a chance before he made it. "

"When Fed was a nobody, he had asked for a wildcard from Queens and they had refused while Halle gave him one. Since then, he has played only Halle. He is just showing his gratitude by sticking with them even after he became the Fed, although Queens is generally considered the more prestigious event. "

And in 2010, lifetime deal with Halle
That's good to know. Thank you. I'm still relatively surprised he never played Queens as a top player and it would be a better preparation for Wimbledon than Halle.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
2010 is also the year when Federer advises Hewitt to come and play Halle instead of Queen's .. and Hewitt beats him in the final :)

Which will allow Hewitt to win the grass slam career completes with Newport 2014

Queen's: 2000-01-02-06
's-Hertogenbosch 2001
Wimbledon 2002

Halle 2010
Newport 2014

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
That's good to know. Thank you. I'm still relatively surprised he never played Queens as a top player and it would be a better preparation for Wimbledon than Halle.
At this stage of his career, and with 8 titles at Wimbledon, he is no longer really a question of preparation ... but rather to keep his commitments and gauge his current form.

Borg has never played any preseason match before Wimbledon and elsewhere, Nadal and Djokovic (except when they need points like Nadal 2015 and Djoko 2017-2018) now only play exhibitions at the Boodles or Hurlingham.
Murray is playing Queen's because at home.

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
Yes, if i was in Djokovic shoes i would be chasing titles missing on the resume as well, at least for 500 level tournament.

For me he needs at least one more USO (3/8 in finals) which I believe may b as bad a ratio as at RG but then again there was a reason why some called USO the Blue Clay open. However, this year it’s changed to Laykold surface which is said to resemble courts of Miami & AO & w/ the momentum he had coming into the tourn. ranked no.1, he is or (potentially was) probably the favourite. Two of his USO losses to Fedal could perhaps b attributed to prior to coming into his own maturity around 2011, the other to Murray when he had no break before the final due to weather delayed SF. I’m not even going to get into the draws factor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts