Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Lost to Safin in Round 1 Australia 2005, Safin who went on to win the tournament having beat Djokovic, Federer and Hewitt, 3 world number 1's past, present or future, Djokovic was aged 17 here, 17 slams later at the Australian Open Safin presented him with the trophy, incidentally Novak had beaten 19 year old Wawrinka in qualifiers, little did they all know then.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts

Lost to Safin in Round 1 Australia 2005, Safin who went on to win the tournament having beat Djokovic, Federer and Hewitt, 3 world number 1's past, present or future, Djokovic was aged 17 here, 17 slams later at the Australian Open Safin presented him with the trophy, incidentally Novak had beaten 19 year old Wawrinka in qualifiers, little did they all know then.
15 AO's later, though, Safin presented the trophy to the most successful Open Era player at the age of 32.7-33 i.e. by the 33rd birthday.

Safin's fans were happy that he won in three sets in a long time and rare Djokovic fans expected that it would be a long way before Novak became a good player or top 10 player, but it took him only two years (IW final/Miami'07 title) and two and a half years for no.3 ranking.

To enter the main draw Djokovic beat seeds no.15 W.Moodie (25 y.o. and ATP no.57 later by the end of 2005 after winning Tokyo) 46 63 64; seed no.32 Wawrinka (19 y.o.) 63 61; and 24. y.o. F.Piccari 63 75 in the first round.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Fun to watch, thanks for sharing. And it's funny to think there were probably people at that Djokovic-Wawrinka qualifying match thinking they were watching two randoms, little did they know...

I remember watching a blurry live stream of a Goffin-Dimitrov challenger match, although Grigor was quite hyped from a young age.

Reactions: guitarra

·
6,723 Posts
Wonder how well Safin remembers this match?
Great memories from 2005.
And Safin beating a seemingly unstoppable Federer in the semis was gold.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
In this match Safin gave Djoker by far the biggest beatdown he has ever taken in a grand slam match. A bagel, a breadstick, and 4 games total. He was a kid playing a full grown man and was brushed aside like a gnat. Safin proved in the rest of the tournament how good he was at that time.

I never had seen his win over Federer in the semis until recently. What a brilliant match from both guys. I have more respect for Fed than before I saw it. I think of him as the 40-15 man who has problems sealing the deal. In this match he fought off match point after mp.

·
Registered
20,721 Posts
In this match Safin gave Djoker by far the biggest beatdown he has ever taken in a grand slam match. A bagel, a breadstick, and 4 games total. He was a kid playing a full grown man and was brushed aside like a gnat. Safin proved in the rest of the tournament how good he was at that time.

I never had seen his win over Federer in the semis until recently. What a brilliant match from both guys.
Im curious, why?

·
Registered
22,082 Posts

I never had seen his win over Federer in the semis until recently. What a brilliant match from both guys. I have more respect for Fed than before I saw it. I think of him as the 40-15 man who has problems sealing the deal. In this match he fought off match point after mp.
I remember watching that match live. I had never seen or heard of Novak Djokovic before. I knew he was young and didn't think much of it at the time. What I noticed was that Marat Safin, at times, was hitting the ball so soft compared to normal because he clearly didn't want to embarrass the young player.

That was a great tournament. Both semi-finals were crackers.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I still remember Marat talking about Novak after the 2015 USO when Novak then won his 10th Slam and he was just flabbergasted that Novak could win 10 Slams...wonder if he still thinks so lowly of Novak these days

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
First remember Djokovic when he played Davis Cup v Great Britain later in 2005, think he beat a very young Murray (who debuted at Wimbledon memorably that year. His first ever slam match v George Bastl is up on YT aswell) and Rusedski in that tie.

IIRC there was some wierd talk he was thinking of switch to GB around that time although the British press could've been stretching the truth not for the first time there

·
Registered
185 Posts
He doesn't look 17 at all. He looks much younger with that baby face. Still he shows some brilliance in his play, which indicates he's the future champion. When I was of his age, I woud listen to the radio every night. That was pre much all I was doing every day. Compared to where I was, he was really amazing at such a young age. I feel miseable, though.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I remember Fed bragging that he won so many consecutive matches against chokers and clowns like Roddick. Safin made him choke on 4 match points, then Fed claimed that his leg was in bad shape. He always overrated himself when there was lap dog competition.
3 years after that, Fed fans called him an old, declining, unlucky man.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts