Mens Tennis Forums banner

161 - 180 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
@;

Aggressive and vulgar up against outright stupidity. I would prefer aggressive.
That poster is equally if not more aggressive and vulgar (you can see his meltdowns in the Ruins thread, full mouth hatred speech ) , yet the most sensitive when someone says even word against his OHBH favs. Now is acting victim
Classic MTF hypocritebot, fedfan troll with 0 creativity, forum plaque

·
Registered
401 Posts
The people who can stop him (Krygios, Zverev, etc.) don't even get far enough in slams to reach him. And he already has a hold on the established players (Cilic, Nishikori, Raonic, del Potro, etc.). Can't say for sure how a match with Thiem would play out.
If Novak does anything good it is studding his opponents and learning from loses.
Ask Tsonga (2:5 -> 16:6), Nishikori (1:2 -> 15:2) and if you like Federer (6:13 -> 24:22), Nadal (4:14 -> 27:25)...
All had positive H2H against Novak at some point in time (and not just positive, but all of them had more then two times more wins then loses!), only for H2H to be turned back into Novak's favor.
Even more examples: Wawrinka (1:2 -> 19:5), Ferrer (2:3 -> 16:5), Verdasco (0:2 -> 11:4), Youzhny (1:2 -> 7:3), Trociki (0:1 -> 13:1)... though these ones can be attributed to loses early in the career.

So, you could bet Novak will do better against Kyrgios, Zverev and Tsitsipas the next time he meets them. It more depends on his motivation to win (and thus to study their game in more depth), then on other factors.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
You are very aggressive and vulgar. But you will be silenced when your hero loses, fanboy.
one would expect the more deluded fedtards around here to have had their fair share of humble pie already, but you're probably a special one. stay pressed and in ruins, that's your perfect match around here anyway. :lol:

Reactions: hazzard

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Of course it is possible for him to get 18, but I am not sure he will. I don't think we have seen anything in his latest run to suggest that he is anywhere near his former 2001/15 level. He deserves what he has won, but he has not really impressed me outside of the USO final. I just can't see him improving and sustaining his level for an entire year or more. Another dip in form/ motivation or an injury (even if not major) could totally derail him. Then he may be 33/4 before he recovers and fights his way back to form. All is guess work really, but so far we have Nadal winning 3 slams, and Federer winning 4 slams after 30 and we think that suddenly Novak is going to win 6+?

He is extraordinary, but I think it may be a greater chance that he doesn't.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Yes, exactly, no one in the Open Era has ever won more than 4 grand slams at the age of 30+... For example, Rogie has 4, Rafa has 3, and Djokovic now has 2, therefore do you think Rafa's winning 6 or more past age 30 (20 or more overall) and/or Djokovic's winning 8 or more past age 30 (20 or more overall)?? I just don't forsee it happening!!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Would win or will win?
Should.

Rafa is a major factor at every RG from now until his knees fall apart. He's a decent factor at USO and AUS, depending on court speed. Wimby is out of his reach imo.

Novak is a major factor at every slam except RG, so I guess, chances are solid for both.

·
Registered
9,321 Posts
Slams do not grow on trees, he scored two in a row due to recovering form and the way the field was shaped. Every additional slam is a big if, he is not getting younger. He will have his chance on every slam, but he does not have RG a la Nadal to retreat to if he gets hammered elsewhere.
As long he remains healthy he will have a decent chance in the next couple of years to add to those 14.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Rafa is a major factor at every RG from now until his knees fall apart. He's a decent factor at USO and AUS, depending on court speed. Wimby is out of his reach imo.
And yet he was very close to winning it this year.

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
Slams do not grow on trees, he scored two in a row due to recovering form and the way the field was shaped. Every additional slam is a big if, he is not getting younger. He will have his chance on every slam, but he does not have RG a la Nadal to retreat to if he gets hammered elsewhere.
As long he remains healthy he will have a decent chance in the next couple of years to add to those 14.
You will like what I will say, I think Djokovic if he reaches RG final he will beat Nadal. Nadal was almost done in set 3 vs Thiem. Djokovic is not going to be stupid like Thiem. He will tire him out with his more precise game.

·
Registered
19,670 Posts
That should be still AO for Nole, regardless of court speed. If his elbow will hold up for at least another 5 years, his best and most consistent slam must be still down under. I expext 2+ titles in coming years there.

Reactions: incognito

·
Registered
9,321 Posts
You will like what I will say, I think Djokovic if he reaches RG final he will beat Nadal. Nadal was almost done in set 3 vs Thiem. Djokovic is not going to be stupid like Thiem. He will tire him out with his more precise game.
Well, we'll see. Clay is tricky and physical, a tough draw is a bigger problem than elsewhere. Djokovic is also more vulnerable on clay than elsewhere, I feel.

·
Registered
403 Posts
That should be still AO for Nole, regardless of court speed. If his elbow will hold up for at least another 5 years, his best and most consistent slam must be still down under. I expext 2+ titles in coming years there.
I definitely see him winning at least two more AO, starting with next year's tournament. Between him and Federer, he is the better player there so it would be fitting for him to become the sole record holder at the AO just like Federer is at Wimbledon and Nadal is at RG. Apart from the AO, he should also be the favorite at next year's Wimbledon as well as one of the favorites at the USO.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
It's looking very doable now.
He may even get past Nadal this year.

things change in tennis too quickly. It is tempting to go by who is hot right now but their streaks typically are closer to ending than ongoing. 2015-2016 djoker won 4 in a row then slamless for 2+ years. It does take a toll with all that winning and he is aging while the competition he has been losing to gets better and stronger physically everyday.

I think he will win another slam in 2019 at most and 1-2 slams in 2020

He will be sitting on 18 slams at the end of 2020 if he can maintain a similar level, stay injury free, and be consistent but that would also require the competition to stay EXACTLY at the same level they are right now which is the biggest variable. I also think the french is out of question going to nadal and federer will take wimbledon in 2019/2020 not because he beats djoker but due to djoker losing prior to that.

Djoker will be 32 in a few months. It will be tough regardless. My predication is nadal by end of 2020 is at 19 slams and fed is at 21 with djoker being at 18.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Next 8 slams are most important. Djokovic needs 4-5 of them to have a chance. I think that is realistic.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Next 8 slams are most important. Djokovic needs 4-5 of them to have a chance. I think that is realistic.

End of 2020 i agree he needs to grab what he can. it will be very tough as he is physically declining and those kind of runs require insane levels to maintain it slam after slam.

He can hit 18 by end of 2020 but a lot will have to go right even for that.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
There is no noticable decline in Djokovic. Also, if Federer could win slams at 36, so can Djokovic with much better movement, stamina, mental. All he needs to do is stay hungry

161 - 180 of 209 Posts