Mens Tennis Forums banner

181 - 200 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
There is no noticable decline in Djokovic. Also, if Federer could win slams at 36, so can Djokovic with much better movement, stamina, mental. All he needs to do is stay hungry

ur assuming no one in the next 5 years will become "dominant"... fed caught a break with djokovic the "dominant player" going AWOL for 2 years.

Djokovic is going to have several challengesr and is already struggling in big finals atp 1000, world tour finals against these up and coming players. Happening in slams is just a matter of time.

Its how sport works.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
ur assuming no one in the next 5 years will become "dominant"... fed caught a break with djokovic the "dominant player" going AWOL for 2 years.

Djokovic is going to have several challengesr and is already struggling in big finals atp 1000, world tour finals against these up and coming players. Happening in slams is just a matter of time.

Its how sport works.
In next 3 years. Thats 12 slams. Wining 5-6 is realistic.

Djokovic didnt strugled at masters. He lost to KK in Paris bcs long play vs Federer,he had a cold and half of day rest only. He lost to AZ in the final of WTF fair and square, Az was better player, he served 230km/h with 75% of first serve in.

·
Registered
956 Posts
In next 3 years. Thats 12 slams. Wining 5-6 is realistic.

Djokovic didnt strugled at masters. He lost to KK in Paris bcs long play vs Federer,he had a cold and half of day rest only. He lost to AZ in the final of WTF fair and square, Az was better player, he served 230km/h with 75% of first serve in.
He's going to be 32 and for a guy who's main strengths include movement and groundstroke hitting, I don't know how long he can sustain it for.

He has improved his serve incredibly and might be serving better than ever, but is it enough to compensate for his inevitable slowing down? I don't know yet.

I myself thought 2016 was the end but didn't realise how bad his arm was. I think 1-2 should be very achievable, 3-4 is more realistic and 5-6 is very optimistic at this point.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
things change in tennis too quickly. It is tempting to go by who is hot right now but their streaks typically are closer to ending than ongoing. 2015-2016 djoker won 4 in a row then slamless for 2+ years. It does take a toll with all that winning and he is aging while the competition he has been losing to gets better and stronger physically everyday.

I think he will win another slam in 2019 at most and 1-2 slams in 2020

He will be sitting on 18 slams at the end of 2020 if he can maintain a similar level, stay injury free, and be consistent but that would also require the competition to stay EXACTLY at the same level they are right now which is the biggest variable. I also think the french is out of question going to nadal and federer will take wimbledon in 2019/2020 not because he beats djoker but due to djoker losing prior to that.

Djoker will be 32 in a few months. It will be tough regardless. My predication is nadal by end of 2020 is at 19 slams and fed is at 21 with djoker being at 18.
Not a bad prediction...only one off with each player. RAFA has 20, Federer by the narrowest of margins does not have 21, and Djokovic with that narrow margin has 17. Of course, who knew that COVID would take at least one slam.

Pressure will be on the Serb at the Australian Open where he can definitely achieve project 18.
I worry that his focus on weeks at #1, and entering every tournament that can add points might hurt him in the long run, similar to Sir Andy Murray.

Still it's very difficult to see him not winning at least one more major before he calls it quits.
But I would have said the same thing about Sir Andy after his 2016 run, and we have seen what happened to him.
Tennis is fickle, and a player's fortune can change in an instant.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Reactions: DarkoAqua

·
justice for all
16,898 Posts
Still not there but now it’s „Project 21” and next year may turn into „Project 22”.
Poor Novak, can’t catch a break and always lagging behind.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Projectovic's chances aren't looking good after Rafa reclaimed his confidence.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Congrats to No1e and his fans ... I think he's got a chance for 19 this year if all 3 are held

Reactions: Tennis Passion

·
Registered
19,670 Posts
I think he has a shot :p
GOAT thread bump, sad to see many Novak fans from here not posting on MTF anymore.
Anyway, this thread aged at least very well. We even knew it back then that he had it in him...

Unless Djokovic defies logic by becoming the first man to win more and more slams as he approaches advanced tennis age, it is not possible.
Do you still think that it is not possible? It came down to winning many slams in a row and more multiple slam winning seasons + great longevity.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts

·
The special one
14,780 Posts
GOAT thread bump, sad to see many Novak fans from here not posting on MTF anymore.
Anyway, this thread aged at least very well. We even knew it back then that he had it in him...
I always believed it was possible (see post 84) but most people back then thought it was impossible

·
Registered
2,465 Posts

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
The main thing most of us overlooked back then was the extent to which Djokovic (and Nadal) could still win many slams well into their 30's. This is the truly amazing fact that has made all of this possible. Now we're gonna see how long the ride can last, but Djokovic has definitely shown that he's still got it, and I have to say he looks very good physically aside from some occasional injuries.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
The guy straight up looks like a marathon runner or procyclist, very durable and extremely light on his feet/joints and he stretches a lot every day, eats as healthy as someone can and I sincerly believe he biologically has good genes, for instance he's not balding at all and looks young for his age so I think effectively he's not 6 years younger but more like 9 years younger then 40-15er and not 1 year younger but more like 4 years younger then Dull so he's basically like a 30 year old and that means he will have his chances for sure.

Reactions: incognito
181 - 200 of 209 Posts