Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now don't get me wrong. I still think Djokovic was at his absolute peak on hardcourts in 2011.

However, I just re-watched the US Open 2010 Final highlights to get myself ready for this upcoming US Open and while most people remember that match as Nadal's absolute peak on a hard-court, what struck me also was Djokovic playing at a high level as well in the final. I think Novak doesn't get enough credit from this match for pushing him most of the match (up until the 4th set) and was the only person that took a set off Nadal throughout the whole tournament.

Too many people on MTF confuse the reason on why Djokovic lost the final was combination of his form and serving struggles of 2010 as a whole plus the level that Nadal was playing. The latter is mostly the reason and my premise of this thread only highlights how scary good Nadal was with his "serve" from that tournament.

Let's look at some Djokovic's highlights from the video to illustrate why I believe he played at a very high level:

0:00-0:25 An excellent start of the match where both players are hitting off a good place in neutral rallies until Nadal decided to pull the trigger BH DTL to gain the tempo. Somehow Djokovic wins that point and highlights his athleticism even during 2010 was very good. Shades of 2011 peak form right here.

1:57 Djokovic breaks Nadal here and the commentator mentions this is only the 3rd time in the tournament up until this point that Nadal has been broken. This still showed that Novak had an excellent returning game around this time. Again, glimpses of his 2011 peak form.

4:09-4:18 Now this is the type of point showing how dangerous an aggressive Djokovic can be. Something that the current Djokovic nowadays should take note on to escape his complacent reactive play that seems to get into trouble from time to time against red-hot players.

5:30-6:35 Same reasonings as above. Where do you see this Novak nowadays!? This aggressive shotmaking is straight out of 2011 form. Around this time, Djokovic has won 10 points in a row against a peak HC Nadal!

10:54-11:03 The Djokovic special right here. The full stretch BH DTL on the dead run.

12:04 A Djokovic 2011 return against Nadal; even more impressive since how big Nadal was serving this tournament. People need to realise he didn't just started doing it that year. His return was always this good.

12:20-12:50 2 delicious BH DTL winners in a row after back-to-back exhilarating rallies. This is something I just recently discussed about after the Cincinnati final against Federer, where he is unwilling to go for this shot and I believe this is hurting his attacking game which is sorely missed imo. The lack of BH DTL is one of the factors that contributed to his small decline post 2011 til now.

So after picking out points and moments from this video to analyse illustrates why Djokovic's level in the final was very sound and overlooked upon. He deserves more credit for playing well in the final despite his loss; only losing to Nadal who played the hard-court match and tournament of his life imo. Hopefully, this gives you a different and refreshing perspective of the 2010 US Open final.

Remember, while Djokovic's ascension to greatness in 2011 was in many ways "sudden", it still needed a solid base and foundation to achieve it. And I think the final here was the best example of it; even going back to his epic win in the SF against Federer where he saved 2 MPs was the turning point of Djokovic's career.

It also echoes to Djokovic's past history where he himself could draw some insight from even during his worst years where his game was much more attacking. If he can adopt more of this mindset again, it could just be the attribute he needs to winning the US Open again.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Yes...but Nadal was simply too good.It took a rain delay resumption in the second set + Nole audaciously saving gazzilion break points for him to not get blown out in straight sets (Djokovic saved 19 of 23 bps :eek:)..

·
Registered
10,403 Posts
Too many errors (largely because Nadal's defense was amazing), but yes, he was playing very good tennis in that match. His forehand was great and consistently aggressive.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
I could not agree more, Nadal was at his absolute best on hardcourt and Djokovic played really well in that final, apart from that 4th set I think he knew he would never win from 2 sets to 1 down.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Djokovic played well indeed, even in the 4th set actually. The 1st set was probably his worst one if anything.
I really prefered this version of Djokovic by the way, even if he was less successful, he clearly played like an attacking baseliner. To be fair, he often uses this game plan against Nadal, even nowadays.

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
My favourite myth about this final is how he was "tired" after playing about 3 1/2 hours against Federer and having a full day of rest due to rain. And yes, he was very good in that match and would have won the tournament against anyone else.

·
Registered
27,178 Posts
Video just shows how ridiculous people on here are when they call peak Nadal a defensive moonballer. It's a bit tragic watching this and comparing it to what he's producing this year. Djokovic has produced that brand of attacking tennis for the last 3 years.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Djokovic was good but he wasn't as mentally strong like he was in 2011 , its more like a b starting phase of Djoko era, a good match by Nole but certainly no where near his best levels.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I got you now with this winner, no I didn't :eek: well this one is going to end my misery, wtf :confused: I must run, BHDL if this isn't a winner I don't know what is..... :eek: nooo not high ball...:mad: smash goes into net :sad:

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Video just shows how ridiculous people on here are when they call peak Nadal a defensive moonballer. It's a bit tragic watching this and comparing it to what he's producing this year. Djokovic has produced that brand of attacking tennis for the last 3 years.
Thanks, like we should be taking the word of the dominating "breed" of this site in the first place . But yes, that FH has degraded on a massive scale..When he was confident to open it up, it single-handedly tilted dozen of big matches to his favour..

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
The epic point from 16:35 min mark illustrates what it took for Djokovic to win an extended rally with that Nadal back then: a throw-the-kitchen-sink stuff basically..The role reversed a year later in the 2011 Final..

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
He was awful in that match and he still took it to 4 sets. No wonder Nadal fans are embarrassed and trying to pretend he played well. He didn't.

Nadal was a million times better the next year and got owned. End of. But keep dreaming kids.

Djoker 1.0 owning Nadal on HC is one of my fave stats :)

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
2011 Djokovic was an anomoly though, he hasn't been anywhere near that level before or since.
And yet he has had two all time great years while Nadal has had none. Keep crying about it :wavey: Couldn't even manage it in 2010, the weakest year ever. Only six top ten players beaten on the way to 3 slams and 3 masters titles and all of them were flatlining. Djoker had his worst year ever. He was left to deal with Youzhny and Melzer and his fans dare say Fed had a weak field :D

6-0 :devil:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts