Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nadal got his FH which he can set up incredibly well even with a well fitted so-so serve and Federer got serve-FH-volley combo to atleast hold his serve consistently.

I am speaking of peak NAdal and Federer ofcourse, not the FH-less versions we see today.

Djokovic's FH is really good and his backhand is amazing. Still, neither are no one-two punch shots. His serve is really good, but not amazing. Nowadays even his volley is very good, but not amazing. What is amazing is his defense on both wings, not his offensive qualities.

So, we have this very complete player lacking a GOAT shot to hold his own when he is up against players on incredible form (Nishikori, Wawrinka). OK, Djokovic's BH might even be a GOAT shot but it is primarily for its defensive qualities, it is not a one-two punch shot.

You can float back to Djokovic and if it lands somewhere close to the baseline you have a rally, while against peak Nadal and peak Federer their FH would dominate and most often you would be blasted off the court with a winner.

This weakness is turning appearant everytime he faces truly redhot players in GS finals, he cant just hold his ground and is forced to play endless rallies and trye to push for errors. I think this will be decisive as for the reason he wont reach Nadal's or Federer's GS total.

Reactions: rafa52

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Djokovic hits more winners with his FH and backhand than Nadal does with his so called fearhand so this is a troll thread.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Good thread, Djokovic does nothing with the forehand 6 winners 23 UE from that stroke speak for itself. A lot have been saying Becker improved Djokovic's game but i for one don't think so, the one area that needed improvement (1-2 behind the serve) has stayed the same.

It's funny Djokovic himself says he is a more complete player than in 2011 but this is actually another way of saying his ground game isn't as strong as then.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Djokovic hits more winners with his FH and backhand than Nadal does with his so called fearhand so this is a troll thread.
Did you see their RG meetings 2012-2014, their USopen match 2013, 2010?

I am quite certain Nadal hit more FH winners than Djokovic, and by some margin....

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I think the question is not the quantity but the quality. How many times did Nadal hit an insane FH Winner when he was in trouble?

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Not a big deal in no hitting a lot of winners, Nadal hits the FH with a lot of effect, power and weight. It doesn't need to end with a winner in order to be a clinical shot. This note is about his "average" forehand. Of course Nadal has produced a lot of clean winners during his whole career. In the crucial moments, his forehand down the line is a joy. It is his killing shot.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Look at how Djokovic played back in 2007-2008, he had pace off both wings to match anybody out there, he just decided to transform into a grinder. Which has brought him 7 more majors so it's probably been a good decision.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the question is not the quantity but the quality. How many times did Nadal hit an insane FH Winner when he was in trouble?
Yes, the RG semfinal 2013 5th set it went into mindblowing level.

Nadal hit 61 winners compared to Djokovic's 54, I am quite certain these were not BH winners.....

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
OMG I swear you people don't have the slightest clue about tennis. Was I the only person watching this match today? Stan was killing the ball, literally was hitting everything @ 100 mph how the fuck can you play your game? Only solution to that is also to redline your game.

By the way don't even mention Nadal, he would get hit of the court as well, like soderling did to him in 09.

Reactions: Why So Serious?

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
OMG I swear you people don't have the slightest clue about tennis. Was I the only person watching this match today? Stan was killing the ball, literally was hitting everything @ 100 mph how the fuck can you play your game? Only solution to that is also to redline your game.

By the way don't even mention Nadal, he would get hit of the court as well, like soderling did to him in 09.
This is absolutely not true, Wawrinka was just pushing 1st serve returns back but Djokovic did nothing with it. Djokovic made Wawrinka looks good, a bit like Monfils makes Berdych looks good.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts

Agreed, some people don't have a clue.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
OMG I swear you people don't have the slightest clue about tennis. Was I the only person watching this match today? Stan was killing the ball, literally was hitting everything @ 100 mph how the fuck can you play your game?
But Novak did well to prevent Stan from GOATing in the first set. He excellently varied pace and spins during the rallies and was taking the ball early himself. He stopped doing it in the second set and was punished.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Nadal's forehand is effective less because it allows him so many winners but because it forces so many errors. huge RPM and MPH at players makes for something very awkward to return. again, showing your misunderstanding of the different things that can make a shot great. some of the best shots around don't result in a kajillion winners. regardless, Nadal traditionally doesn't flatten out his forehand THAT much so I don't know why you're even bringing up winner count.

Novak hits his backland like 3000x flatter than Nadal, hence the larger amount of winners. players will get their racket on Nadal's forehand probably more often than Djokovic's backhand, but I gurantee you they get it back into play less (at least when Nadal hits it with good power)

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
But Novak did well to prevent Stan from GOATing in the first set. He excellently varied pace and spins during the rallies and was taking the ball early himself. He stopped doing it in the second set and was punished.
Yes, you are correct. Novak took the ball early in the 1st and hit with more depth, that made it harder for stan to tee of on his shots(which he still did) but also another thing is he served well, high 1st serve % something like 80+ that dropped in 2nd and so did the other things I already mentioned.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Good thread, Djokovic does nothing with the forehand 6 winners 23 UE from that stroke speak for itself. A lot have been saying Becker improved Djokovic's game but i for one don't think so, the one area that needed improvement (1-2 behind the serve) has stayed the same.

It's funny Djokovic himself says he is a more complete player than in 2011 but this is actually another way of saying his ground game isn't as strong as then.
He is being rash on the S&V, serve has improved, ground game declined.

If he stay on the ground like 2011 monster making wawa hit winners instead of donating UFEs and FEs, wawa will tired out on the 4th set today.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts