Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My theory is that Nadal is probably twice as strong as Djokovic (who would you pick in an arm wrestle between the two, lol) - and he has more fast-twitch muscle fibres in his upper (and lower) body to generate more racket head acceleration which translates to more RPM on the ball.

This is despite the fact that he hits an extreme semi-western and Djokovic is full western.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Nole is a fan of the O'Reilly factor. The no-spin zone.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
of course he can!

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Nole is a fan of the O'Reilly factor. The no-spin zone.
haha. that's a good question actually OP but i would imagine it has something to do with strength like another poster mentioned, affecting the acceleration

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Its not just about grip, its about technique and the angle the racket face makes contact with the ball.

·
Registered
23,908 Posts
? Why can't Nadal hit his forehand as hard as Djokovic? He is stronger, right?
he has a firmer grip than nole does, nole is more balanced with his grip while rafa has a very tight extreme grip which means that he depends on the spin more than the pace, he tried pace once but he wasnt hitting it right....nole loves pace so he tries to add spin but with more depth and technique

the more grip you have the less power it has(wozniacki is the prime example of using a firmer extreme grip on the womens side, she thinks that it add more power because she add some weight in her arms but thats not really true)

the lesser grip you have the more power it has(it depends on how natural you are on producing power)

rafa yes is stronger but sometimes he's too strong, people need to know that power does not ALWAYS come from the arms, think of a boxer or a ufc fighter, they dont jus produce power from arms, they also have a stronger core and hip mobility which makes them scary good

·
Registered
29,418 Posts
Mods need to get their act together and ban the baiting OP already. It's obvious he knows exactly why Rafa gets more rpm (their FH motion differs a lot), but still he starts threads like this every day. Has to be counted as forum disruption.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
This topic :stupid:

You don't need to be a tennis expert to see why Nadal gets more rpms on his FH.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
I believe there are some shots where Djokovic can generate spin on par with Nadal's but that's just not the way he plays. Playing a more extreme western grip allows you to play a wide range of shots if used properly.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
My theory is that Nadal is probably twice as strong as Djokovic (who would you pick in an arm wrestle between the two, lol) - and he has more fast-twitch muscle fibres in his upper (and lower) body to generate more racket head acceleration which translates to more RPM on the ball.

This is despite the fact that he hits an extreme semi-western and Djokovic is full western.
Nadal will break puny Djokovic arm right off.

Nadal strongest there is!!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Nadal has big arms! Simple as that! Nadal is like a tennis owger Djokovic is more of tactical player and much more entertaining to watch!

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
The amount of topspin depends on grip AND swing path. Nadal's forehand follow through sometimes ends above his head! I think Nadal invented this follow through but now I see some other players use it from time to time. Another thing adding spin to Nadal forehand is the way he kind of backs off the ball when hitting it.

Alberto Berasategui had the most extreme forehand grip I've ever seen but Nadal still generates more top spin (yes, I know the strings are different but I still think Nadal would hold the edge here using common strings).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nadal plays meathead tennis. That is what makes him so effective.

Same tactic against everyone, if it doesn't work against someone (Djokovic), just go bench press and sprint some more, come back fitter and stronger, and repeat.

Tennis is a simple game - you don't want to cloud your head with tactics. Look where that got Murray. Don't think about it, just do it.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Nadal hits the ball with more topspin and Djokovic hits the ball flat out. Its the intent more than the grip, i think

1 - 20 of 20 Posts