Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only 20 years of age and already taking long breaks between tournaments because of fitness issues?

As much as I remember, players like Federer, Hewitt, or even Nadal played their asses out at 20 years of age, not thinking at all about breaks for recovery...

If one does this when he is just 20, what about "grand-pa" Fed, who will not have more then a week of rest until after USOpen?

What do u think guys, just a mere coincidence, or the Djoker's fitness is a problem ?

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Definitely! THis is my huge hope that Djokovic breaks down mentally and physically. Can't have him winning all the slams.

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
Well not that many players start to win so much so early, the guy's only twenty it's obvious he hasn't reached his peak (physically speaking) yet. He was completely burnt out at the end of last year it woud have been stupid for him to keep the same schedul :shrug:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely! THis is my huge hope that Djokovic breaks down mentally and physically. Can't have him winning all the slams.
so you're "afraid" the Djoker has the game and the skills to do the Grand Slam?
'cause i don't...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well not that many players start to win so much so early, the guy's only twenty it's obvious he hasn't reached his peak (physically speaking) yet. He was completely burnt out at the end of last year it woud have been stupid for him to keep the same schedul :shrug:

that's indeed a good point...the guy is a prodigy...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
He's always been very self-protective, i.e. he doesn't shy from retiring if he feels it's bad for his health/body and thereby his future success. This year, he won AO and IW, and got decently far into Dubai. That's a decent amount of matches already, even considering he crashed out in Miami. He's likely to have a lot of matches week after week as he goes from MC to Rome to Hamburg to RG to Queens to Wimbledon. After that there's also a long stretch of matches in Toronto, Cincinnati, Beijing, and New York. So, I think he's trying to maximize his break periods to recharge mentally.

On the whole, I think it's much more mental than physical issues that are in play at this point. He lost in Miami in the 1R not because he was physically spent but because he was mentally tired and lost focus to a great-serving player.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
IMO Djoko is playing it smart. Tennis players have shorter careers than many other sportsmen because of the hammering their bodies take on the courts. More rest could result in a longer career.

·
Banned
220 Posts
LOL @ this lame topic. Nole's best years are ahead of him.
Federer's best years are in the past. :haha:

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
i guess his mental state, confidence might depend on his fitness, and how did he coped with issues he had earlier (nose djob and else). if hes prepared, and he likely is, he can challenge heavily.

·
Registered
27,928 Posts
Besides resting, I think there's another reason behind those periods.

He has said it before that he doesnt want to make tennis the only reason of his life. I think he is guy who likes to have time to do other things besides playing tennis. A tennis player spends their year going from one place to the other, practising here and practising there. And I belive he also wants and needs to have time to do other things.

So it's not the physical resting (at least not only that). I believe than when he said that he wasnt going to play Estoril because he needed to rest, he meant that he needed time for himseld, time to do nothing. (Ando of course get ready for clay).

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
He needed two weeks to apologize to his girlfriend for being photographed with Shriekarova again.

Seriously, this is called schedule management, something he completely failed to do last year and he burned himself out because of it (playing singles and doubles in lots of tournaments). If he is going to go deep in events, and play the mandatory ones, then he should really only play 22 tournaments per year. He should have a conservative clay schedule because he has the potential to earn serious points from grass season on.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I recall watching the AO final and wondering whether all of Djoko's breathing problems were really resolved. He seemed physically stressed at times during that match.

His fitness is a question, if not an outright issue.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
He needed two weeks to apologize to his girlfriend for being photographed with Shriekarova again.
:lol:
Seriously, this is called schedule management, something he completely failed to do last year and he burned himself out because of it (playing singles and doubles in lots of tournaments). If he is going to go deep in events, and play the mandatory ones, then he should really only play 22 tournaments per year. He should have a conservative clay schedule because he has the potential to earn serious points from grass season on.
I agree with this, he's just chosing a smarter schedule for himself, I don't think there's any real problems with Djokovic's fitness

·
Banned
220 Posts
Nole will win the most titles this year. More titles than Federer and Nadal.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Here is an article discussing his fitness and his form in MC.
Patient Djokovic ready for claycourt season
By Julien Pretot
MONTE CARLO, April 20 (Reuters) - Serb Novak Djokovic said on Sunday he was better prepared than last year going into the claycourt season, which he will start at the Monte Carlo Masters Series.
The world number three, who claimed his maiden grand slam tournament at this year's Australian Open, said he had gained the patience needed for sometimes exhausting matches on the slow surface.
"I think I am stronger than last year because I am more confident. I have won a grand slam, even though it was not on clay," Djokovic told reporters.
"These past months, my form has been going up, except for Miami. I have been playing at a high level."
Djokovic, 20, will face either three-times French Open champion Gustavo Kuerten or Croatia's Ivan Ljubicic in the second round after being awarded a bye for the first round.
He said his second-round exit at the hands of South African Kevin Anderson at the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami last month might have been beneficial.
"I've had more days to recover and work on things I never had time to work on. I've had more time to prepare for the clay season," he said.
"The approach of matches on this surface is ... different. If you change your game too much, it can turn against you."
Djokovic added he was now mentally strong enough to cope with the demands of claycourt tennis.
"You have to be more patient and I am more patient than in the past years," he said.
"You have to be mentally strong, it takes more time to create points and you have to wait for your chances. You also have to be physically very fit to do that.
"It's what I have been working on in the past two weeks."
Djokovic added he would probably be more able to deliver at the French Open next month: "The French Open clay is faster, it suits my game better."
However, he was not too optimistic about his chances of lifting the trophy at Roland Garros.
"I am facing two players (Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal) who are very consistent. And the truth is that Rafa plays his best game on clay," he said. (Editing by Sonia Oxley)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts