Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 220 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
46,698 Posts
Papa Djokovic:

"3 more goblets are waiting for us"
"In October he will pass Roger for weeks at #1, and in meantime will take the Olympics too"

Most of the interview was about not getting love from Western media and talking about Kosovo and 90's wars. Of course he cannot just get over it, he wants Nole to be known as the GOAT, he wants everyone to know that Swiss Roger or Spanish Rafa from rich western countries are not the best. The kid who grew up underneath dropping bombs whose father had to take loans to keep the career going and who gets booed by every crowd in the whole world no matter who he plays, will in the end, be the greatest to ever live

But let's focus on Dubai first

·
justice for all
12,634 Posts
Papa Djokovic:

"3 more goblets are waiting for us"
"In October he will pass Roger for weeks at #1, and in meantime will take the Olympics too"

Most of the interview was about not getting love from Western media and talking about Kosovo and 90's wars. Of course he cannot just get over it, he wants Nole to be known as the GOAT, he wants everyone to know that Swiss Roger or Spanish Rafa from rich western countries are not the best. The kid who grew up underneath dropping bombs whose father had to take loans to keep the career going and who gets booed by every crowd in the whole world no matter who he plays, will in the end, be the greatest to ever live

But let's focus on Dubai first
Even if he does break all the records he'll never be the greatest of all time. He doesn't have anything special in his game, the X-factor that would make him the GOAT. Roger had the grace and the touch, Rafa had the strength and the topspin. What does Novak have? Boring retrieving like there's no tomorrow.

·
Your visions will happen
46,698 Posts
Even if he does break all the records he'll never be the greatest of all time. He doesn't have anything special in his game, the X-factor that would make him the GOAT. Roger had the grace and the touch, Rafa had the strength and the topspin. What does Novak have? Boring retrieving like there's no tomorrow.
He would have the numbers. He would have the results. He's the most flexible, the most elastic player of all time. His extreme gets, sliding on hardcourts and still defending with the backhand, I mean, what can you do against that?

Big 3 all have their symbols and archetypes

The Maestro
The Bull
The Yogi

To say he has no X factor is false. How many FHs has he hit to save MP in slam SF and F vs Federer? And always shots that require serious guts and all or nothing lack of fear

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
well. technically anyone who breaks all the records and lives on to be the record holder is considered the GOAT, regardless of the perception of said player. it's all about the numbers in the end, as it should be. professional sports aint a beauty peagant or popularity poll, no?

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Djoker's father talks too much. He should stay quiet and be humble. Is he right about some things? Sure. Xenophobia plays a part in how Djoker is viewed. That will never change, no matter how many majors Djoker wins.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Love him or hate him, I suppose Djoker is the closest thing you can get to a player without a weakness. That is kind of special.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
'True tea' spilled.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Even by his unique standards Srđan Djokovic' latest interview was complete bonkers. 80% of it was pure nationalistic crap but here's some of his most 'valuable' thoughts:

• Novak will shatter every record in history books and start with winning Golden Slam this year;
  • The public in 'rich countries' hates Serbians and Novak in particular because they can't handle the fact a boy from a poor country has been ruling the tennis world for 10 years now;
  • Respect Novak!!!
  • Novak masterfully deals with hostile crowds everywhere, unlike Nadal who was a sore loser and acted like a crybaby instead of being a man and acknowledging Novak's greatness after ATP Cup;
  • Thiem was a total non-factor in AO final, he "didn't win a set" — it was Novak who "won three sets and lost two"
I don't know how well you are acquainted with the printed and online media scene in Serbia, but I can tell you that you quoted an article from one of the worst nationalistic regime tabloid crap you could find, and I can tell you the competition is really harsh! Whatever Srdjan originally might have said in the interview I can assure you they pumped it up 3fold!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I Knew Fed Fans and Fed himself would end up siding with Nadal . After all the disrespect for years .

Fed himself just aknowledged Rafa as his main RIval & Friend at the exhibition

If you think better is if Rafa the one who reaches Fed in the following years, & (of course) not Djokovic .

That is still a possibility

·
Your visions will happen
46,698 Posts
I Knew Fed Fans and Fed himself would end up siding with Nadal . After all the disrespect for years .

Fed himself just aknowledged Rafa as his main RIval & Friend at the exhibition

If you think better is if Rafa the one who reaches Fed in the following years, & (of course) not Djokovic .

That is still a possibility
Yes Fed fans can accept Rafa passing 20 slams because he beat Fed when Fed was at his best and their rivalry/friendship is much closer than Djokovic with either of them, plus Fed has other records above Nadal that Fed fans can still cling to.

With Djokovic, he is coming to erase the entirety of Fed's legacy and best ALL his records. Rafa will always have his clay records, etc. but Djokovic represents a challenge to the very essence of Fed as GOAT

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
... you quoted an article from one of the worst nationalistic regime tabloid crap you could find, and I can tell you the competition is really harsh! Whatever Srdjan originally might have said in the interview I can assure you they pumped it up 3fold!
So you think Srdjan didn't say what the paper published , right? If that's the case we should expect him publicly crying fool soon, shouldn't we? I expect this interview to globally reverberate so he won't stay silent if he was mistranscripted...

·
Registered
17,297 Posts
40-15

·
Registered
106 Posts
Fed called Nadal a one dimensional player and even laughs at the clay color hardcourt for Nadal this week. Fed doesn’t want anyone else to receive as much respect. Novak isn’t the one with annual fake sportsmanship awards given by greedy, attention-starved sycophants that love boasting about their Fed love. ESPN employees announce that Novak is not well liked. No wonder Novak dad is fired up.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Yes Fed fans can accept Rafa passing 20 slams because he beat Fed when Fed was at his best and their rivalry/friendship is much closer than Djokovic with either of them, plus Fed has other records above Nadal that Fed fans can still cling to.

With Djokovic, he is coming to erase the entirety of Fed's legacy and best ALL his records. Rafa will always have his clay records, etc. but Djokovic represents a challenge to the very essence of Fed as GOAT
It was a nice rivalry for Federer in 2005-2007 period, Nadal beating him at RG, Federer then beating him at Wimb immediately thereafter and Federer winning HC slams without Nadal around for an easy y.e. no.1.

2005-2011 Federer and his main rival Nadal have played just one HC slam rubber vs each other AO'09, Federer and young Djokovic played eight HC slam rubbers in the period, 4:4 each.

Federer has lost one Wimb to Nadal whereas three to Djokovic, zero USO rubbers to Nadal, three to Djokovic., three AO rubbers to Nadal, four to Djokovic.

Federer has also lost a lot more WTF finals and HC masters to Djokovic than Nadal.

So, out of clay, Federer has lost a lot more big titles to his another big rival.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts

I have to agree. I warned Federer fans who cheered on Djoker against Nadal. I said Djoker was a bigger threat to Federer's legacy. Djoker has won 5 of the last 7 majors and has a decent chance of going past Federer's record weeks as number 1 soon. 18 more months of Djoker domination will destroy Federer's most valuable records. Federer has always known that Djoker would likely be the biggest threat to his legacy.

21 - 40 of 220 Posts