Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IF: Djokovic wins Shanghai, is he only 215 points behind Rafa for #1 (rankings, not race numbers, but both will equal in late November anyway)? If so, wow he might consider entering Vienna or Basel for sure, plus he'll likely gain a bunch of points in Paris too!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
He won't play Vienna or Basel. If he can't get it between Paris and WTF, two of his best events historically, then he can wait to next season.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Pretty sure he won't enter Vienna or Basel no matter what happens in Shanghai. I expect him to win Shanghai and then he just needs to do better than Nadal for the rest of the season which is not a hard task for him considering that we don't even know when and if Nadal is coming back this year..

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
We don't even know for sure if Rafa will play Paris and/or London. Djokovic doesn't need extra tournaments to get the #1. I also suspect Djoker has a backbone and doesn't revert to vulturing small titles to get the #1, unlike a certian SA.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
We don't even know for sure if Rafa will play Paris and/or London. Djokovic doesn't need extra tournaments to get the #1. I also suspect Djoker has a backbone and doesn't revert to vulturing small titles to get the #1, unlike a certian SA.
A 500 has been a staple for Fed in Feb throughout his career. Even played both Rotterdam and Dubai in some years, e.g. 2012-2013. 2014-15, and last year it was only Dubai. 2016 both were scheduled, but he had arthroscopic surgery on his knee and missed both, as well as the Sunshine Double.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
A 500 has been a staple for Fed in Feb throughout his career. Even played both Rotterdam and Dubai in some years, e.g. 2012-2013. 2014-15, and last year it was only Dubai. 2016 both were scheduled, but he had arthroscopic surgery on his knee and missed both, as well as the Sunshine Double.
It wasn't scheduled in 2018 though. He signed up for it only after Rafa got injured and presented him with the opportunity to get the #1.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
It wasn't scheduled in 2018 though. He signed up for it only after Rafa got injured and presented him with the opportunity to get the #1.
Even still as said a 500 in Feb has been a staple throughout his career, i.e. nothing out of the ordinary. Not a sudden bundle of tournaments, or during a time he has usually, not to mention never ever played one. Further, his 'twilight era' schedule has been less set in stone overall. Confirmations coming as the season progresses based on how he's feeling.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
i heard vienna still trying everything to get nole to play. dunno if it works out tho, appearance fee most likely is borderline astronomical for a venue of their size...

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,913 Posts
Djokovic needs to play a 500 to avoid a zero penalty, doesn't he? Normally, that would be Beijing but he skipped it this year, so I could see him entering Vienna, specially if he fails to make the final in Shanghai

·
The special one
14,030 Posts
Djokovic needs to play a 500 to avoid a zero penalty, doesn't he? Normally, that would be Beijing but he skipped it this year, so I could see him entering Vienna, specially if he fails to make the final in Shanghai
Djokovic played queen's this year which Is a 500.

Novak doesn't need to play one, he should just play shanghai, Paris and WTF. He should do well enough at those 3 events to end the year no, I think he can sweep those 3 anyway.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Yeah the AO and Wimbledon are such small titles. Shameful that he had to resort to vulturung these unimportant tiles to obtain #1

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
Sad that Fed isn't in this as he won a slam and was #1 too and after Rotterdam looked like the strong favourite to end the year as YE#1.

Anyway, dj looks like the favourite to seal YE#1.

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,913 Posts
Djokovic played queen's this year which Is a 500.

Novak doesn't need to play one, he should just play shanghai, Paris and WTF. He should do well enough at those 3 events to end the year no, I think he can sweep those 3 anyway.
The rules say players have to enter a 500 after the US Open

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Why did he tank the USO for?
To keep alive the myth that he maybe legit #1. If Novak had beat him at Arthur Ashe and lifted the USO crown, it would only reaffirm how lucky 2017's USO and YE #1 were.

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
To keep alive the myth that he maybe legit #1. If Novak had beat him at Arthur Ashe and lifted the USO crown, it would only reaffirm how lucky 2017's USO and YE #1 were.
I do wonder sometimes if you actually believe this

1 - 20 of 107 Posts