Mens Tennis Forums banner

Explain this anomaly?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
He has exactly two titles on Grass and both are Wimbledons (2011,2014) in only 3 trips to the Final. He does not play grass warmups, and has only 2 other final appearances on the surface (Lost to Nadal in Queens'08 and Haas in Halle'09)

Is he underrated on grass or simply Nadal is that godly good on the Clay of Philip Chatrier?

Personally, I'm not convinced he's worth 2 Wimbledons and more in the camp of Nadal wiping out a couple of Clay all-time Greats in Federer and Djokovic: 11-0 against these guys in a Single Slam is insane..

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
0RG with Nadal around is understandable, but 2 Wimby and just 1 USO is what is interresting and i hope he will equal it soon and will win this USO 2014

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
actually Wimbledon and the French Open do not play similar at all, it's not strange whatsoever

a number of players have a bunch of wins in London but no Roland Garros

byeeeeee

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
0RG with Nadal around is understandable, but 2 Wimby and just 1 USO is what is interresting and i hope he will equal it soon and will win this USO 2014
Exactly, that's the surprising thing. With 4xAO + 2xWB, he should have at least 3xUSO.

·
Registered
831 Posts
It's largely due to Nadal. But I do think Djokovic is a bit underrated on grass. 2 Wimbledons don't lie, his movement may suffer on grass but his offense to defense transition keeps him up there with the rest of the Big 4 on the surface.

He has no other grass titles because there are barely any grass tournaments anymore and he hasn't been very keen on grass warmups in general.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Lol how is it an anomaly... He has to play against the clay GOAT. The biggest surprise is that he has more Wimby's than USOs.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The clay field is far tougher than the grass field. However I think he might be slightly better on grass than clay. He is underrated on grass, his awesome return of serve, athleticsm, and great timing are all great assets on grass.

·
Registered
158 Posts
actually Wimbledon and the French Open do not play similar at all, it's not strange whatsoever

a number of players have a bunch of wins in London but no Roland Garros

byeeeeee
You must be slow, so perhaps I can help clarify the OP's thread so you can understand.

Yes, lots of players "have a bunch of wins in London but no Roland Garros." That's not the purported anomaly, though. OP is suggesting that OP is a SIGNIFICANTLY more impressive clay-court player than grass-court player. But with Rafa being Rafa on clay, and Roger declining on grass/in general, Novak has been able to win more Wimbys than RGs despite being worse on the grass.

byeeeeee

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
It really is quite bizarre. If he's good enough to win at least two Wimbledons (beating the all-time leader in Wimby titles in the final), he should have at LEAST 1 French Open by now.

At LEAST. IMO, he should have two.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Oh look who's back.

Can't admit someone is great other than Rafa.
Something have to be wrong with Djokovic or Federer.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
It's not an anomaly, he had to contend with Nadal on clay and Fossil has been old and frail since the years he managed to win his two Wimbledons.

·
Registered
57,591 Posts
The issue is just that it's the one he hasn't won. Had he beat Federer in 2011 and won it, I wonder if he wouldn't have the same problem with Wimbledon. It is all mental.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts