Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I honestly think there has never been a player with Novak's ability and possibly there never will be. He's so fit and hungry and you can see just how determined he is to own the sport. He is 31 but it's more like 24 and I can't see a player who can challenge him, not even Nadal on clay. On the other surfaces he is a clear favourite and nothing other than Novak himself can stop him. How many slams will he get? Would you bet against another 10 slams? I wouldn't. There simply is no other player out there who can challenge him. It would not suprise me if he finished his career with 25 slams and more.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
1,2,3 ... breath, inhale, exhale ... relax, feel your body ...

Enough people. It's nice what you think and all that but please enough about goats. I dream of goats instead of sheep.

Enough about the big 3. Enough about Djokovic unless it's something relevant. I'm a Nole fan, supporting him since 2006 when Djokovic was a nobody, but please stop. One thread after another ... It's repetitive and boring.

We don't know what Djokovic will be or not. It's hard to believe but he might not win another major ever. It's not impossible. That would be the worst case scenario.

He's done enough, he is great, it's all good, but stop idolizing and hyping him. It's kinda silly.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
honestly I don't agree with 110% of what you said but I appreciate your enthusiasm , here .. take this like .

·
Registered
371 Posts
I honestly think there has never been a player with Novak's ability and possibly there never will be. He's so fit and hungry and you can see just how determined he is to own the sport. He is 31 but it's more like 24 and I can't see a player who can challenge him, not even Nadal on clay. On the other surfaces he is a clear favourite and nothing other than Novak himself can stop him. How many slams will he get? Would you bet against another 10 slams? I wouldn't. There simply is no other player out there who can challenge him. It would not suprise me if he finished his career with 25 slams and more.
Uhhh I'm willing to bet against 10 slams - are you willing to take up the challenge? I mean TEN more slams? What are you smoking, and can I have some of that please?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It's more likely that he doesn't win any more slams than him winning 5 more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
5 more? He has won 3 of the last 3 slams and is by far the favourite for Wimbledon and the US open and he simply has Nadal's number so he is the favourite for Roland Garros too. Then you'd imagine he will win the Aussi open next year and probably again be favourite for most of the slams in 2020 and the years after that. For me he could win plenty of slams in his 30s as there is no real competition. Fed and Nadal are both a few levels below him and are probably close to retirement too. Who can actually challenge him in a slam?

·
Registered
14,087 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
5 more? He has won 3 of the last 3 slams and is by far the favourite for Wimbledon and the US open and he simply has Nadal's number so he is the favourite for Roland Garros too. Then you'd imagine he will win the Aussi open next year and probably again be favourite for most of the slams in 2020 and the years after that. For me he could win plenty of slams in his 30s as there is no real competition. Fed and Nadal are both a few levels below him and are probably close to retirement too. Who can actually challenge him in a slam?
He was in even better position after RG16 by winning 4 of the last 4 slams and being younger, guess what happened next? He didn't win anything for the next 8 slams.

So I stick with what I said, it's more likely he wins 0 from now on than 5.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Does the OP seriously not recall that the last time Djokovic won four slams in a row he didn't win anything else for two years? I know it's tempting, but it's fraught with danger to count your chickens before they hatch.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
[...] He is 31 but it's more like 24 and I can't see a player who can challenge him, not even Nadal on clay. On the other surfaces he is a clear favourite and nothing other than Novak himself can stop him. How many slams will he get? Would you bet against another 10 slams? I wouldn't. There simply is no other player out there who can challenge him. It would not suprise me if he finished his career with 25 slams and more.
A couple of years ago, Agassi opined that Novak had the body of a 25-year-old, so he seems to be getting younger. How much money would you be prepared to bet on him winning 10 more slams? He turns 32 in May: how many 32-year-olds have ever had no one to challenge them? If that were so, I think he might have won the ATP Finals. It would also make this a very weak and boring era. Djokovic fans would be the only ones left on this forum, which is getting pretty boring as it is.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Since his 32nd birthday Federer entered 10 GS semis, making 6 finals, winning three slams.

I expect both Djokovic and Nadal to surpass Federer's current 30 GS finals resume and expect Federer to make another final or two, but to surpass 20 GS titles ? it will be very hard to do, and even if Nadal or Djokovic eventually reached 20 slams by their 34th or 35th birthday it could be their last slam title e.g. losing another 2-3 finals.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Yes, and before that he won 0 of the previous 8.
Anything can happen.

I wouldn't get too ahead of myself, neither for the good or for the bad.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
The OP is obviously underrating Novak. Advancements in cybernetics mean that he'll probably win 30 more GS titles over the next decade (the remaining 10 RGs will be won by cyber-Rafa with artificial knees).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts