Mens Tennis Forums banner

?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
23,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it stands now, these 3 guys have played at least a 4-Setter on each of their Slams meetings since AO 2013, and the first four were five-setters on HC, on AO and USO. The H2H is now 3-2 in favor of Djokovic, but Stan had beaten him during his Slam runs. With each match seemingly having good quality do you think this certainly is a rivalry now? I was quite unsure to even talk about this if Stan hasn't won with people talking that a 4-1 is not a rivalry but this should be interesting.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
Novak is a bad matchup for Stan but Stan really peaks at the right time and their big matches are really beautiful. Actually, when they're both playing well, it's the best match up in tennis today.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
No.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Excellent analysis from the previous two posters. Truly informative.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Absolutely it is a true rivalry*. Hopefully they get to play a match at Wimbledon so that they have played at all four Slams.

*It always was to some extent, although Djokovic matured much more rapidly than Wawrinka, so he was winning the vast majority of their matches post-2006. Still they had some epic matches in this period: Davis Cup World Group PO 2006 (Novak 6-4 3-6 2-6 7-6(3) 6-4), Rome final 2008 (Novak 4-6 6-3 6-3), Monte Carlo SF 2009 (Novak 4-6 6-1 6-3), Basel QF 2009 (Novak 3-6 7-6(5) 6-2).

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Since I will be pissing my pants if Nole has to face him in another final, yeah, I would call it a rivalry.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
It is and stan will win At least 4 more slams giving him a total of at least 6 in the next 3 years.

He may even finnish in that famous club of 8. In good conpany with PERRY, CONNORS, LENDL AND DJOKOVIC.

But I would expect Djomovic to have about 11 slams by then and have moved up to the premier league..

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Not really, it looks right now that Stan is able to defeat Djokovic in only four sets, no need for five :D :p :bolt:

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I am so sad that Stan peaked this late... he just laid his talent waste if I am honest.

And I suspect, closeness to Federer and esp Mirka is probably the reason !

·
Registered
350 Posts
Stan is that good because he peaked so late. The big 4 has been busy playing with more intensity against each other and their skill tennis wise have been decreasing. If Stan peaked earlier, he would be more risk averse and more calculating right now. Just like the others.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I am so sad that Stan peaked this late... he just laid his talent waste if I am honest.

And I suspect, closeness to Federer and esp Mirka is probably the reason !
It's a trap! (or was) :D But seriously. Biggest reason for Stan not to win anything was his head :crazy: and now with Magnus (the Magneto) Norman, his head is fine and it shows :)

·
23,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stan is that good because he peaked so late. The big 4 has been busy playing with more intensity against each other and their skill tennis wise have been decreasing. If Stan peaked earlier, he would be more risk averse and more calculating right now. Just like the others.
Even then it is not like Stan just started their career in tennis later just like Estrella-Burgos was so there is still a bit of wear and tear there and also there is a bit of emotional and psychological baggage of not being able to push to the next level even though you feel you could.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts