Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let that sink in. Neither have managed to take Nadal to 5 Sets in RG finals. Both have similar 4 set matches in finals and both have the one match beatdown(Roger 08 FO and Nole 20 FO.)

Nole was never gonna be the rival to dethrone Nadal on clay. Yes he beat him in 2015, but that was the worst version of Nadal ever, it was like Nadal wasn't even playing. Even Wawrinka, Federer and Murray could've beaten that Nadal.

If not for the 13 SF, I would say he was just as bad as Federer was against Nadal at RG, if not worse because unlike Federer he didn't have a matchup issue.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
No he did not.
He played some amazing points but he knew to beat Rafa he will need to raise up his level and play high risk tennis, and its super hard to do against this Nadal.
Nadal looked today faster, much better BH , movement and defense
Its like he saved his energy all the tournament to face Djokovic.

·
Your visions will happen
51,351 Posts
Nadal may be the GOAT because at least he is in with a great shot vs Fed or Nole off clay

On clay it is not even a discussion

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Djokovic could have played better, could have made some better decisions/shot selection, but realistically he didn’t play bad at all, Nadal was just insanely strong, gave him absolutely nothing. He barely made any mistakes (not just UE but positioning, shot selection, depth of shots) in the match, particularly first two sets. It was too big of an ask, when his level dropped ever so slightly Djokovic didn’t take full advantage but it’s easier said than done.

The scoreline is a bit harsh, but it just shows how insanely good Nadal was today, and in general how good he is in RG finals, it almost defies belief.
I thought Djokovic had a good chance even though Nadal was the favorite, but nope

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
2011 was his chance,so in a parallel universe where super federer didn't turn up to save nadals ass,he proved he can dispatch nadal in a RG final
but that is a parallel universe
but we all know 2011 Djokovic > 2011 nadal, even on clay

federer on the other hand,was never close

·
Registered
25 Posts
Djokovic played well, Nadal was just more clinical and never let his guard down. That 1st set was the tightest bagel I've seen.

It wasn't Nadal's best tournament but still won without dropping a set.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Crazy how they all happen to play so bad against Nadal in RG Finals

Every. Single. Time.

What a coincedence?!

·
Registered
882 Posts
2011 was his chance,so in a parallel universe where super federer didn't turn up to save nadals ass,he proved he can dispatch nadal in a RG final
but that is a parallel universe
but we all know 2011 Djokovic > 2011 nadal, even on clay

federer on the other hand,was never close
That's what I've been saying for years, had Federer not peaked that day, Djokovic would probably hve beaten Nadal in the final because that year he beat him in every encounter. It would have broken the aura of Nadal on PC and who knows from there? Now it's way too late, once he passed the 10th title in Paris it is just too heavy to do. The SF between Federer and Djokovic may be the most important match in history.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Nonsense.

Djokovic tried a different strategy this time, risking A LOT more on his shots (he actually hit more winners than Nadal, despite the scoreline, but also hit TONS of more unforced errors).

It backfired big time. I'm not saying that Djokovic would have beaten this Nadal had he stuck to his normal game, but it would definitely have been much closer.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Not even going to comment on this, or argue. I just feel too good! Please try to go get it through your head: no one was denying Rafa today. No one. It was God mode, pure joy, pure mastery. Novak tried, but he wasn't allowed to get in full swing.

If someone refuses to go away it's Novak yet it didn't matter today.

·
Registered
713 Posts
No he did not.
He played some amazing points but he knew to beat Rafa he will need to raise up his level and play high risk tennis, and its super hard to do against this Nadal.
Nadal looked today faster, much better BH , movement and defense
Its like he saved his energy all the tournament to face Djokovic.
And how is that different than Federer? Federer is as amazing a player also knows "how" theoretically, but to do it in practice against on Rafa in Clay is another story.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
And how is that different than Federer? Federer is as amazing a player also knows "how" theoretically, but to do it in practice against on Rafa in Clay is another story.
Because Federer cannot raise up his level against Nadal on clay because of his BH, he cannot do anything against the heavy top spins into his BH.

·
Registered
901 Posts
And people here were bashing Domi for losing those finals!!!!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Hahah 😂😂😂🎾🎾🎾💐💐💐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇Rafa made him bad, do you get the difference?

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Nonsense.

Djokovic tried a different strategy this time, risking A LOT more on his shots (he actually hit more winners than Nadal, despite the scoreline, but also hit TONS of more unforced errors).

It backfired big time. I'm not saying that Djokovic would have beaten this Nadal had he stuck to his normal game, but it would definitely have been much closer.
But why Djokovic went for broke as much as he did? Answer that for me please.

I believe he struggled to move from the get go due to the clay, also his stamina not where it should be and possible fatigue from Tsitsipas match but unlikely.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I will argue Federer did better against Rafa in RG finals in terms of shotmaking, just no stamina to play the 4th set.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Nonsense.

He didnt have the 2011 stamina. Furthermore its after 5 sets against Tsitsipas who took his legs out.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I will argue Federer did better against Rafa in RG finals in terms of shotmaking, just no stamina to play the 4th set.
dude, when was the last time fed played a RG final against rafa and why would you mention he lacked stamina? are you dense or something?? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Djokovic could have played better, could have made some better decisions/shot selection, but realistically he didn’t play bad at all, Nadal was just insanely strong, gave him absolutely nothing. He barely made any mistakes (not just UE but positioning, shot selection, depth of shots) in the match, particularly first two sets. It was too big of an ask, when his level dropped ever so slightly Djokovic didn’t take full advantage but it’s easier said than done.

The scoreline is a bit harsh, but it just shows how insanely good Nadal was today, and in general how good he is in RG finals, it almost defies belief.
I thought Djokovic had a good chance even though Nadal was the favorite, but nope
An Objective fair and measured comment on MTF .

1 - 20 of 45 Posts