Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
justice for all
13,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Serbian superstar is used by politicians as a pawn in their dirty games.

But he isn't an innocent boy at all. According to the media he supports Serbia's claims to Kosovo and after ATP Cup was spotted signing the nationalistic song "Vidovdan" which says: "No one can tear Kosovo out of my soul".

Could Djokovic's irresponsible behaviour lead to another conflict in the Balkans?

Discuss.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Most Serbs think the same. I think he has the same right to express his opinion as everyone else. Perhaps his universal peace&love approach could help, who knows...

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Kosovo je srce Srbije. You can hear and read this chant/slogan anywhere in Belgrade. I was astonished, they think the land is theirs genuinely, despite the %90 Albanian majority.

But well, I can't blame them as loads of countries have similar situation. It is an emotional phenomenon. Novak doesn't surprise me in this and we should not really expect any different outcome when asked.

·
Registered
21,441 Posts
He's right, bring back Yugoslavia

·
Registered
21,441 Posts
Yeah, right. You forgot to add "bring the USSR back".

I can't wait until Northern Ireland and Scotland declare their independence from the Brits.
Pretty sure he supports that as well, just like all decent human beings

·
Registered
159 Posts
The Serbian superstar is used by politicians as a pawn in their dirty games.

But he isn't an innocent boy at all. According to the media he supports Serbia's claims to Kosovo and after ATP Cup was spotted signing the nationalistic song "Vidovdan" which says: "No one can tear Kosovo out of my soul".

Could Djokovic's irresponsible behaviour lead to another conflict in the Balkans?

Discuss.

I don't understand "But he isn't an innocent boy at all." in the context of the rest of the paragraph. Kosovo is a partially-recognized state, the Republic of Serbia does not recognize it, and he is a citizen of Serbia.

The translation of the verse is not that great.

·
justice for all
13,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't understand "But he isn't an innocent boy at all." in the context of the rest of the paragraph. Kosovo is a partially-recognized state, the Republic of Serbia does not recognize it, and he is a citizen of Serbia.

The translation of the verse is not that great.
Well, that line about "innocent boy" was rather my comment than a translation. So sorry if I was unclear there. On 2nd thought I agree everyone has the right to express their opinions and this also applies to Djokovic.
I believe he should be careful and aware (maybe he is) that every opinion he makes is of more importance than that of average Joe and could be used by other people (including politicians) for their own purposes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well, that line about "innocent boy" was rather my comment than a translation. So sorry if I was unclear there. On 2nd thought I agree everyone has the right to express their opinions and this also applies to Djokovic.
I believe he should be careful and aware (maybe he is) that every opinion he makes is of more importance than that of average Joe and could be used by other people (including politicians) for their own purposes.
Yes, your comment. The translation of the verse(Vidovdan song) I was referring to is a different thing.

He is not very careful and aware of what he is saying publicly, we have witnessed that many times.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts