Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who would win if both played their best?

• Richard Gasquet

Votes: 55 64.0%
  • Novak Djokovic

Votes: 31 36.0%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If they both play at their highest level, who do you think will win? I think Gasquet would win because I feel he is more talented overall and is a better shotmaker. So if he is on I think that his shotmaking abilities be too much sor Djokovic. I feel that he is a more complete player than Djokovic. What does everyone else think?

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
No one voted for Djoke. :eek:

If I was to be honest, I would say that peak Gasquet>>peak Djokovic. I think overall he is a better player. But Federer at his best is better than everyone. ;)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Gasquet, of course. The issue is that Gasquet is at his peak 1% of the time and Djokovic is at his peak 70% of the time. If you said what would the H2H be if they play 10 matches next year, Djokovic would have the edge.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think Djokovic, and I absolutely despise him. Regardless of that, when he's at his best he's unbreakable. Gasquet at his best is not unbreakable.

I'd imagine a Wimbledon match of theirs would go 67 76 64 67 86 for Djokovic.

All this said I still believe Gasquet will have more longevity and will have a better career than Djokovic anyway.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think Gasquet at his best could beat a lot of players, even those ranked higher than Nole. I don't think we've seen Gasquet at his peak yet. His problem is he's nowhere near his peak most of the time though.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Gasquet, because the only thing lacking in his game is his self-belief which leads to mental lapses at times. Djokovic has the belief (although the TMC is proving otherwise). Gasquet is now coming to realise his potential and is growing in confidence as he takes on the top players.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Djokovic is clearly the better player at the moment.

·
Banned
1,026 Posts
Gasquet is by my standards the one with more talent for the game. The easy shot making and reading of the game makes him one of the top players in the world when really focused .
But Djoko is more consistent player and mentally much stronger than Gasquet. That are the factors that at the moment makes him better tennis player.
He is n.3 in the world, and maintained that position for few months now- and that is not an easy task.

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
Gasquet, of course. The issue is that Gasquet is at his peak 1% of the time and Djokovic is at his peak 70% of the time. If you said what would the H2H be if they play 10 matches next year, Djokovic would have the edge.
I agree with you, Djokovic has been much more consistent. However, it will be interesting to see the developments next year. Djokovic will have to defend a lot, no more the youngster who just storms the rankings, the hunter will be hunted while Gasquet's progress was less spectacular, but hopefully more steady.

As for matches at both players peak, I feel it may different on different surfaces. In my view Djokovic would do better on the hardcourts, while grass and clay (strangely enough) would make Richard prevail.

·
@Ryan's Hat
19,893 Posts
Some objectitvity here?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Monsieur Gasquet; on his day, quite frankly he's unstoppable. If he played the way he did against Roddick at Wimbledon all the time he'd be top 2 without a doubt. IMO he's one of the most talented players on tour; I can't wait to see what happens when he matures some more and becomes more consistent; he'll be a force to be reckoned with!

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Djokovic.....yeh he's sucked BAD for the past 4 or 5 weeks but on top form he's pretty difficult to beat.

Richie is talented but to beat a interested, psyched-up Djokovic is too tough a task for him mentally.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Gasquet.
Just compare how both did beat a similarly good Federer in their only win against him: one(Djokovic) did it by producing almost twice less winners than Federer while the other did it by producing more winners((correct me if i'm wrong) than Federer.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,410 Posts
Gasquet.
Just compare how both did beat a similarly good Federer in their only win against him: one(Djokovic) did it by producing almost twice less winners than Federer while the other did it by producing more winners((correct me if i'm wrong) than Federer.
what's Federer got to do with this matchup? :eek:

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts