COPY
Share this article

Novak Djokovic à Belgrade en 2020

Image credit: Getty Images
ByEurosport
an hour ago | Updated 3 minutes ago

World number one Novak Djokovic has expressed his concerns over the "extreme" conditions that a 2020 US Open would have to be played under.

Sport-On this day: Born June 7, 1981: Anna Kournikova, Russian tennis player
TENNIS
Sport-On this day: Born June 7, 1981: Anna Kournikova, Russian tennis player
5 HOURS AGO

The Grand Slam at Flushing Meadows is scheduled to begin on August 31, but with New York one of the cities hardest hit by coronavirus there are doubts over whether the tournament can take place.
Rafael Nadal, who has 19 Grand Slam titles, told reporters on Thursday he is unsure whether it can go ahead on time - a sentiment Djokovic agrees with.
The three-time US Open champion - in 2011, 2015 and 2018 - has described the tournament's proposed hygiene restrictions as "extreme" and that capping support teams is "impossible".
"I had a telephone conversation with the leaders of world tennis, there were talks about the continuation of the season, mostly about the US Open due in late August, but it is not known whether it will be held," the 33-year-old Serb told Prva TV television.

ADVERTISING

Ads by Teads

"The rules that they told us that we would have to respect to be there, to play at all, they are extreme.
"We would not have access to Manhattan, we would have to sleep in hotels at the airport, to be tested twice or three times per week."
Rafael Nadal: If US Open was today, I wouldn’t travel

WATCH
Rafael Nadal: If US Open was today, I wouldn’t travel
00:02:25
Djokovic added: "Also, we could bring one person to the club which is really impossible.
"I mean, you need your coach, then a fitness trainer, then a physiotherapist.

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
The US Open is dead for this year.

The only hope we have is for USTA to upload some more rare matches in high quality.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
should be interesting. he isnt the only player who's spoken out against these playing conditions the US open has proposed to allow the event to be played. could be quite a battle. we could see a US open be played but boycotted by many of the top players because of their flat out refusal to accept these rules

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I think the prohibitive organisational complexity of holding a slam during the pandemic is beginning to dawn on people.

The USO's conditions are the bare minimum required to keep players safe, and even these modest measures are controversial. So if players are already unhappy, it seems extremely unlikely that all of them will respect the curfew and restrictions when they get to New York. And then there will be a running controversy.

The solution is extremely obvious, but has been made difficult by the FO's irresponsible decision to go ahead no matter what the danger to public health: smaller tournaments should resume first and be used as a testing ground for the bigger tournaments.

But instead of that, we're going to see two shambolic slams held, full of chaos and discord.

·
Registered
68 Posts
But Novak never mentioned that he will not participate. He should play and he will.. and that will be enough to drag Fedal to USO too...

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Sensible statement by Djokovic.

We should not forget the players want to enjoy the tournament as well and when there are no fans at all I can imagine mister Novak not being happy about all the other necessary restrictions.

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,413 Posts
Tennis players need to stop acting like primadonnas. Take the NBA for example, all teams are also being isolated with a curfew in restricted hotels, players are to be tested every day, matches will take place with no fans, and guess what? Everyone is happy that they will have a chance to compete again.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Tennis players need to stop acting like premadonnas. Take the NBA for example, all teams are also being isolated with a curfew in restricted hotels, players are to be tested every day, matches will take place with no fans, and guess what? Everyone is happy that they will have a chance to compete again.
100% money driven decision, just like the resumption of some European football leagues. Besides, NBA is not an international sporting event, it's a national league which makes it a little bit easier to reorganise.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Im saying this in so many topics. Tennis needs to come back when all countries are safe to receive players.
Slams requires a lot of people. Camp, ballkids, umpires, organizers, players (atp, wta, boys singles, girls singles, boys doubles, girls doubles, wheelchair men, wheelchair women, mixed, atp doubles, wta doubles, Qualifiers)
Tennis needs to come back with Challengers and futures, too, otherwise rankings will not make sense.
If any slam or masters happen without such conditions, it will be asterisked for sure.

Players are not acting primadonna. Players dont want to get corona, bring corona back to their families...
Even the families will worry ever second the travels, like sending a soldier to war.
This is just a sport.

I think tennis should be resumed in indian Wells 2021 (possibly with limited crowd). The rankings will be perfect fair.
Until there, Adria tour and that kind of tournaments

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
In his recent interview Novak said that there was a very good chance for RG and clay master(s) to be held in September, whereas USO and American swing was questionable.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Tennis should restart from the bottom with futures and challengers. Not just slams and forget everything else.
Make a proper schedule where everyone will have a chance to play tournaments, not just the top 100.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Tennis should restart from the bottom with futures and challengers. Not just slams and forget everything else.
Make a proper schedule where everyone will have a chance to play tournaments, not just the top 100.
They are talking about slams and masters because it would probably take up to three months to fix everything under these circumstances, whereas for smaller tournaments it would probably take about one month or even less for the futures.

·
Registered
408 Posts
They are talking about slams and masters because it would probably take up to three months to fix everything under these circumstances, whereas for smaller tournaments it would probably take about one month or even less for the futures.
Im not so sure about that. They will have tough time retaining the sponsors and the ITF will come up with all sorts of requirements and additional costs.

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,413 Posts
Meanwhile UFC has also been on for over a month, featuring fighters from abroad in the US, and that’s also alright, but not tennis. Golf is back next week, also featuring players from all parts of the world, but again somehow for posters here tennis is just “different”. I’m not buying it anymore and it’s good to see neither are the organizers.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
What Nole describes almost sounds like an Olympic village, doesn't seem extreme to me...

And he could very well travel with physio, the only person that requires physical contact, and have video calls with coach to discuss tactics and with fitness trainer for specific routines.

I think USO and RG will take place. Not sure about Cincy.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Yeah, not the tennis records themselves, was asking MTF, like as if I didn't already know what the answer would be... I think Rogie and Djokovic are more likely to show up than Rafa for the 2020 USO!!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts