Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone think Nadal and Thiem looking in unstoppable form will cause Djokovic to start to fray mentally. Looks like one will await in the final.

He wants this so bad that you just sense him throwing in a frustrated angry performance and getting knocked out early through an implosian.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Djokovic is undercooked. I think the winner is from the other side of draw. Thiem and Zverev could upset everyone.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
DFaultovic eats pressure for breakfast, dinner and supper to save tennis.

Project 18: book it; it's going to happen. :cool:

Just don't get in his way...

Expectantly,
masterclass

·
King Of Tennis
3,722 Posts
King is the mentally toughest player ever. He's proven that countless times with all the times he's saved match points against 40-15erer in big slam matches.

·
|
15,746 Posts
Its very easy to rattle Djokovic in French Open Finals.
He's a stone-cold idiot, and Nadal will lead their slam h2h 10-6 if Djokovic dares make the final.
Sadly I think Tsitispas will probably spoil the party.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Djokovic is not stupid. He knows how complete a player Thiem is becoming. He knows what that means for him. He has a short window of opportunity remaining. Every slam counts, and he's feeling the pressure.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
well, they all feel the pressure, regardless of their pedigree. how to deal with that separates the champs from the pretenders, tho.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Lol, after all these years OP claiming that Djokovic is mentally weak 😅
If nothing else he is now even more HUNGRY to win after the DQ at USO
Exactly. This is how I see it. Nadal should win this. But I do not think its a certainty. Thiem cannot afford to lose to Nadal for a third time in a row. I think Thiem is the man to beat here. But I wont be counting Djokovic or Nadal out. This is HUGE for Djokovic. And it may make the difference between him ending his career as alltime grandslam leader OR NOT.

If we accept that Federer will probably not win a 21st slam. This would leave Djokovic with 18 slams. Only one behind Nadal. And two behind Federer. He is nearly 6 years younger than Federer..and over a year younger than Nadal.

But if he doesnt win this and Nadal gets an incredible 13th title here. That leaves him 3 behind Federer and Nadal. And it will be very hard for him to catch them. Even if he has 3 or 4 good years left. So its a huge deal for Djokovic here.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Exactly. This is how I see it. Nadal should win this. But I do not think its a certainty. Thiem cannot afford to lose to Nadal for a third time in a row. I think Thiem is the man to beat here. But I wont be counting Djokovic or Nadal out. This is HUGE for Djokovic. And it may make the difference between him ending his career as alltime grandslam leader OR NOT.

If we accept that Federer will probably not win a 21st slam. This would leave Djokovic with 18 slams. Only one behind Nadal. And two behind Federer. He is nearly 6 years younger than Federer..and over a year younger than Nadal.

But if he doesnt win this and Nadal gets an incredible 13th title here. That leaves him 3 behind Federer and Nadal. And it will be very hard for him to catch them. Even if he has 3 or 4 good years left. So its a huge deal for Djokovic here.
Agreed.
I think this RG is equally important for Djokovic and Nadal, probably a bit less for Thiem. The biggest pressure will be on two of them, but they're used to it.
Real matches start from tomorrow, so it will be very interesting to see who will come up with the best strategy in this kind of weird weather conditions

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
Anyone think Nadal and Thiem looking in unstoppable form will cause Djokovic to start to fray mentally. Looks like one will await in the final.

He wants this so bad that you just sense him throwing in a frustrated angry performance and getting knocked out early through an implosian.
Djok won't make that mistake again, he has even said he "learned a lesson."

A Djok Nadal final would be loaded with the biggest stakes ever: Double career slam for Djok (rarest acheivment of all) tieing the slam record for Rafa (all anyone really cares about--though once it's not Fed with that distinction, they will start redefining GOAT criteria).

Who would crack under that pressure is a tantalizing quesiton.
Djok is very very tough, but he has DF'd championship point here, twice.
Nadal can be prey to his own nerves.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts