Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Djokovic responded to a question about air quality in Australia during the ATP Cup and he gave an example of Beijing to describe that it isn't an unfamiliar situation for players to deal with poor air quality. It is not news that China cannot stand criticism of the country so understandably his comment went viral on the mainstream Chinese social media and he was criticised by many patriotic fans who have knee jerk reaction to the slightest crisitism of "the Great China" . His public image there took a hit and I think his fan base would be affected as he has many supporters from China which is one of a few places where he receives support from the crowd.

"Why did he mention China and represent all of the players? How many places has he visited in China?" posted one user that received many likes. Djokovic's official Chinese fan club released an announcement on Tuesday on Sina Weibo, saying that it was inappropriate for a public figure with a global influence to touch on the topic as it might lead to "over-interpretation" by media.

"I believe he did not mean to hurt Chinese supporters. If you make such comments, you have to be prepared to take the consequences," a Beijing-based sports commentator who requested anonymity told the Global Times on Tuesday. "Sometimes a positive public image and friendship bond might collapse due to a very small case," he said.

·
Registered
14,899 Posts
OK, so, that's a fact, eh? Beijing's and other major cities of China's air is poisonous. It's the most obvious example for a Top 10 player to give, that was not a political/environmental commentary from Djokovic. They are so many in that country and yet the collective victimhood is off the charts.

·
Premium Member
29,536 Posts
? They can't handle someone saying that the air quality is bad when it's obviously true? Are they toddlers?

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
? They can't handle someone saying that the air quality is bad when it's obviously true? Are they toddlers?
They are Chinese.

But to be fair, the stadium in Beijing is built differently to prevent some of the pollution so I wouldn't compare the two conditions.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
They overpopulate like rabbits there, it's only logical that someone would call their polluted air for what it is.

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
The snowflakes were out in full force.

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
They are Chinese.

But to be fair, the stadium in Beijing is built differently to prevent some of the pollution so I wouldn't compare the two conditions.
to be fair, this has nothing to do with his comment or the topic

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
to be fair, this has nothing to do with his comment or the topic
Between the lines he is saying Melbourne conditions are not worse than Beijing, but Beijing tournament is almost indoors because of how they built the stadium while Melbourne courts are wide open, unless he was generalizing to the everyday life in Beijing / Melbourne in that case perhaps he has a point.
But Chinese cannot stand criticism this is nothing new.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
nole is not wrong tho.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
The market share of electric cars in China is growing rapidly, so the people living in its big cities will have much cleaner air to breathe in a few years anyway, and will not need to be vexed by international sports stars stating the obvious.

·
justice for all
17,530 Posts
OK, so, that's a fact, eh? Beijing's and other major cities of China's air is poisonous. It's the most obvious example for a Top 10 player to give, that was not a political/environmental commentary from Djokovic. They are so many in that country and yet the collective victimhood is off the charts.
Facts are not what is valued most in China. What the Party says is always true even if it’s in contradiction with obvious facts.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's a joke that someone is criticised for even stating facts that are known to everyone. Are they imagining fresh air when they breathe in the poisonous air in Beijing? It's bad enough that they restrict freedom of speech locally and now they even attack international stars. Fully support Novak here.

·
Registered
20,861 Posts
Communist Chinese in 2020 cannot stand being critisized, what a case in the 21st century. :devilish:

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Why are they responding like Djokovic said China was a shit country? He was simply stating a true fact. Truly pathetic they can’t even handle a statement like that.

·
|
15,608 Posts
“Go in the streets, ask the people if they want it to move from Melbourne or from Australia. No, I don’t worry,” Federer said on Saturday. “From what we were told in the player meeting, the Olympic Games and other competitions have the numbers set at 300. Ours is set at 200. From that standpoint, I think we’re moving in a very safe range. We’re not here for six months straight at over 200, 300, you know. That’s when maybe effects really become bad."

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A well-known chess player from China (who is frequently quoted in the Chinese news regarding this incident) said Novak should never come to China again, and that Novak was fake as he always said he loved China when he played there. I've read some comments on weibo, one of the fans not only echoed the sentiment that Djoko is no longer welcome, but he also said "if Novak came to China, I'd beat him until he could not breathe". It's really scary how people reacted to it.

·
|
15,608 Posts
A well-known chess player from China (who is frequently quoted in the Chinese news regarding this incident) said Novak should never come to China again, and that Novak was fake as he always said he loved China when he played there. I've read some comments on weibo, one of the fans also said he's no longer welcome in China and he literally said "if Novak came to China, I'd beat him until he could not breathe".
Wow, very psychotic reactions.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts