Mens Tennis Forums banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
Fucking finally. His goal should be the slam count not destroy his body in these dumb end of they year tournaments.

·
Premium Member
21,351 Posts
I meant more mental than physical burnout. This year has been a tough one mentally for Djoker:
  • great start winning AO but had a mini meltdown and had to overcome a Dominic fightback in the final
  • COVID-19 hiatus and Wimbledon cancelletion
  • Adria Tour fiasco and its PR consequences
  • USO default
  • RG beatdown
  • effectively a lot of play since August and still no slam won
  • putting a lot of pressure on himself saying openly he targets Fed's record
I don't know, maybe I'm wrong but this year must have been pretty tiring mentally for him. We'll see.
Out of all of those, only USO might bother him, but so far he's shown he's handling it ok - one masters win and one slam F is nearly as good as it gets. Mini meltdowns to overcome has been a staple of his career, so nothing new there. As for Adria tour, luckily nobody got hurt seriously and while he got negative PR, he got a lot of support too, and if I had to guess, I'd say he still doesn't feel he did anything wrong there. :p

Don't think there is much pressure about the record, he's been basically a lock for that since the rankings got unfrozen and Thiem and Nadal only had mathematical chances, like win every remaining tournament and hope Novak loses early every single time, which wasn't very likely anyway. Playing in Vienna is almost no-brainer here, that and London are now the only two places where he can get any new points from now until March, so why not use the chance. Besides, I don't think he's playing just for the record, he's also trying to keep himself at #1 as long possible. If he thinks he can get 350+, he'll go for it.

·
Registered
16,882 Posts
Djokovic should absolutely concentrate on winning the Tour Finals for a 6th time to at least equal Federer at that record; he'd won the Paris Masters a couple of times lately but failed immensely at the YEC, vs Zverev and Thiem + Federer.
Not sure whether it was due to overplaying at the year's end or just burnout, he now has a realistic chance with Medvedev and Zverev in mediocre form and Thiem not at his best (unlike last year's RR) to go for it straight.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Djokovic should absolutely concentrate on winning the Tour Finals for a 6th time to at least equal Federer at that record; he'd won the Paris Masters a couple of times lately but failed immensely at the YEC, vs Zverev and Thiem + Federer.
Not sure whether it was due to overplaying at the year's end or just burnout, he now has a realistic chance with Medvedev and Zverev in mediocre form and Thiem not at his best (unlike last year's RR) to go for it straight.
I think the same. Despite what Nadal fans want to desperately sell everyone else that WTF is a useless exho it is the biggest annual tournament organized by the ATP. Slams are held by the ITF. Winning 6th WTF title would have Nole to tie Federer and it would be another argument taken away from the Maestro in the GOAT debate on hard courts. It is very close now and still it's hard to say that Djokovic passed Federer. Next year the venue will be changed and it's hard to say who would be favored by it. Anyway, Nole still has a few more years to try and tie Fed in WTF titles or even possibly break that record.

·
Registered
16,882 Posts
I think the same. Despite what Nadal fans want to desperately sell everyone else that WTF is a useless exho it is the biggest annual tournament organized by the ATP. Slams are held by the ITF.
And Olympics too, now with the ranking system there and the often missing top players, that is really the useless exho Nadal (and other) fans should refer to.
Not even mentioning that it is only held once in 4 years.

Winning 6th WTF title would have Nole to tie Federer and it would be another argument taken away from the Maestro in the GOAT debate on hard courts. It is very close now and still it's hard to say that Djokovic passed Federer. Next year the venue will be changed and it's hard to say who would be favored by it.
I don't think that the surface in Turin will be that much different, it will be indoors hardcourt as well. Novak has a few more years to win it, though he won't be really younger approaching 36-40.
He should use his chances till reaching 35, esp. in a strange year like this.
I get the feeling that next year everything will get back to normal, even if slowly, but steadily...

·
Registered
259 Posts
And Olympics too, now with the ranking system there and the often missing top players, that is really the useless exho Nadal (and other) fans should refer to.
Not even mentioning that it is only held once in 4 years.
I happen to disagree here. In the pre-Big 4 era it was much less prestigious cause Sampras who was the best player in the 1990s seemed to not give a flying damn about it. But as it is now I am sure Djokovic will target the Olympics and he will intend to be at his best there to win gold. Given his success in the Far East in the past, that has to be his best chance. Anyway, in my view the Olympics currently is at similar level as the WTF.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Djokovic was gonna surpass Federer with or without playing in Vienna, but he's a smart long-term thinker.

He's prob aiming to remain #1 until at least the end of 2022, and every stretch of points he can gain to maintain a large lead will make it even more likely.

P.S. Paris indoors is a joke of masters, should be downgraded and be non-mandatory, but doubt they'll do that.

·
Registered
16,882 Posts
I happen to disagree here. In the pre-Big 4 era it was much less prestigious cause Sampras who was the best player in the 1990s seemed to not give a flying damn about it. But as it is now I am sure Djokovic will target the Olympics and he will intend to be at his best there to win gold.
Though only for patriotic purposes... a tournament that has winners like Mecir, Rosset and Massu (with all due respect, but he wasn't such a good player overall, was extremely lucky that Berdych took out Federer that year) and featured absolute bums like Dent and Di Pasquale at the later stages was really some exhibition value.
Competition got better however from 2008, but still way too many top players skipped it due to being too close to Cincinnati, which is a Masters and has prize money.

For me, the Olympics is somehow better than a Masters, but has less value than a Tour Finals title. In singles at least, I do not care about doubles (and this is not the doubles forum either).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Top 10 players who declined to compete at Olympics (no injury):
2008: Roddick, Gasquet
2012: none
2016: Thiem, Berdych, Raonic

not too many top players

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Lol 😂.
And who is going to stop Nole in Melbourne from a record extending 9th AO title?
Rhetorical question obviously 🙄.
Novak has won 2 of the last 4 Australian Open tournaments. In the last one, he was down 2 sets to 1.

That doesn't sound like someone who is a lock to win it but rather a solid favorite who can certainly lose.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Novak has won 2 of the last 4 Australian Open tournaments. In the last one, he was down 2 sets to 1.

That doesn't sound like someone who is a lock to win it but rather a solid favorite who can certainly lose.
Djokotards like to pretend he hasn't been gifted joke draws since 2018, they act like he is some extraterrestrial existence at AO when in fact got spanked here by the likes of Chung and Istomin. Even an injured Federer showed more grit reaching the semifinals this season but Djokotards favorite excuse is he was injured that's why he lost to Istomin and Chung, hilarious bunch.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
You and Faker seem not to grasp the line between the peer-comparison that comes naturally being the social beings we are and making that comparison the center of your life. When others' achievements are the yardstick by which you asses your own worth you're doomed to a never ending cycle of unhappiness no amount of fake yoga levitation and lung-sharing will ever take you out of.
That is true, to be truly happy, you have to be happy with yourself and not derive it from comparisons with others.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Djokotards like to pretend he hasn't been gifted joke draws since 2018, they act like he is some extraterrestrial existence at AO when in fact got spanked here by the likes of Chung and Istomin. Even an injured Federer showed more grit reaching the semifinals this season but Djokotards favorite excuse is he was injured that's why he lost to Istomin and Chung, hilarious bunch.
Federer at AO 20 would’ve easily straight setted Chung and Istomin lol

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Hopefully this decision won't backfire on him. If he loses early in vienna and will not play paris, he puts the YEN1 and the weeks record(the masters titles record as well) at risk as nadal and thiem can gain points there.
Thiem is out of the race for number 1 and Nole only needs 50 points to secure the number 1, winning 2 matches in Vienna will do that.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
With such approach of „chasing the weeks at no1 record at any cost” - via vulturing extra ATP ranking points - he will burn himself out pretty quickly.
We’ve already seen the signs of it during RG: he fought hard only it the first part of the 3rd set - in the rest of the match he looked resigned and like he didn’t even believe he could pose any threat to Rafa.
How exactly will he burn himself out when he is skipping Paris?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Thiem is out of the race for number 1 and Nole only needs 50 points to secure the number 1, winning 2 matches in Vienna will do that.
Well, the YEN.1 is most probably in the bag but its still not secured and in the beginning of next season novak can't win points until IW while nadal and thiem can, so there will still be some fighting left to do for the record.

Reactions: srk9425
81 - 100 of 111 Posts