Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Montreal with Janko Tipsarevic and Cincinnati with Marin Cilic.

No US Open for Djokovic this year in my opinion. Really unwise move.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Wise decision from Djokovic.
he knows that he doesnt have much to sell in singles anymore so he prepares himself for the doubles career

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
I can understand Montreal, but Cinci??? He should be focusing on winning the singles there; it's one of the few missing trophies from his case.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Nadal also. I would love to see them against each other in doubles.

·
Administrator | Wikidrawbot
9,738 Posts
Montreal with Janko Tipsarevic and Cincinnati with Marin Cilic.

His double partner is one of his few turkeys, wow. With that move, should we really still allow single matches played between both?

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,916 Posts

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
In fact, Nadal and Djokovic teamed up in Rogers Cup back in 2010. They lost to the wildcard pairing Raonic-Pospisil in the first round, who were relative unknowns at the time. Little did we know that Pospisil would go on to become Wimbledon doubles champion and Raonic a solid top 10 player.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Yeah but back then everything was peachy according to "Why can't we be friends evolution of handshake." :)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Cilic-Djokovic in the doubles, opponents must be scared from such a great volley team.
No, better Murray - Kyrgios, opponents would be scared of I give up, and my legs hurt antics.

Reactions: RedHotRafa49

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Well it was a big question /issue/ that top player to change their style of game and to use net game more. So younger players who watched them could learn from them. Image of the game would improve in long term. Djokovic maybe is not going to win any MS' this year because his total price money will get to 1oo million quite faster. BBecker,Edberg ,Ivanisevic are back in the game as coaches to help top players with S&V . But only Federer of top players was to the net more often. A lot of money are invested in the game. Sponsors ,TV Broadcasting companies should be happy.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
They meet few times in doubles against each other.
For example, Rafa beat Djokovic this year in doubles on his way to Doha crown. :p :p

LMAO. :lol: :lol:
With titans of doubles like Tipsy or Chila I will be surprised if he goes deep anywhere.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Well, he most likely wants to work on his net play a little bit more. And i think this season despite lots of titles he didn't really over worked too hard. He can always withdraw from doubles anyways, many players do... Not a fan of playing with Cilic though.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
This is the indication that Novak is focusing on the US Open only and it not taking Montreal and Cincy too seriously.

Probably a good move.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I guess this is just for practice and he has no plan whatsoever of winning these doubles titles. I say play a couple of rounds in each one and then pull out if they don't lose before then. Don't overplay yourself Novak.

·
Premium Member
29,538 Posts
Strange decision.

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
OMG :facepalm:

Unless he plans to voluntarily withdraw from at least 3 of the events (of the 2 singles and 2 doubles), this is a horrible decision.

·
Your visions will happen
51,332 Posts
A bit much, imo but surely he does not plan to play more than 1 or 2 matches in the double, and really only as insurance if he should happen to lose early in the singles

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Have no fear fellow fans, Novak knows what he's doing. I can only take this decision to mean that he is ready to fight hard and hungry to win some trophies. :)

And yes, he will almost certainly withdraw from the doubles if it starts to interfere with singles.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Could be because he wants to brush up his volleying skills as part of his tactics for hopefully winning US Open?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts