Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Djokovic has not lost a match in 2020 and was looking at the calendar slam if it wasn't for the pandemic.

He's won 5 of the last 8 majors and if he didn't get the DQ at the US Open it would have been 6/8.

That is something he only did in 2014-16.

If he wins the FO does it mean he is officially playing the best tennis of his career?

I keep hearing ppl saying Djokovic's time is running out but he is well and truly on top of the sport and completely dominating the competition.

What makes them think Djokovic is to close to the end?

I think he said he wants to play until 40 and if he's healthy why not?

What's stopping him from winning 10 more majors?

Medvedev, Tsitsipas, and Zverev?

I doubt it.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Not even close lol. All the tight matches he's won evidence this strongly, as well as the current mugzeit. Djokovic wouldn't have been getting away with such muggery against great opposition; actual peak Djokovic, the guy who appeared in most of 2011 and 2015, would have comfortably dismissed Oldovic and routed all the mugs with ease.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
If crushing someone's traquea with FH is considered good, then yes.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Not even close lol. All the tight matches he's won evidence this strongly, as well as the current mugzeit. Djokovic wouldn't have been getting away with such muggery against great opposition; actual peak Djokovic, the guy who appeared in most of 2011 and 2015, would have comfortably dismissed Oldovic and routed all the mugs with ease.
Djokovic 2020 level is indeed far from his best form but he is probably mentally tougher than ever, watch how he pretty much gave away the first set tiebreak to Federer at RG 2011 which gave the Swiss a lot of confidence. Would never happen with 2019/2020 Djokovic.

What it demonstrates once more is that tennis is more mental than anything.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
He has improved his serve. And of course, he is still very clutch. Everything else is just a shadow of the past. Go and watch again some matches from 2011, for example, and compare to today. If you don't see the difference, go test your eyes.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Djokovic 2020 level is indeed far from his best form but he is probably mentally tougher than ever, watch how he pretty much gave away the first set tiebreak to Federer at RG 2011 which gave the Swiss a lot of confidence. Would never happen with 2019/2020 Djokovic.

Very good post. Mental is by far the most important aspect of tennis and winning is all that matters.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He has improved his serve. And of course, he is still very clutch. Everything else is just a shadow of the past. Go and watch again some matches from 2011, for example, and compare to today. If you don't see the difference, go test your eyes.
Oh I see a difference all right. I see he is a much more offensive player now with a much-improved serve, fh, and volleys. All to help shorten points and increase his longevity. I also see that he is mentally better than ever as the previous poster stated. Maybe you are the one who needs your eyes tested lol.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Nole's best tennis was happened in AO 16 when he was teaching lessons to the great Fed.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nope. Far from it. But he indeed developed some incredible clutchness like never before, and that segment of his game/performance is possible at it's peak level of his entire career.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
The mental part is complicated. While he usually looks mentally unbeatable, he went missing for 2 sets both in Wimbledon and AO matches. This would've lost him the match in 2015. In 2015/16 he let such dips for R4/QF matches, if any.

Game-wise, he's more aggressive than in 2015/16, but the depth of his shots in 2015/16 was amazing.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Safe to say, at this point, enough talking for OP.

Reactions: Justiciar

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
All the tight matches?

You make no sense.

He had more close matches almost every other year.

·
Banned
21,055 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,066 Posts
The mental part is complicated. While he usually looks mentally unbeatable, he went missing for 2 sets both in Wimbledon and AO matches. This would've lost him the match in 2015. In 2015/16 he let such dips for R4/QF matches, if any.

Game-wise, he's more aggressive than in 2015/16, but the depth of his shots in 2015/16 was amazing.

I know Federer fans like to muse and bemoan about US Open 2015... but Djokovic was just too good on that night every shot of his was touching the back of the line.

Djokovic is pretty good in 2020.
Good serve, forehand and mentally tough, but you'd be a fool to think he is in peak form.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts

Djokovic's apparent mental toughness is also exaggerated by mug opponents. He's basically playing at half power most of the time, so all he needs to do to appear clutch is apply himself fully under pressure and the match is his. Last time he was actually forced to elevate his game above his local average in the clutch would be the ATP cup (vs Medvedev in 3rd set and Nadal in 2nd set). Bringing up 2011 RG is ridiculous, Djokovic hasn't faced a level that high (or higher) since Claydal last year. Not that you'd know.

·
King Of Tennis
3,756 Posts
The thing is that King doesn't even need to play his best to win. He can win slams even if he's slightly off form. He obviously wouldn't be taken to five sets by Thiem if he was at his peak, which he wasn't. But it didn't matter. He's not going to bring his A-game every single day, sure, but he does it when it counts. That's why he has an undefeated 31-0 record for the year.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Oh I see a difference all right. I see he is a much more offensive player now with a much-improved serve, fh, and volleys. All to help shorten points and increase his longevity. I also see that he is mentally better than ever as the previous poster stated. Maybe you are the one who needs your eyes tested lol.
Lol. Djokovic 2020 was partially outrallied by guys like Raonic or Edmund. Rude awakening coming soon (although not very soon given the draw at RG).

·
Banned
21,055 Posts
Lol. Djokovic 2020 was partially outrallied by guys like Raonic or Edmund. Rude awakening coming soon (although not very soon given the draw at RG).
Partially outrallied? Lol

The only one who truly outplayed and outrallied him was Monfils.

Reactions: sav001
1 - 20 of 65 Posts