Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Why would anyone want to miss out on an opportunity to visit Adelaide?
I suppose some people enjoy stepping back 20 years in time. ;)

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
I don't know why on earth he would try to vulture a 250, if it cost him in Melbourne.
Trying to get more weeks at Number 1 should be secondary to the chance of a record extending 8th AO.
This is very un-Djokerlike scheduling.
Not really, for instance he played in Eastbourne and won the title.

You can hear the birds singing:

·
5,953 Posts
Not really, for instance he played in Eastbourne and won the title.

You can hear the birds singing:

Things were a bit more desperate back then, and he was in a slump.
Right now he has the #2 ranking and seed heading into the AO, and is the defending champion.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I don't know why on earth he would try to vulture a 250, if it cost him in Melbourne.
Trying to get more weeks at Number 1 should be secondary to the chance of a record extending 8th AO.
This is very un-Djokerlike scheduling.
This is not the first time he scheduled it this way, as one of the posters has mentioned above that he has played Eastbourne and Wimbledon in 2017 in successive weeks without any gap. He won Eastbourne, but crashed out to Berdych in QF in Wimbledon.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Statistically this is just not true and I already corrected you in a Davis Cup thread but no doubt you'll keep on with your rubbish.
Rafa has been a member of Spanish Davis Cup winning team five times, while Federer and Djokovic have been members of Swiss and Serbian Davis Cup winning teams only once. Spain has won 5 out of its 6 Davis Cup titles after Rafa started his professional tennis career.

You are not really good with statistics, man.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Rafa has been a member of Spanish Davis Cup winning team five times, while Federer and Djokovic have been members of Swiss and Serbian Davis Cup winning teams only once. Spain has won 5 out of its 6 Davis Cup titles after Rafa started his professional tennis career.

You are not really good with statistics, man.
This is just nonsense man. If we count singles and doubles representation, Nadal has participated in 42 matches for Spain, Djokovic 44 for Serbia and Federer 70 for Switzerland.
Of course Nadal has done amazingly well for Spain, but he's also had high calibre teammates; Ferrer, Ferrero, Moya, Lopez, Almagro, RBA etc.
Or are you suggesting that only the eventual winners are patriotic?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Tjis is worse then the move Fed played a couple of years in Rotterham when he where chasing the number 1 spot, atleast Rotterham where a 500 point tourny and he shouldn't risk his chances at the AO on a lowely 250 tourny it isn't worth it.

I think the AO should have atleast one 500 tourny instead of the atp cup and AO is the only GS that only has a 250 pointer as a tune up, and Wimby got atleast a couple of 500 pointers now

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The N.A. swing has the bigger masters but for my money, Aussie swing is the true HC season where most of the courts stiII pIay the way HC's shouId & deserves at Ieast an ATP500 if not a 1000 but that's your ATP windbags for you.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
The N.A. swing has the bigger masters but for my money, Aussie swing is the true HC season where most of the courts stiII pIay the way HC's shouId & deserves at Ieast an ATP500 if not a 1000 but that's your ATP windbags for you.
Canada was the fastest Masters last year, including indoor HC, and Cinci was was the second fastest outdoor Masters. Ashe has been slowed down too much since adding the roof IMO but the USO Series Masters play just fine.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Canada was the fastest Masters last year, including indoor HC, and Cinci was was the second fastest outdoor Masters. Ashe has been slowed down too much since adding the roof IMO but the USO Series Masters play just fine.
Mumbo jumbo. https://www.essentiallysports.com/montreal-open-2019-courts-slowed-down-for-rafael-nadal-suggests-tournament-director/

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Mumbo jumbo. https://www.essentiallysports.com/montreal-open-2019-courts-slowed-down-for-rafael-nadal-suggests-tournament-director/
CPI and a simple eyeball test suggests otherwise regarding Montreal. Tournament officials often speak nonsense about their facilities.

Not sure why you linked to an article about the USO. That’s not a Masters and I already said Ashe has been slowed down too much recently.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
So instead of playing Doha two weeks before AO he's playing Adelaide a week before AO? Not sure what the problem is. Time slot is a con, but other than that it makes more sense actually.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Maybe Djokovic has niggling injury, normally a player not confident defending the slam will try to win a small tournament.

The end result is Djokovic and Nadal will overplay and Federer vulture the AO.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Weird decision indeed. At this stage of his career Djokovic should actually pay attention to a very smart schedule. He is currently 9th in terms of matches played with 1080 matches, soon will surpass 8th Ferrer. He is not young anymore when he might play literally every tournament like Kafelnikov did 20+ years ago and Thiem/Medvedev are doing nowadays. In addition, he was recently bothered by shoulder issues which is very serious issue when it is not handled with care. Who knows about his motivation - I mean, if he wants to return to no.1 position, he just needs to defend AO title and then do well in IW/Miami, which should be enough for him (Nadal is not historically so good during these months). Hence, it does not make any sense - few weeks here or there. Maybe it is about the appearance fee, but that would be surprising because he was not used to do these things in the past. Nevertheless, I consider this decision as rather negative for him....

21 - 40 of 47 Posts