670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Week before AO. Strange.

Also playing ATP cup I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,096 Posts
Knowing how lacktuster his season"s ending was, it's about the right move.
So that's the successor tourney of Brisbane, noted.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
It is hard for me to believe that Rafa will dump ATP Cup and Spain at a short notice, considering he appears to be more patriotic towards and devoted to his country than Djokovic and Federer, and also due to the fact he has not scheduled himself to play at another tournament before Australian Open. ATP Cup will be a good training ground ahead of AO; don't see why Rafa will not play it.

Mubadala exho is not an issue because it happens between Dec.19 to Dec.21, and Rafa (and also Djokovic) will play 2 matches, max. there. It is an exho; so, Rafa and Djokovic will take it lightly, or even dump Mubadala, or maybe, play only a match there.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
It is hard for me to believe that Rafa will dump ATP Cup and Spain at a short notice, considering he appears to be more patriotic towards and devoted to his country than Djokovic and Federer, and also due to the fact he has not scheduled himself to play at another tournament before Australian Open. ATP Cup will be a good training ground ahead of AO; don't see why Rafa will not play it.

Mubadala exho is not an issue because it happens between Dec.19 to Dec.21, and Rafa (and also Djokovic) will play 2 matches, max. there. It is an exho; so, Rafa and Djokovic will take it lightly, or even dump Mubadala, or maybe, play only a match there.
I agree. Nadal normally needs a lot of matches to play into form. I actually think the ATP cup is a good preparation for him, since he gets at least 3 matches to play.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Don't see Djokovic dropping ATP Cup either. It is the inaugural edition of ATP Cup, and ATP would want both Rafa and Djokovic to play it to successfully launch the event. Don't see Rafa and Djokovic disappointing ATP.

This Adelaide announcement from Djokovic comes as a surprise though, since it ends on Jan. 18 and Australian Open starts on Jan. 20.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Don't see Djokovic dropping ATP cup either. It is the inaugural edition of ATP Cup, and ATP would want both Rafa and Djokovic to play it to successfully launch the event. Don't see Rafa and Djokovic disappointing ATP.

This Adelaide announcement from Djokovic comes as a surprise though, since it ends on Dec. 18 and Australian Open starts on Dec.20.
On second thought, 2020 AO is probably the most important event for Djoker next year. There is good reason to play sufficient amount of matches to get into form. Sunshine double are expendables if he is tired afterwards.

·
Your visions will happen
46,461 Posts
Djoker wants to vulture points and weeks at #1. He is so close to Roger he can taste it. He wants it all. But he is 840 shy of Rafa. Even winning ATP Cup undefeated and Adelaide is 1000, can he expect Nadal to only make 160 at ATP Cup? Plus he must defend his AO title for any chance at this

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

Statistically this is just not true and I already corrected you in a Davis Cup thread but no doubt you'll keep on with your rubbish.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Bingo, got it in one.

None of the Big 3 are going to play the ATP Cup. Fed has withdrawn in advance. The other two will find some convenient injury when the time comes.
750 points at stake at the ATP Cup. No way Nadal skips it given his precarious #1 status and how motivated he gets for team events. And it would make no sense for Djokovic to play a 250 the week before his best slam but skip a bigger potential point haul the previous week.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Whether this is a bid to defend points untiI FO in order to ensure best seeding there or keep pace w/ Fed's record, i'm simply relieved that he’s showing signs of hopefuIy being fit to defend AO (big record awaiting there) & if that means tuning up at an ATP 250, so b it. Perhaps the WTF debacIe also awoke the Serbinator.

·
Premium Member
8,334 Posts
What a weird decision.

Playing the week before the AO on top of the Mubadala (Abu Dhabi) & ATP Cup is bit of a risky move at his age, especially for someone who is dealing with nagging shoulder/elbow issues.
I am afraid he realized he has no chance in ATP Cup with Lajovic instead of Krajinovic neither in second single nor in doubles.

Watching your partner loosing or fighting in doubles for nothing is draining a lot of energy and confidence, above all when you are a competitor and a proud Serb.

He hopefully realized he had to be selfish and keep his energy for his own quest instead of fighting windmills a la Quixotte all alone in Serbian team.

Would not be surprised if a late withdrawal or a tank in ATP Cup.

He can not forfeit right now because he is Player Council Chairman and advertised a lot for ATP Cup, but I had that feeling for a long time he can not play both Davis Cup and ATP Cup and he choosed playing with his friends in Madrid.

IMO it is not a weird but a wise decision.
Knowing the guy and his arrogant habit of thinking he can achieve every challenge, this is blatantly an evidence he has grown up.

·
5,951 Posts
Djoker wants to vulture points and weeks at #1. He is so close to Roger he can taste it. He wants it all. But he is 840 shy of Rafa. Even winning ATP Cup undefeated and Adelaide is 1000, can he expect Nadal to only make 160 at ATP Cup? Plus he must defend his AO title for any chance at this
I don't know why on earth he would try to vulture a 250, if it cost him in Melbourne.
Trying to get more weeks at Number 1 should be secondary to the chance of a record extending 8th AO.
This is very un-Djokerlike scheduling.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Surely Djokovic will pull out of the ATP Cup if he genuinely plans on playing Adelaide. If he plays both of them as well as Mubadala, he'd definitely want to avoid any draining 5 setters at the AO.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts