Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) — Top-ranked Novak Djokovic is thinking of skipping the U.S. Open -- if it is played -- and instead returning to competition on clay ahead of the rescheduled French Open.

Speaking to Serbia’s state broadcaster RTS on Tuesday, Djokovic said the restrictions that would be in place for the Grand Slam tournament in New York because of the coronavirus pandemic would be “extreme” and not “sustainable.”

Most of the players I have talked to were quite negative on whether they would go there,” Djokovic said. “For me currently, as things stand, most probably the season will continue on clay at the beginning of September.

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
this cant be a surprise to anyone. the asian events, if they happen will have the same problem. no one will want to go there. on the bright side for americans they might actually get an american winning th US open if european players boycott it

·
9,632 Posts
It a surprise as surely he cares about slam count

Reactions: Budadiii

·
Registered
251 Posts
But, hey, he will be remembered as someone who won a slam despite "impossible" conditions. :D

·
Registered
517 Posts
If they want to skip it that's on them. The show doesn't stop for anyone. Also Novak act like the FO won't have any type of restrictions which is hard to believe considering there is still no vaccine.

·
Banned
5,793 Posts
BS. Theatrics. Just wants everyone to skip it so he could easily vulture it. He is the most obsessed of the Big3 with slam count and records, no way he's missing USO.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I still don't think the US Open will happen, and I don't think the French Open should happen without fans. Why go to all those lengths in order to have a park game without even a ripple of applause?

Kvitova has joined the chorus of players saying that playing in front of an empty arena is "sad".

“It would be very tough for me playing a Grand Slam without the fans,” the two-time Wimbledon champion said. “I do have experience from the tournament we just had here in the Czech Republic and it’s very sad (without fans).”
I don't think there should be any tennis until they can comeback properly and at least have some form of crowd.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I can see 99 % of the tour skipping the Slam because of OTT rules with Bernard Tomic eventually winning the trophy before admitting he went partying every night anyway.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Djokovic making sense again. It was about time! NYC is the corona epicentre of the US. Yeah, let's visit that place to play some tennis! (same goes for Paris in France).

A Belgian biologist spoke on Dutch television about the way Europe underestimates (hello Sweden?) the coronavirus ahead of the summer. Lots of people seem to focus on resuming normal life asap but without a vaccine that's impossible. He added that we should not be blind, just because the numbers are less bad. Corona is still among us and part of our world and he said it's a given new waves of infections will occur in the fall.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I actually think Novak would struggle playing with no fans - he normally thrives as the antagonist or, as was the case at the ATP Cup, the favorite

When the crowd is neutral, or worse yet, not present! he will struggle mightily

Perhaps take the rest of the year off like Fed and come back strong at AO2021?

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
I actually think Novak would struggle playing with no fans - he normally thrives as the antagonist or, as was the case at the ATP Cup, the favorite

When the crowd is neutral, or worse yet, not present! he will struggle mightily

Perhaps take the rest of the year off like Fed and come back strong at AO2021?
Djokovic can play under any condition. He does not need fans to succeed, unlike some. Djokovic is currently looking forward to the clay season, but maybe the US Open will remove some of the asinine restrictions if they want to have an event.

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
It's not just Novak. Given the leaks coming out now it's most of the top 100. Will be really interesting. If the US open really does intend to move forward I envision it will be basically all Americans with some canadians , Australians and south Americans thrown in and maybe a handful of European players.

The question is will the US buckle and ease up or accept the fact that their US open is gonna be severely depleted option 3 is to cancel it all together.

This will be fun to follow

1 - 20 of 292 Posts