101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
5,666 Posts

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Depends whether you consider poor to be net worth or living conditions

Really don't understand Djoko haters in this thread. Trying to "prove" he wasn't as bad off as he was. Get a life. The truth is the truth
Didn't Djoker's parents also borrow money from some dodgy people? I think I read that somewhere. His story is well known. I have no idea why some would question his background. You don't have to like or hate the guy just because he came from a poor background. His story is inspiring, but again, you can still dislike the guy whilst appreciating his rise from nothing.

·
Registered
498 Posts
This is not about anyone not believing in Djokovic's background. They don't care about any of that. It is about Djokovic beating their favourite players on a tennis court and them hating the guy over it.

Was I supposed to hate Djokovic after he beat one of my favourites in Australia? On the contrary. I was happy for Djokovic and knew that he was the better player and deserved to win. I accept Djokovic as a legend of the game, just like I accept Nadal and Federer as legends of the game, and it will be a sad day when they all retire. I hold no resentment over any of them for beating my favourites more often than not. I think that is the way it should be, if one is a true fan of the game.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
This is not about anyone not believing in Djokovic's background. They don't care about any of that. It is about Djokovic beating their favourite players on a tennis court and them hating the guy over it.

Was I supposed to hate Djokovic after he beat one of my favourites in Australia? On the contrary. I was happy for Djokovic and knew that he was the better player and deserved to win. I accept Djokovic as a legend of the game, just like I accept Nadal and Federer as legends of the game, and it will be a sad day when they all retire. I hold no resentment over any of them for beating my favourites more often than not. I think that is the way it should be, if one is a true fan of the game.
As I've said before, Djokovic's greatest "sin" is being a better tennis player than Roger Federer. If he didn't have all those wins over the past decade over him, we wouldn't be seeing these kinds of posts in a thread like this.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
As I've said before, Djokovic's greatest "sin" is being a better tennis player than Roger Federer. If he didn't have all those wins over the past decade over him, we wouldn't be seeing these kinds of posts in a thread like this.
Except Federer fans didn't make up the fake backstory.

For some reason, Djokovic fans need to believe in a phoney history to be happy. The reality is not enough.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
17 is probably a bigger number than 20 in your book. But keep living in your fantasy world, it's better for you.

·
Registered
762 Posts
But the point is: You don't get anywhere near the junior tour without elite-level training.

Everybody knows that.
I was top 10 in Britain for my age group, and I played in all of the national championships, we had four county players at my school and we were the first comprehensive school to reach the national finals, I played with a few professional tennis players, I used to play with Andrew Richardson every week, who went on to be the British number 2 behind Tim Henman, and who was the best man at Tim Henman's wedding. For a while, I wanted to be a professional, but when I was about 13 I realised that I wasn't good enough.

How do you think I got started? I used to bat the ball around against the wall in my back garden. Didn't think anything of it at the time. Then I joined a short tennis club at my school when I was about 7 (short tennis was sponge ball and plastic rackets). I was the best in my school by miles. I was asked if I wanted to play a tournament, so I said yes. I won that. Then I won another one. Then I won the county championships. And within six months of starting playing, I played in the national championships.

There were LTA scouts at that, and they said "right, you should start playing proper tennis". So I had a go at that at my local tennis club (in a rather rough town in the north of England). It felt harder than short tennis, where you can hit the ball very flat, but after a couple of sessions I started to get the hang of hitting the ball with topspin and slice. Apparently I had some natural talent. So I ended up going to county squads, and eventually nationals.

But I used to play at my local club every week. The main thing about going away to these 'elite' events is that you get to play with the best kids. The coaching means very little. No-one can teach you how to hit a tennis ball. You just have to practice and practice. You get the odd pointer, particularly when you start out, they might give you some mental coaching, but coaching really contributes very little. Once you've learnt the basics, there is very little technical coaching.

That's why I think these ridiculous fees that people pay for academies are obscene and ridiculous. It's just a vanity project for parents with too much money. If you're good enough then you'll make it, and if you show promise from a young age then the system will embrace your talent. It says on Nadal's Wikipedia:

When he was 14, the Spanish tennis federation requested that Nadal leave Mallorca and move to Barcelona to continue his tennis training. His family turned down this request, partly because they feared his education would suffer, but also because Toni said that "I don't want to believe that you have to go to America, or other places to be a good athlete. You can do it from your home."
I completely agree with what his uncle said, although Nadal now ironically makes sh*t tonnes of money from the Rafa Nadal Academy! But sending your child there is a complete and utter waste of time, except that they might get the chance to play with some other good players, although there are cheaper ways of achieving this. You don't need to go to some $80K per year academy if you've got the talent, and if you don't have the talent then attending such an academy is just flushing money down the toilet.

·
Registered
21,286 Posts
You guys are clueless :lol: all this talk about Djokovic beating Federer or Nadal as a reason why we are making this comments when we are just digging deeper into the fake stories you guys create. But sure, we are only saying that because he beat Federer.. you guys don’t make any sense and is. pretty cheap and pathetic way to deviate from the topic

·
Registered
498 Posts
That's right. This has everything to do with Djokovic beating their favourites (Federer). They don't really care about Djokovic's background. It's sad that is the way it is.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
That's right. This has everything to do with Djokovic beating their favourites (Federer). They don't really care about Djokovic's background. It's sad that is the way it is.
What's sad is that you need to believe in obvious fairy stories about Djokovic's childhood, just to sustain your fandom.

The truth is not enough for you.

·
Registered
498 Posts
What's sad is that you need to believe in obvious fairy stories about Djokovic's childhood, just to sustain your fandom.

The truth is not enough for you.
You are not the bearer of truth. Djokovic's background is the way he and his family say it is.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You are not the bearer of truth. Djokovic's background is the way he and his family say it is.
Nobody doubts that the family had to make some sacrifices. That is only natural. After all, they had three children, all of whom became professional tennis players.

But that doesn't change the fact that the family were restaurant owners in a ski resort.

If you need to believe that restaurant owners in ski resorts (!) are the new working class, I can't help you. It means that deep down, you need this rags-to-riches fantasy.

Presumably because the tennis is not enough.

·
Registered
498 Posts
If I were to walk in a restaurant in North Africa, I would never automatically assume the owners of the restaurant are well-off and not living in poverty. I would be more understanding of my fellow human and less judgmental and assuming. Because it is always possible that even the people who are not poor for North Africa's standards can be poor as hell compared to the living standards in more developed countries. The lack of empathy in your post and automatic labeling is astonishing. I no longer want to take part of this discussion.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
If I were to walk in a restaurant in North Africa, I would never automatically assume the owners of the restaurant are well-off and not living in poverty
I'm not in the habit of striking patronising attitudes towards North African business people.

Nor of believing every Serbian business owner who wraps himself in a cloak of victimhood.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm not in the habit of striking patronising attitudes towards North African business people.

Nor of believing every Serbian business owner who wraps himself in a cloak of victimhood.
I am being understanding of the plight of my fellow human. There is a lot of suffering happening in the continent of Africa and countries like Serbia. Unlike you, I would never automatically assume that just because someone owns a restaurant in an impoverished and war-torn country such as Serbia that it automatically means they are well-off and not living in poverty. As said, even someone who is not poor for the living standards of those countries could be seen as extremely poor in relation to more developed countries.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I am being understanding of the plight of my fellow human. There is a lot of suffering happening in the continent of Africa and countries like Serbia. Unlike you, I would never automatically assume that just because someone owns a restaurant in an impoverished and war-torn country such as Serbia that it automatically means they are well-off and not living in poverty. As said, even someone who is not poor for the living standards of those countries could be seen as extremely poor in relation to more developed countries.
I know, Serbia is so like the continent of Africa, isn't it?

Always the victim. Even when you own a restaurant in a ski resort, you're always the victim.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I know, Serbia is so like the continent of Africa, isn't it?

Always the victim. Even when you own a restaurant in a ski resort, you're always the victim.
So, because Serbia is not 100% like the continent of Africa, it means Serbia was not impoverished and war-torn, and its people were not suffering? As said, the lack of empathy is astonishing. I will not reply anymore.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Your inability to fathom the existence of other weltanschauungen and life goals only highlights your extreme narrow mindedness.
You're saying Rafa continues to wreck his body at 33 with his ridiculous playing style because he simply "loves to play and numbers are secondary ?"
Speaking of 'life goals', these are people who have been dedicating their lives & sacrificing, mentally and physically, to get better at a GAME.
Competitiveness is a significant part of human mentality, just try playing a Multiplayer video game. You'll often lose to better players, and feel some level of anger/offence, potentially towards your own teammates, nevermind the opponents. Now imagine that video game is your livelihood, with billions of people watching you.

101 - 120 of 132 Posts