Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 132 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Interesting that he put 10 Euros 20 years ago and even today Serbia is using Dinars.
Oh well I guess he wants to be both melodramatic and understandable for the Western audience.
Intelligent users will instantly know this is all exaggerted for marketing purposes.
He’s being called „faker” for a reason.
He said 10 Deutchebank dollars or something like that. I was the one who altered it for drama effect and for relatability to the modern viewer

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Interesting that he put 10 Euros 20 years ago and even today Serbia is using Dinars.
Oh well I guess he wants to be both melodramatic and understandable for the Western audience.
Intelligent users will instantly know this is all exaggerted for marketing purposes.
He’s being called „faker” for a reason.
€ didn't even exist at that time.

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Never such thing existed.
Well whatever currency it was they had only ten left so the point is they were broke as fuck

·
Registered
498 Posts
Truly inspiring stuff. Most of the world is living in poverty, so most people can relate to Djokovic and his struggles when he was young than they ever can with someone who was born privileged and very rich, like Federer was. Djokovic is truly a man of the people - a people's champ if there ever was one.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Truly inspiring stuff. Most of the world is living in poverty, so most people can relate to Djokovic and his struggles when he was young than they ever can with someone who was born privileged and very rich, like Federer was. Djokovic is truly a man of the people - a people's champ if there ever was one.
But most ppl prefer the rich kids Rogie and Rafa, I wonder why...

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Because the people who live in true poverty cannot afford to watch tennis? Do many of them even know these tennis players are alive?
So he's the people's champ but mostly for people who don't know he exists. I get it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Right. If the entire world watched tennis, I think there would a different result in terms or relatability and popularity.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Its this bullshit understatement from Nadal that makes him so unpopular around the world. Of course he wants the fucking record. He sacrifices his whole life to be as good as possible in tennis, so of course the records and the numbers matter to him.

Same with Federer. He will be in absolute ruins once his Slam count gets surpassed. He should not even try to pretend otherwise. Its a joke.

I'm so tired of this pretendence, this fake humbleness. Those are all guys who will do everything to win. They are massive egoists who can't lose, that is why they made it so far.
"Nadal unpopular around the world..." A delusional assertion.

·
Registered
498 Posts
After reading more of Djokovic's story, it almost brought me to tears. I was deeply touched. I learned that Djokovic's parents had to borrow money and make unthinkable sacrifices for him to pursue his dreams. All the little boys and girls who don't come from privileged backgrounds can look at Djokovic's story and tell themselves, "Anything is possible" while daring to dream, "I want to be like Djokovic." Oh, and for the people who claim that having a tiny, unknown restaurant in an impoverished, war-torn country like Serbia meant he was well-off; well, that's ignorant and oozes privilege.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Oh, and for the people who claim that having a tiny, unknown restaurant in an impoverished, war-torn country like Serbia meant he was well-off; well, that's ignorant and oozes privilege.
What oozes privilege is thinking that owning a restaurant in a ski resort means poverty.

But some people are always the victims, aren't they? Even when they own restaurants, they're poor.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
What oozes privilege is thinking that owning a restaurant in a ski resort means poverty.

But some people are always the victims, aren't they? Even when they own restaurants, they're poor.
They never thought of themselves as poor but as a normal (working class) family.

Their problem was that 12 y.o. Djokovic went to Pilic' s tennis academy in Germany, and after several years they've virtually bankrupted, because they could not get any financial help from the state or sponsors for 15-16 y.o. Novak and were therefore forced to take loans from the loan sharks.

They did not ask for any free money, though, they would return the money from Novak's future earnings (price money + sponsors) i.e. investors (companies or private persons) would've made a lot of money if Djokovic became top-10 player, but no one was interested, except some foreign countries who asked for the switch of citizenship.

Yugoslavia never used mark, a German currency, so it is probably fake. Yugoslavia and Serbia have always used dinars, mate.
His father was traveling with him across Europe, paying for hotels and other expenses.

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
.. I hope so... even though I don't really subscribe to the whole GOAT thing.

Having the Olympics put off a year was the worse thing possible for Novak.
Well Corona was worst thing possible for both Nadal and Djokovic. Both within such close range to eclipse Fed's slams and #1 records, all put on hold

21 - 40 of 132 Posts