Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just finished watching all 27 parts of the interview. Wish this guy would just put it all in one file, but the journalist needs clicks and views so whatever. 1h48m approx. in total. I watch videos at 2x speed these days to save time

Notable quotes:

"I don't believe in limits. Limits are an illusion of your ego or mind"

On his slump post-RG 16: "I put too much emphasis in the French. I made my happiness dependent upon a result. But I was not fulfilled fully. Something was lacking. A dark place, a child crying and asking for attention. I realized because of my devotion to tennis I left that inner child behind. I did not grow up as much emotionally as tennis wise. I focused on appreciating and understanding that something happened and happened for a reason, I'm a more grown and mature person now, more able to deal with everything life has to throw at me."

On marital problems: "When you expect the least, life will give you something to work at significantly. It taught me that we must go on this journey together and we must or else it will not work."

On Kobe Bryant: "When I was injured, we had many conversations and he was always positive and always had an advice or something. He was there for me. His charisma and personality exceeded his achievements as a basketball player. First time I met him, we met in locker room. He spoke Italian and was very nice to me, way he was embracing me and allowing me to be part of his life was amazing. He and Gianna were angels and are angels now. I'll just remember Kobe as one of the biggest inspirations in life, not just in sports, but as a human being."

On losing to Delpo R1 of Rio 2016: "Was one of the most heart breaking moments of my career"

"I don't feel like I get as little love as the media portrays"

On mental strength: "Acknowledge the good and the bad possibilities of what can happen. Accept it. Ego and fears are there. But how do I turn it into positive fuel to feel joyful and present on the court and enjoy the moment. Accept the fears, do not ignore them. Accept that they are there but also that positive things can happen. Focus on executing the next point right."

"I never wanted to change nationalities to UK, but it was very tempting at the time"

"When people are chanting Rafa or Roger, I pretend they are cheering for me"

"Life is a continuous learning journey"

"I learned never say die attitude from Rafa"

"My parents were able to hide how much they sacrificed for my tennis for a long time"

"One day my father put 10 Euro on the table and said 'This is all we got' "

"Wimbledon 2005 I save 2 or 3 MP in final round of qualies and then made 3rd round, finally breaking in top 100. After that I feel I am on the highest level of tennis." (Djoker def. Moodie 4-6, 6-0, 6-7(2), 7-6(4), 6-3 in 2005 Wimbledon FQR)

On surviving bombings as a child: "After 5-6 days of being scared, people decide to accept what is happening and play cards and dance before hiding in shelter at night and praying everything will be fine" (Bensinger actually went to Belgrade for the interview and this part took place inside the actual shelter he hid in)

"We grabbed essentials and ran out of the building. I slipped in the street and turned around and saw stealth planes dropping bombs and exploding buildings. It is one of the most traumatic experiences and images I had in my childhood and carry to this day"

"You never forget what happened and you use it to fuel you. But at same time you cannot hold anger forever"

(Mama Djokovic): "During bombings we were all 5 of us in one bed. It was not easy to practice with sirens going off. Constantly afraid of bomb at any time. But we try to think positive. If they drop bomb, they drop bomb."

Q: "Would you rather beat Federer or Nadal?
A: "Both"

"In Monaco, I don't have to be the center of attention. I can be normal guy and friendly in the streets with the people. I don't perceive myself as a big star"

"Serbian sport success in last 20 years has improved our image to the West"

"Serbia will forever be in my heart #1"

"I don't enjoy travel as much as I used to. It is not easy to be away from family"

"I want to be active father. I don't want to be father who is always on the road"

"When you travel it is respectful to learn couple words of their native language and makes travel more enjoyable."

"I think most of the wars and things that happen today and religious wars in human history is because of no love or understanding. I'm better than you or my God is better than your God or whatever it is. I don't think that's the type of future we want for humankind on this planet"

"I may be playing at 40"

Q: (to Mama Djokovic) "Will Djokovic be playing at 40?"
A: "No.....He has many other things to do in his life. Maybe few more years. 3-4, 5 years the most. For me he is already GOAT but he needs the numbers"

On Djokovic Foundation focus on child hood development/education: "Much greater mission in life than just collecting trophies. We hope for every Serbian child to attain childhood education"

"I am at my best when I understand that everything comes within. And no matter what is happening on the outside, I can solve it on the inside because I can change the frequency and vibrations that I'm resonating on, and the reality changes."

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Great fucking interview

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
The moment players stop choking to this pusher, he will rush to retire.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Bad news for NextGen. They should start looking for alternatives i.e. blogging (Tsitsi) or modelling career (Sascha).

·
Registered
14,092 Posts
Wild that they blatantly misquoted Nole on the title of the video: "I will have grand slam record", never said.

None the less very aggressive and honest statements, which I love.

I do feel there will be a rude awakening for him, when Stef, Med, Sinner, etc start beating him at slams and he can't do it anymore.

He also said he believes in the journey choosing one and it chose him, more destiny ;)

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Wild that they blatantly misquoted Nole on the title of the video: "I will have grand slam record", never said.

None the less very aggressive and honest statements, which I love.

I do feel there will be a rude awakening for him, when Stef, Med, Sinner, etc start beating him at slams and he can't do it anymore.

He also said he believes in the journey choosing one and it chose him, more destiny ;)
I do agree, love the honesty, no BS there. Would be nice if Nadal and Federer just said, I want the damn slam record. It would be more fun.

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think Djokovic will end up as the GOAT, only injuries or "gurus" can stop him

·
Registered
498 Posts
Djokovic's comments are great for tennis. The sport needs a legend like him to play for as long as possible. People will lose interest without the legends. I hope the Big 3 play for as long as possible. Also, I would love to see Djokovic break the records. It will create excitement in the sport.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Would be nice if Nadal and Federer just said, I want the damn slam record. It would be more fun.
Nadal has explained countless times his stance on this. He says he would obviously be delighted by 'having the numbers' but it isn't what he lives for. He wants to play tennis for as long as he's able to win, and he always wants to win. That's his driving force, not "having a bigger house than my neighbours" or more slams than anyone.

Seems Novak is the most desperate for "the numbers". Apart from Mirka, of course.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I like it. No bullshitting around.

Chances are we all have to kneel down rather sooner than later to the Serb when he shatters the #20 Slam mark. He wants it badly, and he will do everything to get it. I respect that.

I find Djokovics tendencies to believe in esoteric bullshit and his urge to be loved off-putting to say the least. But even I have to admit that Djokovic is the most honest of the Big 3.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Nadal has explained countless times his stance on this. He says he would obviously be delighted by 'having the numbers' but it isn't what he lives for. He wants to play tennis for as long as he's able to win, and he always wants to win. That's his driving force, not "having a bigger house than my neighbours" or more slams than anyone.

Seems Novak is the most desperate for "the numbers". Apart from Mirka, of course.
Its this bullshit understatement from Nadal that makes him so unpopular around the world. Of course he wants the fucking record. He sacrifices his whole life to be as good as possible in tennis, so of course the records and the numbers matter to him.

Same with Federer. He will be in absolute ruins once his Slam count gets surpassed. He should not even try to pretend otherwise. Its a joke.

I'm so tired of this pretendence, this fake humbleness. Those are all guys who will do everything to win. They are massive egoists who can't lose, that is why they made it so far.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Its this bullshit understatement from Nadal that makes him so unpopular around the world. Of course he wants the fucking record. He sacrifices his whole life to be as good as possible in tennis, so of course the records and the numbers matter to him.

Same with Federer. He will be in absolute ruins once his Slam count gets surpassed. He should not even try to pretend otherwise. Its a joke.

I'm so tired of this pretendence, this fake humbleness. Those are all guys who will do everything to win. They are massive egoists who can't lose, that is why they made it so far.
Your inability to fathom the existence of other weltanschauungen and life goals only highlights your extreme narrow mindedness.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Not true. He is being adored here in Turkey, barely behind Federer of course, among tennis enthusiasts. Djokovic is the clear 3rd.
Casual fans never ever care about interviews, wordings, style of talk etc., forum folk should get this.

·
Registered
14,092 Posts
"I don't believe in limits. Limits are an illusion of your ego or mind"

You thought this cliche of a quote where he randomly said 2 things at the end to put the sentence together was noteable? i mean maybe, but it came across a little cliche

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
"I don't believe in limits. Limits are an illusion of your ego or mind
Seems he totally disregards the physical limits of the material world. I hope it doesn't make him jump from the rooftop one day expecting to fly.

·
justice for all
13,161 Posts
Interesting that he put 10 Euros 20 years ago and even today Serbia is using Dinars.
Oh well I guess he wants to be both melodramatic and understandable for the Western audience.
Intelligent users will instantly know this is all exaggerted for marketing purposes.
He’s being called „faker” for a reason.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts