Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
62,121 Posts
I suspect Connors will regain this record in a few years time. Connors had a higher percentage than 83,13 when he was Djokovic' age. Also when he was Federer's age.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I suspect Connors will regain this record in a few years time. Connors had a higher percentage than 83,13 when he was Djokovic' age. Or Federer's age for that matter.
Yes, stats like these have different meaning for active and retired players, and playing well past your prime is punished. Still a great figure for Djokovic though.

·
Premium Member
62,121 Posts
Yes, stats like these have different meaning for active and retired players, and players well past your prime is punished. Still a great figure for Djokovic though.
The real revelation in this chart for me is that Djokovic is just 18 wins away from tieing Sampras in career match wins. That's quite something.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The real revelation in this chart for me is that Djokovic is just 18 wins away from tieing Sampras in career match wins. That's quite something.
Well, it tells us that Djokovic played ~ 64% of his matches on HC, while Sampras only played ~ 54% of his matches on HC.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
*highest Plexipave winning percentage

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
No surprise, definitely one of the HC GOATS. Even his detractors admit that. Him and Rogi reign supreme. Connors stats are amazing too.

Nadal being in the top 10 is an embarassment for the sport though. Damn Tio and his random draws.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Sampras was definitely a big match player. I'm not too surprised that this is the case (Djokovic matching him in career match wins) considering when Pete played there was no mega huge emphasis on dominating ALL of the events, or really caring about the # of Master 1000 tier level events won. Looking back at Pete's seasons he was not really always THAT dominant outside of the slams. again, depending on the time priorities and goals of players often differe

interesting that Djokovic's W-L percentage is so good. I do think it is important to note that, say, Federer at Djokovic's age undoubtedly had a much better percentage of W-L on HC (or grass even) but obviously these stats tend to drop as you play longer. They certainly have for Roger. generally after 27/28 these W-L percentages begin to drop

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
No surprise, definitely one of the HC GOATS. Even his detractors admit that. Him and Rogi reign supreme. Connors stats are amazing too.

Nadal being in the top 10 is an embarassment for the sport though. Damn Tio and his random draws.
you're aware that Nadal has beaten both Djokovic and Federer in Hard Court grand slam finals right? you can argue what you like about his overall draw, but undoubtedly he had to beat the best hard court players on the planet in the instances of his wins

also: while Djokovic obviously is on his way to become one of the great hard court players, his #1 stat percentage right now is obviously extremely skewed when all of the comparable players in the top 10 had careers decades ago and played well into their 30s. when Djokovic is 33, he most likely will be a couple percent lower

·
Premium Member
12,346 Posts
Sampras was definitely a big match player. I'm not too surprised that this is the case (Djokovic matching him in career match wins) considering when Pete played there was no mega huge emphasis on dominating ALL of the events, or really caring about the # of Master 1000 tier level events won. Looking back at Pete's seasons he was not really always THAT dominant outside of the slams. again, depending on the time priorities and goals of players often differe

interesting that Djokovic's W-L percentage is so good. I do think it is important to note that, say, Federer at Djokovic's age undoubtedly had a much better percentage of W-L on HC (or grass even) but obviously these stats tend to drop as you play longer. They certainly have for Roger. generally after 27/28 these W-L percentages begin to drop
I think it's even more incredible that Federer has been able to maintain #1 in HC even post 30.

·
Banned
923 Posts
All of these kinds of stats are completely useless and I don't understand the obsession with them. Completely different surfaces, completely different competition, completely different playstyles.

Reactions: SHOKAN

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
I suspect Connors will regain this record in a few years time. Connors had a higher percentage than 83,13 when he was Djokovic' age. Also when he was Federer's age.
What was Federer's at around Djokovic's age, that is a month or so shy of his 28 birthday (circa July '09)? it seems to me that Federer's HC dominance started to wane even before that age and the rate at which he was winning the HC M1000s was considerably less than Novak's these days..

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,515 Posts
I can't say I'm very surprised by this, in all honesty. Djokovic's consistency when it comes to results is one of his greatest traits as a player.

Also, I can't help but laugh at how Andy always finds his way into these groups of players :lol:

·
Registered
18,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What was Federer's at around Djokovic's age, that is a month or so shy of his 28 birthday (circa July '09)? it seems to me that Federer's HC dominance started to wane even before that age and the rate at which he was winning the HC M1000s was considerably less than Novak's these days..
Through 2008: 82.3% (363-78)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts