Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three questions.

1) Which was the better match in terms of quality and drama?

2) Who was closer to victory: Djokovic in RG or Nadal in Wim? Nole was one point away from a 5-3 lead in the 5th in RG 2013 and Nadal had 5 break points to serve for the match at WIM 2018.

3) If they could, would they swap their victories: both would; just Nole; just Rafa; neither would? Djokovic would have likely have beaten Ferrer in the RG2013 final and would now have the DCGS. First man since Laver.

Conversely, Nadal would have likely beaten Anderson at Wim and would still have 'La Decima' 10 RG's but also 3 WIM. First male player to have at least 3 slams across clay, grass and hard.

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
Three questions.

1) Which was the better match in terms of quality and drama?

2) Who was closer to victory: Djokovic in RG or Nadal in Wim? Nole was one point away from a 5-3 lead in the 5th in RG 2013 and Nadal had 5 break points to serve for the match at WIM 2018.

3) If they could, would they swap their victories: both would; just Nole; just Rafa; neither would? Djokovic would have likely have beaten Ferrer in the RG2013 final and would now have the DCGS. First man since Laver.

Conversely, Nadal would have likely beaten Anderson at Wim and would still have 'La Decima' 10 RG's but also 3 WIM. First male player to have at least 3 slams across clay, grass and hard.
no.2 is obviously Rafa. He was serving for the match in set 4, got choked a bit and lead to tie-breaker where he lost. If not, the match should have finished in 4 sets. While in wimby 2018, he got 3 set points in set 2 which will give him huge advantage going into the next day.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
I think AO 2012 and RG 2013 were more similar. The winner had it in the 4th, but then lost and started poorly the 5th and almost loses it before turning it around. Also both won on "their" tournament.

This one was always close and could go either way, there were not many turnarounds during a set, and there were no breaks in the 5th until the final game.

I don't think they'd swap, Djokovic ended up winning RG anyway, and it meant holding the 4 slams at the same time when he did, maybe that wouldn't have happened. And this slam is huge for him after this 2 years. And for Nadal RG is the most important tournament.

·
Your visions will happen
47,123 Posts
I think AO 2012 and RG 2013 were more similar. The winner had it in the 4th, but then lost and started poorly the 5th and almost loses it before turning it around. Also both won on "their" tournament.

This one was always close and could go either way, there were not many turnarounds during a set, and there were no breaks in the 5th until the final game.

I don't think they'd swap, Djokovic ended up winning RG anyway, and it meant holding the 4 slams at the same time when he did, maybe that wouldn't have happened. And this slam is huge for him after this 2 years. And for Nadal RG is the most important tournament.
Yes I agree with this

Also the fact that this one was spread over 2 days that sort of lessened some of the greatness of the match unfortunately I think, even if the quality may have been better especially the 5th set and the epic 3rd set TB

If this match had gone on late night and finished like 1 or 2 AM on that Friday then maybe it really would have been the GOAT match but they still need to play one 5 set epic in New York

·
Registered
445 Posts
WIMBI 2018: longer, more games, higher level of tennis, more drama.
people will remamber this match more, i think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts