Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Djokovic Nadal Usopen 2011 F was by far the best match of the decade.

The level of both was absolutely insane. Superprime Rafa playing great was demolished by Djokovic. The intensity and quality of the rallies was outstanding.

Incredibly people dont rate this match.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
It was a match that ended in 4 sets and with the last one being 6-1, so can't really say it was "THE" match of the decade at all, just a great match. It even could have been a straight-set victory had Djokovic served it out.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
It is a very underrated match, the level of play was incredible, however it was a 4 setter and two sets were one sided, so while the quality was high the match wasn't really dramatic so I can't really say it was the match of the decade although its one of my all time favorite matches.

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
When I think of best matches I've ever seen (quality-wise) this one pops up in my mind quickly. However, as @BauerAlmeida said, Nadal had to fight really hard to even win a set. There was no big drama outcome-wise, which is the reason why it's losing in the poll to famous 5-setters.

·
Your visions will happen
48,633 Posts
That match was a preview for AO 12

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
3rd set was madness,demonic intensity and quality...But overall Djoko was way better + Rafa in first 2 sets,imho,played short, and that smash on bp :|

Reactions: Budadiii

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Only the third set was really one to watch, the first and fourth were one sided and the second was decent but nothing extraordinary. They’ve played many matches better than this one.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
It was a high quality match obviously, but I'd definitely rate AO 12 and RG 13 above it. Only four sets instead of five, and two of those sets weren't even particularly close.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Even as a Fedtard I have no problem acknowledging the heights Djoker reached in this match. In terms of ballstriking this could stand as evidence why Djokovic might be the greatest ever, without of course matching Federer's variety, style and artistry.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Great match, great intensity. In my opinion, FO 2013 is overrated, this latter stays because of (thanks to) the fifth. Doesn't forget that Nadal had to win in 4. The same for the AO 2012, but the reverse. Nadal has been dominated, Djokovic had to win in 4 but there was a fifth.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'd say their rivalry peaked in the 3rd set of the match. Ridiculous intensity and after winning it, Nadal had nothing to give in the 4th set even though Djokovic himself was struggling physically.

·
|
15,007 Posts
Djokovic only had a chance to win this match (which he did, and comfortably in the end) because Rafa was in defensive mode and refused to take the necessary risks.
Watch 2010 US Open Final and 2013 US Open Final and you see the enormous difference in Rafa's shot-selection.
When Rafa goes down-the-line regularly, Djokovic has no chance at the US Open.
Whereas cross-court Rafa is going to lose.
2011 US Open Final is the most overrated match of all-time, because Rafa was low on confidence (but in great shape physically, hence all the long rallies) and that is the only reason why Djokovic won.
They played a similar style of tennis at 2015 Roland Garros, another time when Rafa was extremely low on confidence.
Its garbage tennis, and its the only way Djokovic can win.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well no. Nadal only held serve 7 times out of 18 service games ... really felt he was never in this match. Fought really hard though and there were some insane rallies, but it was a very one-sided match.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'd say their rivalry peaked in the 3rd set of the match. Ridiculous intensity and after winning it, Nadal had nothing to give in the 4th set even though Djokovic himself was struggling physically.
I'm happy enough that Rafa wins in the peak of their rivalry.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
3rd set the best I've ever seen, I think.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
No, the match had some amazing rallies but it doesn't even come close to being the best match of the decade. For me, the greatest match of all time, (and the decade, logically) can be only AO 2012 Final. The atmosphere, intensity, passion, and drama of that final is something otherworldly. Both Rafa and Djoko played their best in that match and both were physically at their peak. A truly gladiatorial match.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts