Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,913 Posts
I don't know how seriously he's taking this, seeing how he is only scheduled to play in Shanghai and Paris

Here are his quotes on the subject:

"I definitely would not mind being number one again"

“I will try to endanger Nadal's position by the end of the year, see if I can make it."

There isn't a lot of conviction in these statements

·
Registered
14,493 Posts
I don't know how seriously he's taking this, seeing how he is only scheduled to play in Shanghai and Paris
+ the Tour Finals. If he'll be undefeated there, that would alone bring him 1,500 points. More than enough to get to #1.
Anyway a wise decision not playing Beijing, since he'll also play Laver Cup which is very close to that and this way he'll avoid the obvious overplaying.

·
Banned
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+ the Tour Finals. If he'll be undefeated there, that would alone bring him 1,500 points. More than enough to get to #1.
Anyway a wise decision not playing Beijing, since he'll also play Laver Cup which is very close to that and this way he'll avoid the obvious overplaying.
He definitely doesn't need Beijing to be #1.

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,913 Posts
This is only if you assume Nadal doesn't win another match

RAFA is still scheduled to play in Beijing, Shanghai, and Paris. Maybe even Vienna

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
I hope he’s just assuming that Nadal is stripped of ranking points or something. :lol:

He doesn’t need to overplay to get No. 1. RG and Toronto hurt his chances, but it was all worth it if it meant that he could bag Wimbledon and the USO. He’ll have a greater chance next year.

I honestly don’t know the points necessary, but I know that Nadal’s Masters and deep slam runs make this pretty tough.

·
Banned
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No1e is only 1035 points behind Nadal in the race. That will be really easy for No1e to overcome. Plus Nadal likely won't play Beijing and Shanghai which will make it easier.

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,913 Posts
I hope he’s just assuming that Nadal is stripped of ranking points or something. :lol:

He doesn’t need to overplay to get No. 1. RG and Toronto hurt his chances, but it was all worth it if it meant that he could bag Wimbledon and the USO. He’ll have a greater chance next year.

I honestly don’t know the points necessary, but I know that Nadal’s Masters and deep slam runs make this pretty tough.
Nadal is ahead by 1035 points, which is certainly not insurmountable

But Djokovic's best chance is hoping Nadal skips most of the indoor season

·
Banned
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nadal is ahead by 1035 points, which is certainly not insurmountable

But Djokovic's best chance is hoping Nadal skips most of the indoor season
Nadal may skip Beijing and Shanghai. Plus if he plays Paris and WTF he'll likely lose early anyway. The last time he made the SF of Bercy was 2013. No1e won Bercy 3 of the last 4 times he played there. He also won 3 of the last 5 times he played in Shanghai plus 4 of the last 5 WTF.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
If he takes a WC to Beijing and wins it and Shanghai he could always withdraw from Paris. Taking the WC to Beijing just gives him more options.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
This is only if you assume Nadal doesn't win another match

RAFA is still scheduled to play in Beijing, Shanghai, and Paris. Maybe even Vienna
I was under the impression from his Davis Cup withdrawal announcement that he's out for a month which would include Beijing and be cutting it close for Shanghai.

·
Registered
10,267 Posts

Here are his quotes on the subject:

"I definitely would not mind being number one again"

“I will try to endanger Nadal's position by the end of the year, see if I can make it."

There isn't a lot of conviction in these statements
What is most important is that his hunger for tennis is on a new higher level ...

Basically, what really excites me is the new level of play and concentration I have reached in the last two and a half months.

“I want to keep it as long as possible - if I'm playing it, I think I have a very good chance in any tournament and on any medium.
Means that he will enter Shanghai, Paris and WTF with passion and with highest determination to win. I think that wasn't the case in Toronto for instance

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,913 Posts
I was under the impression from his Davis Cup withdrawal announcement that he's out for a month which would include Beijing and be cutting it close for Shanghai.
Only DC is confirmed. His participation in Beijing is still up in the air

·
The special one
14,022 Posts
He's definitely favourite, despite the 1000+ points difference. Andy was further behind Djokovic in 2016 at this stage and made up the difference, so it's not an insurmountable lead, especially if Nadal pulls out of the Asia swing, which he really should do.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts