Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It just occurred to me in his match vs Dimitrov. He is mentally a shadow of the amazingly clutch player he once was. After that smash fail he is almost a mental midget, losing 3 slam finals and a QF at his best slam to Stan since. If he beat Nadal there he could be on 10 slams now and Nadal still stuck on 11. Sad.

Discuss.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
If Rafa had not gotten injured in 2008 - Roger wouldnt have 2009 wimby.

STuff happens - its part of life. Be happy for the luck your idol enjoys and stop worrying abt others
Nadal gets injured, because his playing style is extremely physical. If his playing style was less physical, he wouldn't have half his slams.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
Mentally fried but playing as shit as possible and still making the final on his worst surface.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Mentally fried but playing as shit as possible and still making the final on his worst surface.
Immense coaching by Becker, too good.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Indeed. After that choke he has wasted so many opportunities, the us open third set being the worst example. I mean losing to Nadal on HC was more excusable in his worst ever 2010 form, but now? Come on man.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
It's the Uniqlo curse. Nishikori plagued by injuries. Nole plagued by muggery.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Indeed. After that choke he has wasted so many opportunities, the us open third set being the worst example. I mean losing to Nadal on HC was more excusable in his worst ever 2010 form, but now? Come on man.
funny since it would appear every player on tour can (and has) lose to Nadal on hardcourt

·
Banned
5,740 Posts
If Rafa had not gotten injured in 2008 - Roger wouldnt have 2009 wimby.

STuff happens - its part of life. Be happy for the luck your idol enjoys and stop worrying abt others
Rafa's Bitch only fluked grand slams after 2008 when Rafa was injured. He was lucky Nole was in the form of his life in 2011 to save his ass.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
It just occurred to me in his match vs Dimitrov. He is mentally a shadow of the amazingly clutch player he once was. After that smash fail he is almost a mental midget, losing 3 slam finals and a QF at his best slam to Stan since. If he beat Nadal there he could be on 10 slams now and Nadal still stuck on 11. Sad.

Discuss.
you could also attribute it to game styles

the fact is that Djokovic is an extremely defensive player. he arguably counter punches EVEN MORE than Nadal or Murray

look at the big matches against Nadal the last few years, or the Wimbledon final last year- it's Djokovic's opponents whom are stepping up and finding the right shot or 'killshot' so to speak a bit faster

Novak has a problem where he is content on grinding on the baseline which at times can work great and open up positions and shots for him, but at other moments can create grooves for his opponents. essentially he gives so many shots to the other guy that the other guy begins to find their range

people blame a lot of it on Djkovic's mentality but the reality is his game style lets the better players stay in it too long

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
you could also attribute it to game styles

the fact is that Djokovic is an extremely defensive player. he arguably counter punches EVEN MORE than Nadal or Murray

look at the big matches against Nadal the last few years, or the Wimbledon final last year- it's Djokovic's opponents whom are stepping up and finding the right shot or 'killshot' so to speak a bit faster

Novak has a problem where he is content on grinding on the baseline which at times can work great and open up positions and shots for him, but at other moments can create grooves for his opponents. essentially he gives so many shots to the other guy that the other guy begins to find their range

people blame a lot of it on Djkovic's mentality but the reality is his game style lets the better players stay in it too long
Djokovic hit like 30 more winners than Nadal in Rome Dulltard

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts

Discuss.
Yes and no, Nadal was scary good in those wins and plays the safest game on tour probably, gives very few errors, so while Nole could've won more, he also could've lost more. If he wins on Sunday, he will have 2 Ws, which is something that far better grasscourters than him never achieved, so it's still glass half full I'd say :)

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
He does in all their matches, he is way more aggressive. Seriously, thanks for quoting me and reminding me why I have that clown on my ignore list!

Doesnt he realise by suggesting Novak is more defensive he is insulting dull. So someone less aggressive can hit a billion more winners in all matches but a few? Right. Clearly didn't watch their last few matches if he thinks Nadal was more aggressive, look at the stats :wavey:

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
I'm not talking about winners, I'm talking about style of play

whether it's forcing errors or winners is irrelevant (a player like Nadal hits loopy spin balls that create errors off the opponents racket rather than hits flat winners)

if you can see it's style of play that's screwing Djokovic than your blind. he lets people 'get into their groove' with his pong like defense

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
He does in all their matches, he is way more aggressive. Seriously, thanks for quoting me and reminding me why I have that clown on my ignore list!

Doesnt he realise by suggesting Novak is more defensive he is insulting dull. So someone less aggressive can hit a billion more winners in all matches but a few? Right. Clearly didn't watch their last few matches if he thinks Nadal was more aggressive, look at the stats :wavey:
if you don't understand why Nadal's spin dominated game creates less winners off of his own racket and more errors off of his opponents racket than you do not know much about the game

it's not a matter of aggression, it's a matter of how he's hitting the ball (i.e. spin dominant, awkward,- not flat and on the line for a winner).. Nadal plays agressive counter punching often

also it's bizarre for you to say- did you watch all of the biggest matches Djokovic played in the last season or two- his opponents were the ones who stepped up! re-watch them and come back to me and say that he's some aggressive machine. he's not

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
It's really Roger's fault! You see, if Rogi tanks RG 2011 semi, Nole routines Rafa in the final, and with an RG title and final W over Nadal in his trunk, Novak would not have choked in 2013.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Murray broke his will USO 12.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Don't you think that's a great quality?

But, yeah. Playing utter shit on his worst surface, yet somehow managing to get to another GS final. I stopped trying to understand Djokovic a long time ago. I just go with a flow. When you expect big things from him he fails, when you expect nothing he somehow makes things happen. It's not easy to be his fan, but it's fun ...:smoke:.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts