Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's really looking skinny and light. I know that type of frame works well for him - his flexibility is essential to his game - but he looked so much buffer and stronger at AO 2012.

Feel like this diet and age may have decreased his muscle mass. Can't he eat a few burgers or some more red meat? He may want to think about trying to adjust his diet to retain more muscle as he ages, he has lost penetration on his groundstroke ball.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
That would make sense, but first he needs to have a more offensive mindset.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
he's been pretty safe this year
has lost power due to age
weight isnt an issue, just power and technique/game is more defensive
if you look at his 2007 highlights, he had more powerful groundies in this tournament - hit peak fed off the court.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he's been pretty safe this year

has lost power due to age

weight isnt an issue, just power and technique/game is more defensive

if you look at his 2007 highlights, he had more powerful groundies in this tournament - hit peak fed off the court.

Yes but I'm saying to counteract the aging he may need to increase calorie intake.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
No he doesn't. He lost power because he is overloading his FH with topspin. Every pound more would hurt him since he relies on sliding more than anyone else. Main problem would be a decrease in longevity / durability not necessarily in flexibility.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Yes but I'm saying to counteract the aging he may need to increase calorie intake.
Yeah he looks kinda too skinny, but I've seen him practice this year, and that is all rockhard muscle on him. Very lean and strong. He sacrificed some strength for agility probably.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I'm absolutely sure Novak is at the weight he wants to be at, that's what his team of scientists are for.

I also remember a thread like this a few years back regarding fed's physique.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Lol no.I thought you would understand Novak by now. He is just hitting with too much topsin, if he choses Novak can flatten out his stroke and pound it.

For eg watch highlights against Nadal this year at RG or Monte Carlo or against gasquet at Rg and Many more examples this year of him choosing when to flatten out his forehand. It has nothing to do with weight.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
He can hit with power but he doesn't do it regularly and that's something I really hate.

·
Registered
22,154 Posts
If he wants to look more attractive for straight girls/gays, then yes he should gain some weight.

But for tennis purposes, to do better on tennis courts, no he shouldn't. His weight is as fine as it is atm. It's perfect for his tennis.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
No. That would be terrible. Why would any tennis played need more weight?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Djokovic lost power because he is not taking shots on the rise anymore. He is more defensive for some stupid reason... I think the practice to win RG ruined his aggressive hard court game. Look at Nishi... He is so freaking tiny but the power man... It's all from aggressive technique.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, Nole is anorexic :lol:
Looks it.

For a guy, gluten and dairy free, with a propensity for vegetables and fish/white meat, is basically the equivalent of anorexia.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Looks it.

For a guy, gluten and dairy free, with a propensity for vegetables and fish/white meat, is basically the equivalent of anorexia.
Yeah, I saw an off-court photo of him walking with Jelena and he has a short-sleeved t-shirt on. He doesn't quite look anorexic but he looks almost borderline.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The Bruce Lee of tennis don't need no mass. :rocker2:

But seriously, why change the winning combo? This skinny guy is winning every important title this year. Screw aesthetics, if he does gain more mass he should do it solely to become even more effective than he is now.

·
Registered
567 Posts
No he doesn't. He lost power because he is overloading his FH with topspin. Every pound more would hurt him since he relies on sliding more than anyone else. Main problem would be a decrease in longevity / durability not necessarily in flexibility.
Pretty much this. People sometimes just don't get it when they talk about Djokovic losing power etc. Before Djokovic FH stroke used to be hit flatter but he changed it(probably to increase his chances of winning RG) and added more topspin to FH and sacrifice power and hitting flat.

It's not as much as losing power but a conscious choice he made to go for more topspin rather than flat strokes

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
no no

Djokovic wants to be faster in movement not to have stronger ground strokes. Movement is key element of the game for him.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts