Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
49,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the restart, Djokovic's inability or unwillingness to engage in long and grueling rallies has been very evident

He is servebotting more than ever, drop shotting more than ever, less willing than ever to play those epic rallies that put him into the top 6-8 players of the last 150 years

Is it just age or is it the after-effects of Corona caught in the summer?

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Could be both. Or he just wants to shortened points. Even Rafa has been doing this last few years.
Federer has been always doing this.
This kids are fitter and better shape then normally. So they are not afraid anymore.
But AO21 will show how things are.
People were saying all things about Rafa and RG20. Same thing happened in the end.
Same could be for Nole.

·
Registered
824 Posts
For me there was a big drop off in physicality after the comeback from the elbow surgery. He improved his endurance somewhat since then, but his shot resistance and physicality never got back to pre surgery levels. It has tailed off further this season, but whether this is down to aging, Covid or a lack of quality training I don't know. I also think the surgery made him less effective against heavy crosscourt topspin shots on clay: he can't deal with Rafa's spin high to the backhand like he used too.

You're right: he has become a servebot-pusher that struggles to change direction on the backhand. The forehand is now the more reliable shot. Back in the day he would generate power with the forehand and absorb and redirect the opponent's power with the backhand - changing directions whilst hardly ever missing the court - with superb depth. The only positive with the backhand is the improved quality of the slice.

I never back Djokovic in long rallies anymore 5 + shots.
I never back him to win back to back long matches.
I don't automatically expect him to outlast the opponent in a first long match of a tournament. Three fundamental changes of perspective re Nole.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
dunno if it's covid related, but his BH got much weaker for sure. it was an asset once, now it's a liability.
I don't think it's a liability but against the very best players on that wing in cross-court exchanges like Zverev, Medvedev and Thiem (or Nadal if his forehand is firing) it's not an automatic avoid for them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am a physician and have wondered about the same things. His use of drop shots have been very frustrating to say the least.

However, one other possibility is that the season was compressed and he played a lot during that time and so he may have worn out at the end of the season. It is also a likely combination of mild COVID hangover, compressed season, and aging. Regardless, he is likely to be more cautious in his amount of tournaments going forward.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that it's mostly age, a history of niggles and some injuries, and maybe a small amount of impact from COVID. The overall observation seems correct. His fascination with the drop shot lately is another indication he doesn't want to grind as much.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I made a similar thread here by the way although it's more focused on my hatred for servebot-pushing:

Reactions: friður

·
Banned
70,522 Posts
didn´t he have covid months ago?

·
Registered
17,892 Posts
Is it just age or is it the after-effects of Corona caught in the summer?
Did Dimitrov and Coric experience similar after-effects? Granted, they are younger but it might not count that much in that respect.
I don't see the Croatian and the Bulgarian suffering from physical setbacks or unwillingness to rally.
So it cannot be Covid-related, could be rather age or some minor niggle related.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Did Dimitrov and Coric experience similar after-effects? Granted, they are younger but it might not count that much in that respect.
I don't see the Croatian and the Bulgarian suffering of physical setbacks or of unwillingness not to rally.
So it cannot be Covid-related.
Article here about Dimitrov still suffering from Covid after effects:

Reactions: Break point Dom.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Impossible to know.

I also had Covid (4 months ago, mild symptoms) and I'm still not the same as before.
If you don't mind elaborating, how were you diagnosed with it, what were the mild symptoms, how did you treat it and what were you like before compared to now?

·
Registered
17,892 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Slightly of topic, but I had Swine flu when I was in my early 20s. It developed into a post viral condition known as CFS/ME. I also became lactose and gluten intolerant and have other conditions as a result of this, including physical and mental health conditions. I was studying for my PHD at the time and was extremely active all my life playing football, tennis, squash, basketball etc.I had an extremely active life style in general. Now I spend almost all my time indoors, as physically I'm a wreck and seem to be deteriorating rather than getting better - even after 10 + years. I'm not capable of working or having an active social life anymore, and my cognitive abilities are significantly impaired.
Moral of the story: a virus can wreck your life even if you're very young and healthy. When I see people all blase about Covid I shudder: I think... they could become me. The crossover of symptoms is uncanny and gives pause for thought. Even if Covid doesn't get you it can develop into a post viral illness such as CFS/ME etc.If you're an athlete something like Covid or what comes after you've "recovered" could effectively end your career. Look at Soderling's story.

·
Premium Member
11,513 Posts
The answer could be yes or no.

But to be fair , if you look at AO 2020 , he didn't win in sensational fashion, in fact he could have lost to Thiem in the final . Even though he was unbeaten for a long time, it wasn't necessarily due to his level.

Maybe some Djokovic fans will claim his BOAT and 2020 is Peak Level, but his 2020 version is not blowing me or most of MTF out of the water, in comparison to 2011 / 2015/2016 .

Otherwise there are supposed long term affects of COVID 19 , at the same time 2020 Djokovic isn't an invincible monster.

Reactions: Pedigree
1 - 20 of 71 Posts