Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really like to see Djokovic stop celebrating his tennis victories by taking his shirt off and walking around for the crowd. I don't think this is appropriate tennis etiquette - actually, I think its in very poor taste.

I can't help but wonder - why does he do it??? It sure doesn't do anything for me. I think his coach should give him some advice. Now, if Maria Sharapova were to take her tennis dress off to celebrate her victories, she would certainly have my undivided attention! And I wouldn't complain!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would really like to see Djokovic stop celebrating his tennis victories by taking his shirt off and walking around for the crowd. I don't think this is appropriate tennis etiquette - actually, I think its in very poor taste.

I can't help but wonder - why does he do it??? It sure doesn't do anything for me. I think his coach should give him some advice. Now, if Maria Sharapova were to take her tennis dress off to celebrate her victories, she would certainly have my undivided attention! And I wouldn't complain!
First of all why do you care how he celebrates his victories he certenly doesn't think how you are going to react when he does anything and correct if im wrong but i dont remember him taking his shirt off and that way celebrating his victory but i do remember him taking his shirt off AND CHANGING IT![probably beacause he had ussually ran 3 hours and got a little sweaty]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all why do you care how he celebrates his victories he certenly doesn't think how you are going to react when he does anything and correct if im wrong but i dont remember him taking his shirt off and that way celebrating his victory but i do remember him taking his shirt off AND CHANGING IT![probably beacause he had ussually ran 3 hours and got a little sweaty]
First of all, Djokovic is a high-profile representative of pro tennis. What he does in a tournament is broadcast around the world, and so it is important and beyond dispute that he behave in a manner that creates a positive image of the game.

I have been playing tennis in private clubs, community clubs, in tournaments and in many different countries for more than 30 years and have attended numerous pro tournaments over the years, so I am a close observer and participant of the game. Therefore, my opinion on his removing his shirt to celebrate will be representative of a very wide and large audience, and so he would do well to take such feedback to heart.

The normal routine for a male pro is to first celebrate his win with his shirt on and then retire to his seat to possibly change shirts, usually off-camera. But, what Djokovic does, immediately after a win, is take off his shirt and then start celebrating in front of the cameras by walking around the court, waving to the fans and posing for photos in his shorts. When thats all done after several minutes, then he goes to his bag at his chair to change. You should check the replays.

You should keep in mind that the women pros do not have the luxury of changing their shirts or dresses after a match, so I would think Djokovic should just tough it out with his soaked shirt while he celebrates in front of the crowd.

From my own personal experience, when I with win a tough match, the last thing I think about right after is changing shirts. I find the one I have on feels just fine until I start cooling down.

·
Registered
685 Posts
maybe i`ll surprise you but women watch tennis too as well,and as a woman myself i can tell you that we need to see some more skin,too!since Becker and Edberg`s era of extremely tight and short pants is gone there aren`t that many ways to see what the boys do actually have:angel:!

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
maybe i`ll surprise you but women watch tennis too as well,and as a woman myself i can tell you that we need to see some more skin,too!since Becker and Edberg`s era of extremely tight and short pants is gone there aren`t that many ways to see what the boys do actually have:angel:!
We may need to see more skin, but I can think of other players I would much rather see shirtless :p But he won so it was up to him what he did to enjoy the moment ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
First of all, Djokovic is a high-profile representative of pro tennis. What he does in a tournament is broadcast around the world, and so it is important and beyond dispute that he behave in a manner that creates a positive image of the game.

I have been playing tennis in private clubs, community clubs, in tournaments and in many different countries for more than 30 years and have attended numerous pro tournaments over the years, so I am a close observer and participant of the game. Therefore, my opinion on his removing his shirt to celebrate will be representative of a very wide and large audience, and so he would do well to take such feedback to heart.

The normal routine for a male pro is to first celebrate his win with his shirt on and then retire to his seat to possibly change shirts, usually off-camera. But, what Djokovic does, immediately after a win, is take off his shirt and then start celebrating in front of the cameras by walking around the court, waving to the fans and posing for photos in his shorts. When thats all done after several minutes, then he goes to his bag at his chair to change. You should check the replays.

You should keep in mind that the women pros do not have the luxury of changing their shirts or dresses after a match, so I would think Djokovic should just tough it out with his soaked shirt while he celebrates in front of the crowd.

From my own personal experience, when I with win a tough match, the last thing I think about right after is changing shirts. I find the one I have on feels just fine until I start cooling down.
Well this is one of the reasons why i like Djokovic and that is because he makes tennis more intesting while you and many others on the other hand make it boring as if it has to be completely serious and now for the second part i dont know where you have seen Djokovic posing for cameras shirtless of course when he wins a tournament he takes his shirt off and than a few photos may be taken but the pictures are taken through THE WHOLE MATCH so he isnt posing and then someone might put those pictures on the internet and that is also normal because it shows how happy he is considering HE JUST WON A GRAND SLAM...and again I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY DO YOU CARE IF HE TAKES HIS SHIRT OFF OR NOT believe me it does not make tennis look bad acctually it can make it better because people can see that there is someone normal that doesnt care how he will look in front of the cameras or some people because that REALLY ISNT IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE NORMAL....HE TAKES HIS SHIRT OFF BECAUSE HE IS HAPPY IF YOU WOULD WIN EVEN ONE TOURNAMENT THAT HE HAS WON YOU WOULD PROBABLY DO SOMETHING SIMILAR

We may need to see more skin, but I can think of other players I would much rather see shirtless But he won so it was up to him what he did to enjoy the moment
Yeah i agree it was his choice and he desided to take his shirt off DEAL WITH IT!!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I didn't find taking his shirt off as offensive or negative...
Maybe his attitude toward the ball boys, but like taking your shirt off in soccer and getting a yellow card (something for me that it's stupid) doesn't make sense to me, well this way too...

·
Registered
7 Posts
well you really cant compare football and tennis it is different yeah in football players sometimes do take off their shirts for no reason but even that is rare and for those[in football] who do take their shirts off ussualy do that when they score a goal and they do that because they want to express their happines the normal ones really dont care if anyone on tv is watching because they scored a goal not the guy that is watching they can do whatever they want and well in tennis it is completely normal and Djokovic isnt the only one who takes his shirt off when he wins a tournament but i am not going to explane a hundred times why he does that

·
Registered
771 Posts
I don't know much about football (in my country it's called soccer lol) but they don't get penalized for taking off their shirts AFTER the game right? It's not like Novak takes off his shirt in the middle of the match.

Having said that, I actually agree that I'm not a fan of him taking his shirt off. It doesn't bother me too much though, I still love Nole!

·
Registered
7 Posts
well thats fine i mean of course some people like that some people dont but i dont understand why someone has a problem with that :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Didn't John McEnroe say that male players need to take their shirts off more often in order to attract a teenage female audience? Well Novak's just taking his advice. ;) And if tennis really is the biggest sport in Serbia now then I'd say it's working. I'd also say that he's a pioneer for the new wave of tennis players, but that could be a little much. :angel:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well thats fine i mean of course some people like that some people dont but i dont understand why someone has a problem with that :)
I have a problem with Djokovic celebrating a win by taking his shirt off because it breaches the long-standing traditions and culture of the game. Tennis has a history of socially refined and civilized rules of conduct and sportmanship that has developed in the social club atmosphere. I have been culturalized into this environment for almost 40 years and so I find Djokovic's action disrespects and offends this culture and to me it just looks like an aggressive display of showing off.

As well, please reread my earlier posts in this thread. Now, I hope you understand.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a problem with Djokovic celebrating a win by taking his shirt off because it breaches the long-standing traditions and culture of the game. Tennis has a history of socially refined and civilized rules of conduct and sportmanship that has developed in the social club atmosphere. I have been culturalized into this environment for almost 40 years and so I find Djokovic's action disrespects and offends this culture and to me it just looks like an aggressive display of showing off.

As well, please reread my earlier posts in this thread. Now, I hope you understand.
Everything is changing, the world is changing and tennis with it.
It was unacceptable when wooden tennis rackets were challenged with metal and then plastic (or more appealing terms – boron, magnesium, carbon, titanium…) rackets. When yellow balls were introduced there was uproar. When tennis clothes go some color (other than white) tennis puritans were offended.
The same happened when money was paid (first) for tennis victories and became professional sport.
Monica Seles was chastised for her screams and today most female players scream much louder.
So, Djokovic takes his shirt off. Big deal.
Get a life!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Everything is changing, the world is changing and tennis with it.
It was unacceptable when wooden tennis rackets were challenged with metal and then plastic (or more appealing terms – boron, magnesium, carbon, titanium…) rackets. When yellow balls were introduced there was uproar. When tennis clothes go some color (other than white) tennis puritans were offended.
The same happened when money was paid (first) for tennis victories and became professional sport.
Monica Seles was chastised for her screams and today most female players scream much louder.
So, Djokovic takes his shirt off. Big deal.
Get a life!
You mean that players will take their shirt more frequently when they win in the future?
Haha, just a deduction from what you said:p

·
Registered
18,115 Posts

I can´t understand your point, because tennis is by far no longer like that.
I agree if everything was like in an ideal world we would just see this: 2 or 4 people batteling it out on the court, afterward chaking their hands and maybe earning a little bid money for their job. But that is no longer the case. Players earn more by advertising for products than by wining games. Players even talk about the importance of a certain tennis dress (male and female). One could maybe say that tennis lost its innocence, but thats kind of ok, as the whole world changes and when you would complain about everything you could not live any more.
So why would it be bad if someone took off his shirt considering all the other changes in tennis history.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Empressdiver, couldn't agree more with you. It is just not appropriate and especially not in a sport as tennis. Can't he just celebrate without taking his shirt off, like a normal tennis player? I guess it's only bad for his reputation.
It really has nothing to do with whether Djokovic had a tough match or not, I don't think he does it because his shirt is sweaty (otherwise he would just change it afterwards), I guess he just thinks it's cool. Anyway, hope he stops doing it.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts

I will understand more if you create a thread condemning every professional tennis players taking their shirts off after they won a match and not just Djokovic.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts