Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
12,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He looks quite vulnerable on HC. His ground game needs a lot of work and it's unrealistic to expect him to survive every time he gets in trouble (like what he is doing in Cincy so far). I wouldn't be so shocked if he loses in the QF or before that in USO. Given his current level, it wouldn't be much of a surprise.

For Djokovic's high standards, I bet reaching the F at least is considered "contending" for HC slams but I think his current level isn't great enough yet to make it that far (unless his draw is one big joke lol). However, by next year's AO, his level will be ready to win a HC slam again I'm sure.

Unless he improves dramatically in this coming USO, he won't have a good chance of winning.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
He looks quite vulnerable on HC. His ground game needs a lot of work and it's unrealistic to expect him to survive every time he gets in trouble (like what he is doing in Cincy so far). I wouldn't be so shocked if he loses in the QF or before that in USO. Given his current level, it wouldn't be much of a surprise.

For Djokovic's high standards, I bet reaching the F at least is considered "contending" for HC slams but I think his current level isn't great enough yet to make it that far (unless his draw is one big joke lol). However, by next year's AO, his level will be ready to win a HC slam again I'm sure.

Unless he improves dramatically in this coming USO, he won't have a good chance of winning.

false. he is far more fresh than both federer and nadal.

from what i am seeing from djoker he is the clear favorite to win us open.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
"He looks quite vulnerable on HC"

No he don´t.. main favorite for the title along side Nadal.. keep your average joe doubt to yourself.. and the let the all time great Novak take care of the rest.

·
Banned
9,595 Posts
I love how you didn't mention that he has a stomach virus and that it has been affecting him all tourney. He also on top of that had to play 2 matches in one day in awful weather conditions.

Maybe you should mention this? Thank you.

And it's obvious he will raise his level for a slam. He won Wimby and he'll win USO also.

·
12,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is just pushes too much for my liking. He needs to be more aggressive. Zoning Delpo or Stan can beat him there if he doesn't improve imo. And even maybe a zoning Cilic.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I love how you didn't mention that he has a stomach virus and that it has been affecting him all tourney. He also on top of that had to play 2 matches in one day in awful weather conditions.

Maybe you should mention this? Thank you.

And it's obvious he will raise his level for a slam. He won Wimby and he'll win USO also.
He also failed to mention that Djokovic just won a Grand slam a month ago.. and is very close now to winning another masters title.. yet he "isn't fully ready".

·
Banned
9,595 Posts
He also failed to mention that Djokovic just won a Grand slam a month ago.. and is very close now to winning another masters title.. yet he "isn't fully ready".
Exactly. He beat the computer #1 to win Wimby and the same opponent who beat the computer #2, and he has the audacity to say No1e isn't ready to win a HC slam? :facepalm:

·
Banned
9,595 Posts
I think HC is now his worst surface

He has looked terrible this summer HC season, winning only sheer force of will
Not true. No1e has a stomach virus. He also had to play twice today in bad weather while Raonic was rested and still won.

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you told me he wins Cinci and gets USO SF I'd say where do I sign. However, never count out Nole he could do it. He is the Vegas favorite for a reason.

·
12,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol have you seen 2018 tennis? Djokovic can surely win even in this bad form
Not much tbh. :lol: But from what I've seen so far, Nadal, Delpo, Zverev, Cilic and Federer showed better level on HC this season than current Djokovic. Djokovic won't beat them by just pushing. He needs to play some good tennis to win. In Wimbledon he raised his level at the right time and was serve-boting and super clutch out of nowhere. He was vintage Djokovic in that 1st set and a half vs Nadal but then Pushvak appeared and Nadal started bossing him around from the baseline. Novak's clutch serveboting got him the win that day. On HC it's way different, the serve is less effective so he needs to improve off the ground a lot to stand a chance. Not to mention there are way more threats on HC.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
He is just pushes too much for my liking. He needs to be more aggressive. Zoning Delpo or Stan can beat him there if he doesn't improve imo. And even maybe a zoning Cilic.
what? did you even watch the match vs Raonic.. how the hell is that "pushing".. he was doing hard and deep shots
Anyways, the guy just did 3 great comebacks 3 matches in a row.. 2 coming back from set down, and this one vs Raonic bringing his mental A game when needed most.

Stop living in the MTF illusion of "the opponent choked" or "Djokovic just pushing waiting for an error".. start watching the matches with your own eyes.

I made 3,500USD betting on Novak winning Wimbledon.. was it because i knew he would win it? No.
But i always saw Wimbledon as his break away Grand slam.. 2011.. 2014..
After the match vs Cilic in Queens.. everybody saw a "Not ready, Cilic much bigger favorite for Wimbledon"
What i saw was an amazing tournament played by Djokovic.. and that when he had match points and did not convert, was a no big deal.. he just got excited that he was about to start winning tournaments again.

Will Djokovic win USO18? I do not know..is he ready? Absolutely yes

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Would anyone have made the case before this tournament that edging Raonic and Dimitrov in 3 meant much in terms of being in form for the following slam?

I doubt it highly. Pretty sure that if Federer had done it most Djokovic fans here would have said that it meant very little indeed.

I can't conclude much from what I've seen of Djokovic as his form is all over the place and he should not have to break twice to win sets or go to 3 sets against guys who have been irrelevant all year.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Not much tbh. :lol: But from what I've seen so far, Nadal, Delpo, Zverev, Cilic and Federer showed better level on HC this season than current Djokovic. Djokovic won't beat them by just pushing. He needs to play some good tennis to win. In Wimbledon he raised his level at the right time and was serve-boting and super clutch out of nowhere. He was vintage Djokovic in that 1st set and a half vs Nadal but then Pushvak appeared and Nadal started bossing him around from the baseline. Novak's clutch serveboting got him the win that day. On HC it's way different, the serve is less effective so he needs to improve off the ground a lot to stand a chance. Not to mention there are way more threats on HC.
This is a red letter day. I am in total agreement with a Novak fan. :surprise: Obviously I would not have bothered writing it but I could not have put it better myself. And it is exactly the same for all players now. Rafa must be grinning like the Cheshire cat watching everyone play back to back (?to back) matches just to catch up.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts

\Yeah once again I agree with your analysis. He is def not back to top form, kind of got off the hook with Raonic.

Either grass is better for him than HC (that's not usually the case) or like Becker said: Rafa inspires him. He was weak in Toronto and even though he's going through here, his form is not that great.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts