Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He stays too close to the baseline and has troubles even when returning second serve. He should stay far back to return decently just to get the ball back into play instead of being aced easily since servebots usually have poor baseline game.

Nadal has no problem except on faster court since he is able to return with heavy topspin by staying far back. But he gets into trouble on faster courts like grass since he cannot stay far back there. He would've beaten Ranoic with ease.

Murray is the best returner as we all know. He did have troubles returning servebots' first serve sometimes but at least he wouldn't return their second serves right into the net like Djokovic.

Federer's reflexe is getting worse because of aging but he can still slice return with very low ball bouncing causing troubles to servebots who try to come to the net.

Discuss.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Djokovic never blocks big servers like Murray and Federer.He attacks them and that is why he is doing worse
He has a poor tactics against servebots NID.
Nadal always beata servebots in straight sets but Djokovic, a better returner in many's eyes, always gets into troubles. When is the last time he beats Isner in straight set?

·
Registered
24,699 Posts
the worst is rafa for me, he does not seem to read them well and almost never attack them. I think Nole is much bettre than rafa :tennis:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
He has a poor tactics against servebots NID.
Nadal always beata servebots in straight sets but Djokovic, a better returner in many's eyes, always gets into troubles. When is the last time he beats Isner in straight set?
in Davis Cup I think

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
the worst is rafa for me, he does not seem to read them well and almost never attack them. I think Nole is much bettre than rafa :tennis:
He beat Ranoic and Isner in stright sets on fast hard court. He would never lose a set against Raonic on clay unlike Djokovic. It is an unnecessary risk to attack serves so much on slow surface like clay as well.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Nadal has mental issues with returning. If you watch his matches with Wawrinka and Nishikori, he repeatedly dumped mediocre 2nd serves into the net on break points. He improved a little since playing Murray in Rome.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another interesting stats showing Djokovic maybe stay too close to the baseline on slower courts at least, taking unnecessary risk, similar to the risk of attacking servebots' serve instead of just blocking it.

The number of aces in the Nadal-Djokovic match in grand slam:
2012AO,slow court Nadal 10-9 Djokovic
2012RG,slow court Nadal 4-3 Djokovic
2013RG,slow court Nadal 6-5 Djokovic
2013USO,fast court Nadal 1-6 Djokovic (but the only ace from Nadal was also the match saving ace)

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nadal has mental issues with returning. If you watch his matches with Wawrinka and Nishikori, he repeatedly dumped mediocre 2nd serves into the net on break points. He improved a little since playing Murray in Rome.
I was shocked when he missed 3 consecutive break point opportunities on Wawrinka's second serve in this year's AO. But Nadal is injured in that match so we should be more lenient.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
huh, what :lol:? Feeling stupid today. It's OK with me :).

Now, the lesson and it's very simple ... let's go ... breath ... say 1 , 2, 3 ... Djokovic has the best ROS EVER. If you still don't understand repeat it again ... now you'll be saved and go to heaven. Jesus said so

1234, breath. get some water too.

Mods, how do we ban stupidity on this board :cool:?

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
huh, what :lol:? Feeling stupid today. It's OK with me :).

Now, the lesson and it's very simple ... let's go ... breath ... say 1 , 2, 3 ... Djokovic has the best ROS EVER. If you still don't understand repeat it again ... now you'll be saved and go to heaven.

1234, breath. get some water too.

Mods, how do we ban stupidity on this board :cool:?
Can you explain to me why Nadal beats servebots in stright sets again and again but Djokvoic drops a set usually even on clay?

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Big fail this thread. :lol:

The worst is Rafa, last match against Isner he wasn't even able to break at all, he just won in 2 TB's. Also in RG 2011 he had huge trouble too.

Very tough matches vs. Karlovic too. I remember a Queen's match that went to 3 TB's, no breaks at all. Also very tough match in Indian Wells (2010 or 2011 I think).

He seems to get more success vs. Raonic though.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I've said this countless times as well, his ROS is only really good against wta servers like dull. Its no coincidence that the players he struggles against all have excellent serves - isner, federer, del potro, murray (although his second serve is shit). Even past-his-prime roddick gave him huge trouble.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Big fail this thread. :lol:

The worst is Rafa, last match against Isner he wasn't even able to break at all, he just won in 2 TB's. Also in RG 2011 he had huge trouble too.

Very tough matches vs. Karlovic too. I remember a Queen's match that went to 3 TB's, no breaks at all. Also very tough match in Indian Wells (2010 or 2011 I think).

He seems to get more success vs. Raonic though.
He wasn't able to break Isner but at least he didn't drop a set and hold serve easily. In contrast, Djokovic usually drops a set against Isner and had no clue to break Isner's serve while having trouble to hold serve:spit:

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
He wasn't able to break Isner but at least he didn't drop a set and hold serve easily. In contrast, Djokovic usually drops a set against Isner and had no clue of breaking Isner's serve while having trouble to hold serve:spit:
What exactly this (in bold) has to do with being a better or worst returner?

Btw, the last time Novak played Isner he broke his serve 5 times.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I've said this countless times as well, his ROS is only really good against wta servers like dull. Its no coincidence that the players he struggles against all have excellent serves - isner, federer, del potro, murray (although his second serve is shit). Even past-his-prime roddick gave him huge trouble.
I'd add Wawrinka (and even Dimitrov) to the list. He is stupid to try to attack servebots' 220kmh big serve. Also his rhyme is easily interrupted by these big serve. :wavey:

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What exactly this (in bold) has to do with being a better or worst returner?

Btw, the last time Novak played Isner he broke his serve 5 times.
He was just unlucky for not being able to break Isner's service game. At least Isner didn't have the serve advantage in tie-breaker

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
He stays too close to the baseline and has troubles even when returning second serve. He should stay far back to return decently just to get the ball back into play instead of being aced easily since servebots usually have poor baseline game.

Nadal has no problem except on faster court since he is able to return with heavy topspin by staying far back. But he gets into trouble on faster courts like grass since he cannot stay far back there. He would've beaten Ranoic with ease.

Murray is the best returner as we all know. He did have troubles returning servebots' first serve sometimes but at least he wouldn't return their second serves right into the net like Djokovic.

Federer's reflexe is getting worse because of aging but he can still slice return with very low ball bouncing causing troubles to servebots who try to come to the net.

Discuss.

You just stating an opinion or you have stats to back up your claims? What you're saying may well be true, but without proof, it's just an opinion, nothing more.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You just stating an opinion or you have stats to back up your claims? What you're saying may well be true, but without proof, it's just an opinion, nothing more.
There is no substantial stats but my argument is based on their recent results against servebots

1 - 20 of 131 Posts