Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
12,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before clowns replay with 17 > 15, I'll say this. Novak's resume/records outside slams is WAY more impressive overall. More top 10 wins, leads H2H, more weeks at #1, better at 3/4 slams etc. Rafa has big hole in his resume which is WTF. Not winning it even once is pretty embarrassing for a GOAT candidate.

In terms of game, Novak is just way better technically. Rafa's game relies way more on brute force, his top spin and exposing BHs of other players. He is titan mentally and a freak of nature but Novak technical superiority probably will make him greater eventually.

All in all, 2 great legends but imo now Novak has a legit argument for 2nd best all-time (after Federer obviously). His peak level is just too damn good.

Of course if Rafa wins RG, he will be the clear 2nd best again. Atm, I think they are about even.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I'd say it's very likely Djokovic surpasses Federer in weeks at number one now. Less likely he'll match Federer's majors count. As he gets closer to that weeks record, yeah - he looks even with Nadal.

Ofc, Nadal is more likely to surpass Federer in majors, so, there's that. Landscape changes if/when Nadal wins FO in a few months time.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I think you won't need any long analysis by the end of the year djokovic has a very good chance to hit #17 I don't see anyone stopping him nadal looked horrible and federer is too old .

·
Registered
131 Posts
Before clowns replay with 17 > 15, I'll say this. Novak's resume/records outside slams is WAY more impressive overall. More top 10 wins, leads H2H, more weeks at #1, better at 3/4 slams etc. Rafa has big hole in his resume which is WTF. Not winning it even once is pretty embarrassing for a GOAT candidate.

In terms of game, Novak is just way better technically. Rafa's game relies way more on brute force, his top spin and exposing BHs of other players. He is titan mentally and a freak of nature but Novak technical superiority probably will make him greater eventually.

All in all, 2 great legends but imo now Novak has a legit argument for 2nd best all-time (after Federer obviously). His peak level is just too damn good.
He is an amazing player, just like Nadal. His win tonight did not change any of the subjective measures did it? You argue that he is technically skilled etc, these are all subjective arguments. When the future looks back they will only care for slam counts when comparing players. Our current generation will be elderly sirs and ladies who tell subjective stories however this will all be lost over time.

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
Just because the numbers are so large, people begin to play down the importance of 2 slams. Djokovic will certainly eclipse Nadal's count, so no need for this kind of chat now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
djokovic is the greatest athlete of all time. fact

1 - 10 of 10 Posts