Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 80 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
So, you become the greatest ever by stopping competing at slams before the 26th birthday.
Yes that was my point entirely. Well spotted!
Fine, but that's just not a GOAT list, sorry. Djokovic has six GS more than Borg so far, no amount of flair and fainting fangirls could trump that.
Britney Spears is more successful than Tom Petty in terms of sales. Ergo: She is more important musically!

·
Registered
592 Posts
As already mentioned you can create your own list and name it "the most influential tennis players of all time" based on player's overall resume, popularity, impact on the game etc.

At the end of the day calling Borg greater than Laver or Rosewall would be pretty dubious IMO or any Fedalovic greater than the other if they all finish within a couple of slams from each other.

Winning the most majors is reward enough, and even that can be disputed by Borg's skipping of AO, more homogenized surfaces in Fedalovic's or Laver's time than Sampras' etc.
Agree with most statements here - you do seem to understand my main point at least. (Which wasn't "Borg is the GOAT" btw.)

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Agree with most statements here - you do seem to understand my main point at least. (Which wasn't "Borg is the GOAT" btw.)
You can also create the Goat list by the age (records only), and in such list Borg would probably still be the goat by the 25th birthday, Nadal or Federer by 26/27th, Federer by 30th, Djokovic and Nadal by 33 and 34, Federer again by 36/37.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lol, Borg is not GOAT anyway
Current Goat list-Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, and may be Sampras or Laver and nobody else.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Not the same As most of her slams came pre Open Era. Not to mention that in the 11 Australian Opens she won draws were reduced greatly and she was playing mainly against other Australians as most top players used to skip the AO.
She won 24 Grand Slam trophies. That is fact. She has a stadium named after her. A lot of people consider her to be the women's GOAT. Serena talks about surpassing her record a lot. HOWEVER, her homophobic and bigoted views have probably shaved off a good 5-10 of those slams. Her GOAT status is very much tainted by her as a person, her image. Same parallel can be made for Djokovic - his obsession with surpassing Fedal and being loved added to his reckless COVID naked nightclub dancing and his recent default from a major definitely effects his GOAT credibility.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
She won 24 Grand Slam trophies. That is fact. She has a stadium named after her. A lot of people consider her to be the women's GOAT. Serena talks about surpassing her record a lot. HOWEVER, her homophobic and bigoted views have probably shaved off a good 5-10 of those slams. Her GOAT status is very much tainted by her as a person, her image. Same parallel can be made for Djokovic - his obsession with surpassing Fedal and being loved added to his reckless COVID naked nightclub dancing and his recent default from a major definitely effects his GOAT credibility.
It's also a fact that she won a lot of her slams against depleted fields where top players skipped the AO all together.

Nobody was even talking about her record until Serena surpassed Steffi and rightfully so.

·
Registered
592 Posts
You can also create the Goat list by the age (records only), and in such list Borg would probably still be the goat by the 25th birthday, Nadal or Federer by 26/27th, Federer by 30th, Djokovic and Nadal by 33 and 34, Federer again by 36/37.
Probably. But my initial point was that there are aspects other than match stats that determine greatness - in my opinion. I will happily leave the goat debate to those who count numbers and nothing else matters.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Translation: I believe I am the greatest tennis player who ever lived. In order to prove this I must ruthlessly erase Roger's records from the record books. It will be my pleasure to do this asap.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Muhammad Ali basically said the exactly same thing as this by Djokovic but he summed it up more succinctly: "I am the greatest."

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't understand why people are taking Djokovic as the threat, the guy is a hot headed clown and 4 slams away anyway. In three weeks Nadal will most likely equal Federer's grand slam record and will have the clearest path to surpass it in '21.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I don't understand why people are taking Djokovic as the threat, the guy is a hot headed clown and 4 slams away anyway. In three weeks Nadal will most likely equal Federer's grand slam record and will have the clearest path to surpass it in '21.
Because Djokovic will be the favourite to win AO and Wimbledon for the next couple of years while Rafa is not a favourite at any slam except the French Open at this stage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As fresh Nadal vs tired Medvedev from his much harder USO'19 half (let's not even talk about RG'19 schedule blunder), or Federer recently vs Cilic.

If Djokovic had got all those Nadal's AO,USO,RG cakewalk draws instead, he would've been well past 19 and Nadal at maxim.16.
I always find a Croat's love for a Serbian cheat quaint...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm a Roger fan and I enjoy watching Rafa and Nole chase him. They both have a good chance to overtake Roger's GSs but nothing is set in stone. Exciting times ahead.

But GSs will not change who the one and only GOAT really is. There is no doubt about that.:
It's Nole for Nole fans.
It's Rafa for Rafa fans.
It's Roger for Roger fans.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I'm a Roger fan and I enjoy watching Rafa and Nole chase him. They both have a good chance to overtake Roger's GSs but nothing is set in stone. Exciting times ahead.

But GSs will not change who the one and only GOAT really is. There is no doubt about that.:
It's Nole for Nole fans.
It's Rafa for Rafa fans.*
It's Roger for Roger fans.*

Put an asteriks there to be correct.

*We all know a couple of 40-15er fans who saw the light, the same applies for Dull fans they all bow down to the King.

61 - 80 of 136 Posts