Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“I am not the president of the ATP. I understand you want to get information out of me,” Djokovic said.

“Some information I can give you, some I am just not in that privileged position to give you.

Or I can and it’s not fair towards the president of the ATP or board members that are also supposed to communicate.

I feel that I’ve been exposed way too much for being the president of the council.

Everyone holds me accountable for every single thing that happens in tennis at the moment.

I think it’s unfair. I am not the only one there.

If somebody wants to understand how the structure works then he wouldn’t be having that kind of approach.

That’s what I’m trying to talk to you about here. Not about the information that is going about there.

Some of it is correct and some of it is not.

I just feel like the way we go about things there is a lack of respect, pointing out to one guy and putting all the pressure on him.

That’s the only thing. I just think the process could be handled differently.”
[ame]https://youtu.be/pL2foUbpgw4?t=183[/ame] starts at 3:03

Ben Rothenberg is an embarrassment
:facepalm:

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Djokovic 'killed' that silly American. He listened, he was patient. He tried to explain how the council works.

That guy is just a moron. There is another thread about this. Sometimes, I hate the media. Always, looking for some drama.

Djokovic was chosen by his peers. He does not decide anything. It's a team effort. Please let's be objective. Yes, he is the President of the council but his job also is to protect other players. Again, they work as a team.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The problem nowadays in media, and this is not exclusive to tennis, is that the press wants to write stories that are able to garner audience and clicks in the internet rather than telling what is factual without bias. They pin Nole to ATP intrigues and politics so that people will read their articles. Gone are the days when journalists write for the truth; They write to satisfy their advertisers.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I watched that presser last night. Novak was very polite and tried his best to explain some things but it's like talking to a wall.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Rothenberg is a disgrace to journalism, just like every far-left 'journalist' that chooses to blend their personal opinion and social commentary into their stories. The guy looks for trouble that isn't there, ignores facts and does whatever he can to get some BS story that non-tennis fans will click on.

I met him a few times before (one time he stayed at the same AirBnb as me beside the stadium) and he was so full of himself and his opinions. Not ready to listen to the other side, just as he seemed to do with Novak here. Very good job by Nole to keep his composure, stick to the facts and make Ben look like the idiot that he is.

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
Impressed by Novak's patience, nicely done.

Rothenberg is such an entitled clown.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yeah, the central issue has always been Gimelstob, not really Novak or anyone/anything else. The issue has always been how the hell that man can continue to stick around as some sort of an ATP big shot. And I do agree with many that he absolutely should NOT belong where he stands now.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Was there ever an exposure problem for Council Presidents before Djokovic? : )
I dont think so. I think its mainly because of rafa and roger, tbh i am disappointed with them, they are talking to the media way too much rather than converse with the council members. They were used to getting their way when they were there. Federer wasnt even dragged as he was one of the people that pushed for homogeneous of surfaces, only nadal was dragged. Nadal selfishness is really not a good look, he just doesnt think of anyone else but whats good for him.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Yeah, the central issue has always been Gimelstob, not really Novak or anyone/anything else. The issue has always been how the hell that man can continue to stick around as some sort of an ATP big shot. And I do agree with many that he absolutely should NOT belong where he stands now.
Kermode was more of an issue than gimelstob. At least to federer and nadal.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
It’s probably the issue with Gimelstob and voting off Kermode that caused the issue for Djokovic. People think he and Gimelstob are friends and they support each other and it does look like they’re friends with this video.

Such disappointment. I thought this gonna be Nole and Justin kicking people's asses together, having bsdm fun with Kournikova, or running off to Bolivia with suitcases full of dirty dollars. Instead, it's Gimelstob praising Novak for not charging for charity gigs like some other players. Just terrible. :spit:

·
justice for all
13,091 Posts
I don't know Novak Djokovic personally but in this presser he sounds like a reasonable guy.

On the other hand this whole "friendship" and close connection with Gimelstob not only looks cringeworthy but might also look suspicious for those who thrive conspiracy theories.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I don't know Novak Djokovic personally but in this presser he sounds like a reasonable guy.

On the other hand this whole "friendship" and close connection with Gimelstob not only looks cringeworthy but might also look suspicious for those who thrive conspiracy theories.
Garbage.

Who is NOT friends with Gimelstob? He was everyone's best friend until it became clear that he will kick Kermode out.

Then and only then he became a villain and this entire (British media driven) narrative of "Gimelsob vs Kermode" was manufactured out of a hat (in March 2019). Until then Gimelstob was the untouchable golden boy and friends with everyone from Kermode to Navratilova to Wimbledon Royal Box princesses and duchesses to Ben Rothenberg himself (back when Gimelstob incident occurred last year's Halloween Ben was defending Gimelstob's privacy...

And Nadal was defending Gimelstob literally two days ago so I don't even know what the point of all this is. There's not one person in the tennis establishment who can legitimately claim to be a consistent opponent of Gimelstob.

And as for Djokovic, he has a point. Kermode is the president and managing CEO of the entire ATP yet somehow evrey responsibility seem to get diverted away from where the buck stops and passed down to the mid-level guys... Gimelstob, Djokovic, etc etc..

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,190 Posts
Such disappointment. I thought this gonna be Nole and Justin kicking people's asses together, having bsdm fun with Kournikova, or running off to Bolivia with suitcases full of dirty dollars. Instead, it's Gimelstob praising Novak for not charging for charity gigs like some other players. Just terrible. :spit:
He didn't say Roger and Rafa charge for charity matches, he made a fallacy when he said that. Players charge for non-charity exhos just like Novak.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts