Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kyrgios is not such a bad guy, says Djokovic

By Zoran Milosavljevic

BELGRADE (Reuters) – Novak Djokovic does not have a problem with his outspoken peer on the men’s ATP Tour Nick Kyrgios or the Australian’s stinging remarks regarding the Serb’s personality, the world number one said on Wednesday.

While speaking to tennis writer Ben Rothenberg on the ‘No Challenges Remaining’ podcast last month, Kyrgios described Djokovic as someone who has a “sick obsession” with being as popular as Swiss rival Roger Federer.

The 24-year-old Kyrgios made the comments during the Italian Open in Rome where he was expelled from the tournament during his second-round match with Norwegian Casper Ruud after hurling a chair on to the court.

During the podcast, Kyrgios also ripped into Rafael Nadal and the Spaniard’s uncle Toni and, after being defaulted from the tournament in Rome, he pulled out of the French Open having used expletive language to describe the event at Roland Garros.

Despite that tantrum, Djokovic, who is preparing in the sweltering heat of a hardcourt complex in central Belgrade for this year’s July 1-14 Wimbledon championships, expressed sympathy for the Australian.

“Honestly, I think that deep down he is not such a bad guy,” Djokovic said of Kyrgios after a two-hour practice session at a tennis academy managed by his close friend Janko Tipsarevic, a member of Serbia’s 2010 Davis Cup-winning team.

“I don’t know why Kyrgios says all these things. Whether he is seeking attention or has some other motive, he obviously wants to be sincere and transparent. It’s the way he is, I respect that like I respect all other players on tour.

“He can say what he wants, I don’t have a problem with it. Does he show me the same amount of respect that most other players do? No, he doesn’t, but that’s the way he communicates these days.”

SOMETHING CHANGED

World number one Djokovic revealed that the two were actually close to establishing a healthy relationship before the Australian turned on the 32-year-old from Belgrade.

“Before he unleashed this wave of criticisms against me, I actually met him off court during a U.S. Open tournament, five years ago I think, and talked to him a bit,” said Djokovic.

“It was at a time when everyone was on his case because of his antics.

“I offered help in the sense that I told him he could always come and talk to me if he needed to, because I faced similar situations and the same kind of criticism for my behaviour when I was younger.

“But something changed inside him from that point on. I’d never had that kind of problem with anyone else on tour but I am not losing any sleep over it. I don’t understand why or what happened but I don’t judge him.”
Source: https://www.euronews.com/2019/06/19/kyrgios-is-not-such-a-bad-guy-says-djokovic

·
|
14,290 Posts
I think Kyrgios graves attention, and he realized he's not good enough to win slams, so he's chosen the route of stupidity, he's gaining attention by being as stupid as possible.
He's hopeless at basketball (he's so bad he quit basketball to play a sport he hates), and he's only an average pro tennis player, so he has nothing left other than stupidity.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Djokovic tries to help too many people and gets nothing for it, not even basic respect. That's what Tipsarevic too said about him. So he tried to talk to Kyrgios and this guy probably took it as a patronizing critique. No wonder he doesn't have a coach.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Djokovic tries to help too many people and gets nothing for it, not even basic respect. That's what Tipsarevic too said about him. So he tried to talk to Kyrgios and this guy probably took it as a patronizing critique. No wonder he doesn't have a coach.
Quite right. Don't bother, just let him rot.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
In a way, Kyrgios has similarities to how Fognini used to act, although Fog always had a different kind of charisma. Both are doing the "I'm too cool for tennis" act. But while this attitude made Fognini tank against the best players so he would never have to experience to feeling of giving his all and still lose... Kyrgios on the other hand is tanking his career as a whole.

That said, Fognini and Kyrgios have the natural ability to appeal to crowds and make them passionate.
Djokovic, champion as he is, doesn't have it. That's why he tries so hard.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Lmao, this is one of the few instances where I can agree with people when they say the big 3 are too sterile and PR-focused, never wanting to cause offence.

No need for Djokovic to be the bigger man in this instance, drag that idiot from here to Belgrade. Although, I can see why Djokovic might not want to get into an exchange with Kyrgios considering he'll have all the time in the world to formulate a response, seeing as he's a nothing player in most tournaments.

·
Registered
21,279 Posts
But yeah this incident pretty much proves how big of a PR bot Djokovic is. Biggest PR bot among the big 3 imo, though the competition is strong there

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
But yeah this incident pretty much proves how big of a PR bot Djokovic is. Biggest PR bot among the big 3 imo, though the competition is strong there
I'm pretty sure it's beyond PR botting, it's a state of mind where they force themselves to brush over any sort of unnecessary confrontations and drama. There's a reason all 3 of them rarely get into off-the-court antics, they keep all their mental strength to focus on winning, and it's one of the big reasons they're the best 3. They're a bit in their own world.

Of course, when they're losing or in a bad day, you can see a glimpse of each of their personalities on court or during interviews - Nole gets angry/aggressive/entitled, Fed gets grumpy/arrogant/petulent, and Rafa is a bit of a sore loser and grasps at straws or implies he was not at his best.

All in all they're all well-oiled winning machines though, and the PR-botting is part of their formula for success :grin2: Where did the bitching and bad mouthing take Kyrgios?

·
Registered
336 Posts
In a way, Kyrgios has similarities to how Fognini used to act, although Fog always had a different kind of charisma. Both are doing the "I'm too cool for tennis" act. But while this attitude made Fognini tank against the best players so he would never have to experience to feeling of giving his all and still lose... Kyrgios on the other hand is tanking his career as a whole.

That said, Fognini and Kyrgios have the natural ability to appeal to crowds and make them passionate.
Djokovic, champion as he is, doesn't have it. That's why he tries so hard.
Fognini by most accounts only acts like an asshole on the court though. Seems to be pretty well liked on the tour even with his antics

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
Lmao, this is one of the few instances where I can agree with people when they say the big 3 are too sterile and PR-focused, never wanting to cause offence.

No need for Djokovic to be the bigger man in this instance, drag that idiot from here to Belgrade. Although, I can see why Djokovic might not want to get into an exchange with Kyrgios considering he'll have all the time in the world to formulate a response, seeing as he's a nothing player in most tournaments.
Even though Novak can be too PC and cringey at times too, I think he's 100% genuine here - he has really no reason to "fight" with Kyrgios as he's almost 10 years older and likely barely even knows the guy outside of those two matches they played. Not to mention that taking the high road makes Nick look like even bigger clown. :grin2:

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Honestly, I'm not sure what is wrong with Nick. Why does he have to talk so much? What's the point?

You don't need to be so stupid. Just, let it go whatever your problem is.

Go play some basketball if you wish. Do not trash other players. Djokovic, like it or not is the world #1. You don't have to love him but show some respect for God's sake.

This is just wrong. Nick also said so many nasty things about Rafa. :cuckoo:.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
While Kyrgios said the Serbian is an "unbelievable player" and "champion of the sport, one of the greatest," he also added, "I’m sorry, but if you can’t beat me, you’re not the greatest of all time."

Djokovic addresses Kyrgios drama, Thiem loss & Wimbledon preparations | TENNIS.com - Live Scores, News, Player Rankings

lol, guys, here comes the golden standard of GOAT.
How arrogant is this statement? I mean, you only played each other twice, during Djokovic's weakest year and both matches were pretty close...definitely not blow outs. Imagine if someone like Zverev or Tsitsipas said this type of stuff. The internet forums would light their asses up.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts