Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"He was very talented. He was always very talented," said the Serb, reminiscing on his time with Gulbis at the Pilic Academy. "I remember [he] came out in the practices swinging fully through the ball. Didn't really care too much. He respected his coach. He respected, you know, the players that he liked."

"The others, he just crushed on the court on the practice and the tournaments as well. He always had this confidence about him that you could say that even though he was 14, 15 at the time that he's going to become something big. He had a game and he also had no fear. He was coming out on the courts, as I said, always being perfectionist, always trying to improve his game, you know, never been too happy about the game, always seeking to get better."

"He was always somebody who was very enthusiastic about everything in life, and you could see he wanted to enjoy it with open arms."

Whilst being aware of Gulbis' talent, Djokovic was also aware of his tendency to slack off on training from time to time. "There were times when he liked to work," he said. "There were times when he didn't like to work so much so that Niki had to make him work. With me, it wasn't such a hassle for working, but generally we always got along really well on and off the court."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"For me, I found throughout these years what is important for me to be truly happy," said Gulbis on Tuesday. "My happiness comes only from doing my job well. Then I can really live my life to the maximum. I can enjoy the stuff much more."

"For me it's really important for my happiness just to be successful on the tennis court. Forget about the money. Forget about fame. It's just about my inner comfort. That's it. For me, that's all that matters in the end of the day."

"I just thought everything is gonna come too easy for me. I wasn't really thinking about it and not putting enough effort into it. I was in school. I never had problems in school. Everything was coming easy. All the information. Tennis, everything was coming easy. I thought I'm just gonna grind in life like this, easy without any effort, and be successful. And then... And then... **** happened."

·
Registered
21,394 Posts
No comments for more than an hour - seems like there's an overload of Gulbis threads currently. Still thanks for posting these quotes :yeah: I don't think there's any bad blood between them.
Is that why Gulbis said he doesn't like Djokovic and thinks he is fake?

·
Registered
21,394 Posts

·
Come on, Ernest!
17,055 Posts
Is that why Gulbis said he doesn't like Djokovic and thinks he is fake?
I can't remember any interviews where he's said that :scratch: Anyway, I'm not saying they're best friends, I'm saying I think they were friendly in their youth and then grew apart and at the moment have no particular reason to be mad or upset with each other.

Edit: That article was translated at least two times so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
"He was very talented. He was always very talented," said the Serb, reminiscing on his time with Gulbis at the Pilic Academy. "I remember [he] came out in the practices swinging fully through the ball. Didn't really care too much. He respected his coach. He respected, you know, the players that he liked."

"The others, he just crushed on the court on the practice and the tournaments as well. He always had this confidence about him that you could say that even though he was 14, 15 at the time that he's going to become something big. He had a game and he also had no fear. He was coming out on the courts, as I said, always being perfectionist, always trying to improve his game, you know, never been too happy about the game, always seeking to get better."

"He was always somebody who was very enthusiastic about everything in life, and you could see he wanted to enjoy it with open arms."

Whilst being aware of Gulbis' talent, Djokovic was also aware of his tendency to slack off on training from time to time. "There were times when he liked to work," he said. "There were times when he didn't like to work so much so that Niki had to make him work. With me, it wasn't such a hassle for working, but generally we always got along really well on and off the court."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"For me, I found throughout these years what is important for me to be truly happy," said Gulbis on Tuesday. "My happiness comes only from doing my job well. Then I can really live my life to the maximum. I can enjoy the stuff much more."

"For me it's really important for my happiness just to be successful on the tennis court. Forget about the money. Forget about fame. It's just about my inner comfort. That's it. For me, that's all that matters in the end of the day."

"I just thought everything is gonna come too easy for me. I wasn't really thinking about it and not putting enough effort into it. I was in school. I never had problems in school. Everything was coming easy. All the information. Tennis, everything was coming easy. I thought I'm just gonna grind in life like this, easy without any effort, and be successful. And then... And then... **** happened."

Easy thing to say when you don't have to worry about it. I wonder if he came from Nole's background if he'd make the same statement. I'm not saying that money will make you happy, but when you don't have it, when you don't have money to eat, travel/pay for tennis lessons/coaches etc., you certainly won't be beaming with joy.

Sure, tennis is about passion, had work and inner peace, but, unless you're wealthy, it's also about money, a way out, a way to a better life, and yes, fame, too. I always find it funny when top athletes, music and movies starts talk about not wanting to be famous (only thing more hilarious is when they thank god for their success/making them so special)...then choose another profession! There are plenty other, more noble professions. Want an inner peace? Become a Buddhist or something. Stop talking about how you never wanted to be famous, how it's all about work/inner peace...it's all BS. All these top athletes dream about being no.1 in the world, about playing in the biggest tournaments in the world...and then they contradict themselves by saying that never wanted fame. Sure.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Here's my opinion about this. I think Gulbis is honest and Djokovic is trying to not agitate Gulbis much before their clash by praising him. If Djokovic was truly honest he would speak differently of Gulbis.

But as always Gulbis keeping it real. No bs no lies just saying it like it is.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
between the lines: Gulbis is arrogant prick

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Here's my opinion about this. I think Gulbis is honest and Djokovic is trying to not agitate Gulbis much before their clash by praising him. If Djokovic was truly honest he would speak differently of Gulbis.

But as always Gulbis keeping it real. No bs no lies just saying it like it is.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
And you know this how? You're making it sound like you know them both personally. You have no idea who's honest and who's lying.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Gulbis quote:
For me it's really important for my happiness just to be successful on the tennis court. Forget about the money. Forget about fame. It's just about my inner comfort. That's it. For me, that's all that matters in the end of the day."

Funny how I read in an interview last year where he said Federer played for money, fame and then later on records. How does he know that? Maybe, just maybe others feel as he does...

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Gulbis quote:
For me it's really important for my happiness just to be successful on the tennis court. Forget about the money. Forget about fame. It's just about my inner comfort. That's it. For me, that's all that matters in the end of the day."

Funny how I read in an interview last year where he said Federer played for money, fame and then later on records. How does he know that? Maybe, just maybe others feel as he does...
If my father was a billionaire, I wouldn't play for money either. Then I'd play for "inner peace" too.

·
♥ eve ♥
40,985 Posts
:lol: funny how the gulbis fangirls seem to always blame mistranslation/lack of english skills any time their hero's speaking off his arse :eek:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

·
Registered
21,394 Posts
That's a Serbian site with no references to any Latvian interview.

I'm sure I would've remembered reading an interview where Gulbis said "I don't like Djokovic".

It must be either made up or translated with google translate and completely misinterpreted.
It must be because Gulbis would never say something like that :lol:?

It was taken from a radio interview, here you have a comment from a Latvian poster confirming that's what he said:

Well, that's what he said. I don't think I can find any transcript for this interview as it was an interview on a radio channel SWH. When I was listening on the radio it didn't seem to sound offensive, he just answered a question, when the interviewer asked a question about, whether Ernests is happy for other players' success, and then he answered that he was happy about Wawrinka and Gasquet for reaching the semis as they're cool guys and he knows them from locker room very well, and then he somehow continued by saying those few sentences about Novak.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
If Gulbis was so honest and brave why he took MTO just before Federer to serve for the set?! So he used all dirty games to win. He is absolutely idiot who is looking for glory.Yeah Federer does not train ,does not work he just goes on court and play.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts